6 minutes ago, Adam75 said:

There are some big names, but mostly quite niche. Gonna be interesting. Risk of loads of people just there for the spectacle. That system is gonna be tested, alot of the line up feels suited to a small space. 

I have every confidence 

Thank you for your response! 

In all the years I’ve been going I’ve never once gone into NYC downlow. Anyone got a link to a set on YouTube/soundcloud/Spotify of the sort of music they play? I’m not really familiar with the artists round that part of the festival. Would love to know what sort of music to expect just incase it’s not my sort of thing and queue for hours.  

51 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Ah, I've heard of Black Madonna!

I'll await @bennyhana22's verdict... 

Copied from the Electronic/Dance thread, for convenience, rather than laziness!

Well...

Genosys
- Randomer
- HAAi
- Josh Wink (he' should be amazing on there - he's a very talented old school DJ. As long as he gets the Genosys brief memo...!)
- Leeon
- Partok - I bloody love him. Missed him in 2017 as he was given a bollocks slot at about 7pm or something. Hopefully later this year...
- Placid - There were about three of us there for him in 2017. Quality, proper acid

IICON
- Zenker Brothers
- Demdike Stare - well, they look bloody interesting!
- Karenn - it will surprise no-one to hear that this is now my most anticipated set of the weekend...although I thought we had heard that    Blawan wasn't p[laying any shows...
- Hodge (highly rated by Child 1. Could be pretty mega)
- Stenny
- A-Future (nice to have a bit of decent electro and breaks)
- CCAI - always wanted to see an algorave set. Could be shocking, but I'd like to see it, especially on IICON
- Hessle

Notable absentees, as noted, in Ms Emerson and Mr Cox ?

I dearly hope that AE is not only on in the Beat Hotel. It's just not my favourite place. And where, oh where, is Coxy doing that final techno set?

It MUST be an as yet unannounced set on IICON...? I expect to see a conspicuous TBA 0200-0400h one night...

Overall, that's a pretty amazing drop and, coupled with what we already have, navigating my festival nights is going to need military precision...

Ben

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, lobo said:

In all the years I’ve been going I’ve never once gone into NYC downlow. Anyone got a link to a set on YouTube/soundcloud/Spotify of the sort of music they play? I’m not really familiar with the artists round that part of the festival. Would love to know what sort of music to expect just incase it’s not my sort of thing and queue for hours.  

https://thenycdownlow.com/

a lot of historic sets available here. Some greats to listen to is Luke howard, prosumer, black Madonna 2016 and masters at work 2017

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Okay let do my best here to tip some folks wise:

Genosys – major doof with a twist

HAAi is the new superstar of the Daniel Avery / Andrew Weatherall / Erol Alkan world. Trippy, rock-informed techno. She will level the place. Same too Anthony Parasole and Randomer. Massive warehouse techno with a hint of trance uplift. Here's a good starter on HAAi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btFDS6bdb8w

Honcho is the best gay party in America, Leeon is a resident of Bogota's Video Club, Partok is the biggest name to come from Tel Aviv's The Block, Dan Beaumont runs Chapter 10, Roi Perez is a current poster boy of Panoramabar and Siren run very sick, pro-femme underground raves in London.

You're basically getting the cutting edge of queer techno in the open air, which is a bold and great move imho.

IICON – big league experimental electronics under a ridiculous conceptual structure I will keep quiet about for now. Basically a monument to the "continuum" of jungle, dubstep, soundscapes, rave etc.

Batu and the Zenker Brothers are behind the sickest labels going (Timedance and Ilian Tape respectively), absolutely phenomenal DJs blending all aspects of broken techno, garage, dubstep, breakbeat, whatever. Bruce, Hodge and Stenny are reps from both camps and will play similar but this is best go-to: https://soundcloud.com/dkmntl/batu-at-dekmantel-selectors-2018

Moor Mother is like an Afrofuturist Kate Tempest. This lecture is fascinating stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPWi2wJELh4

L-Vis 1990, Kode9, Manthe Ribane, Demdike Stare, Lee Gamble will all fall into sounds of the UK underground that used to fill the actual London Underground. Same too Hessle Audio is Ben UFO, Pearson Sound and Pangaea.

NYC Downlow & Meat Rack queer mania

Legend O'Clock: Mr Fingers will be the deeper version of Larry Heard, I expect. Add him to Tony Humphries (Club Zanzibar in New Jersey, think Ron Trent level thick, disco-y house and you're there) and Erick Morillo (tribal king of NYC and Ibiza) and you've got a mega trio.

The Black Madonna b2b Garrett David, who's a resident at Queen! in Chicago's Smartbar, will be amazing. Same too Midland and Gideön, they know the territory.

Sweely is one for the minimal lovers, quite like Traumer or Margaret Dygas. Interesting pick for there. Mexican Jihad also interesting, part of the NAAFI label, eclectic bass stuff.

Wes Baggaley, Dan Shake, Trouble Vision et al carry this on, but even more sordid, in the Meat Rack. Dan was very good fun last time, played a lot of Brazilian edits which had sweat dripping.

Hope that helps

Cheers mate, thank you for the run down.

Was hoping to see the JFB on one of these line ups. Still never seen any dj at Glastonbury come anywhere close to how talented he is.

If your looking for an act to see on this line up then go see Larry heard on the icon stage. He's a proper legend.as some one already mentioned he also his by the name of Mr fingers but this will be a different set. Saw him at dimensions fest the other year and was epic

8 minutes ago, Adam75 said:

Risk of loads of people just there for the spectacle. 

I agree with this. An up-for-it crowd is more important than the act performing for me, I hope the area and the concept gets the atmosphere it deserves. I agree with the statement above and although I'm also glad that there's an absence of big room electronica I can't help but feel very slightly underwhelmed. That said, I'm always up for expanding my techno education and this week I'll be smashing through all those names.

Hoping that Gesaffelstein turns up in the remaining drop later this week but hopes are fading. No complaints though, there's already more than I can possibly get in. 

26 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

HAAi is the new superstar of the Daniel Avery / Andrew Weatherall / Erol Alkan world. Trippy, rock-informed techno. She will level the place. Same too Anthony Parasole and Randomer. Massive warehouse bangers with a hint of trance uplift. Here's a good starter on HAAi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btFDS6bdb8w

Honcho is the best gay party in America, Leeon is a resident of Bogota's Video Club, Partok is the biggest name to come from Tel Aviv's The Block, Dan Beaumont runs Chapter 10, Roi Perez is a current poster boy of Panoramabar and Siren are a young collective running great pro-femme underground raves in London.

You're basically getting the cutting edge of queer techno in the open air, in spaces which used to be for the veterans of Detroit and Chicago, which is a bold and great move imho.

IICON – big league experimental electronics under a ridiculous conceptual structure best seen to be believed

Batu and the Zenker Brothers are behind two of the hottest labels going (Timedance and Ilian Tape respectively), absolutely phenomenal DJs blending all aspects of broken techno, garage, dubstep, breakbeat, whatever. Bruce, Hodge and Stenny will play similarly but this, from Batu, is best go-to: https://soundcloud.com/dkmntl/batu-at-dekmantel-selectors-2018

Moor Mother is like an Afrofuturist Kate Tempest. This lecture is fascinating stuff and her performances are pretty astounding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPWi2wJELh4

L-Vis 1990, Kode9, Manthe Ribane, Demdike Stare, Lee Gamble will all fall into sounds of the UK underground that used to fill the actual London Underground, envoys of Hyperdub, DDS and Night Slugs. Don't miss the small-font Hessle Audio, which is Ben UFO, Pearson Sound and Pangaea.

Musically, the stage is largely a monument to the "continuum" of jungle, dubstep, soundscapes, rave etc.

Legend O'Clock: Mr Fingers will be the deeper version of Larry Heard, I expect. Add him to Tony Humphries (Club Zanzibar in New Jersey, think Ron Trent level thick, disco-y house and you're there) and Erick Morillo (tribal king of NYC and Ibiza) and you've got a mega trio.

The Black Madonna people probably know, this time b2b with Garrett David, who's a resident at Queen! in Chicago's Smartbar and releases on Lobster Theremin too. They will be great fun. Same too Midland and Gideön, they know the territory intimately.

Sweely is one for the minimal lovers, quite like Traumer or Margaret Dygas. Interesting pick for there. Mexican Jihad also interesting, part of the NAAFI label, eclectic bass stuff.

Wes Baggaley, Dan Shake, Trouble Vision et al carry this on in the Meat Rack, which is even more sordid. Dan was very good fun last time, played a lot of Brazilian edits which had sweat dripping.

Hope that helps

Thank you so much for this, it was a really interesting read and breakdown of the line ups. I'm not sure how much more informed i am because i didn't recognise any of your references either, but i do like the idea of "broken techno, garage, dubstep, breakbeat" so i will check that out and and i defy anyone not to be intrigued by the description of an "Afrofuturist Kate Tempest".

I will give a listen to the HAAi link too although i worry that "Massive warehouse bangers with a hint of trance uplift" won't give me enough of the uplifting trance to suit my style. 

Peace

"IICON showcases a vision of future music from the cutting edge of today’s underground, from Glitch-Funk Algorave and Post-Dubstep IDM, to Footwork, Grime, Electro and Cyber-Dub".

I'm past the stage where I recognise less than half the acts, now I recognise less than half the genres.

Any trancey soulful or disco-house recommendations? (Please and thank you)

Flashback 10 years, Josh Wink headlining one of the tents, East or West I don't recall, in the Dance Village.  A small crowd, let down by the soundsystem being turned right down because "Bruce has all the decibels".  He turned his monitors around to face the audience and it made a difference.

Fuck you, Bruce.  Here's to Mr Wink making amends.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Just noticed this in the NYC Downlow area blurb:

"Expect secret superstar performances, a new moustache entry system (the old hustles won’t work)...."

What was the hustle before????

Buying a tash? Or in my friend's case flashing his penis for entry.

16 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

Thank you so much for this, it was a really interesting read and breakdown of the line ups. I'm not sure how much more informed i am because i didn't recognise any of your references either, but i do like the idea of "broken techno, garage, dubstep, breakbeat" so i will check that out and and i defy anyone not to be intrigued by the description of an "Afrofuturist Kate Tempest".

I will give a listen to the HAAi link too although i worry that "Massive warehouse bangers with a hint of trance uplift" won't give me enough of the uplifting trance to suit my style. 

Peace

Check out The Glade Lounge line up when the full line up drops. I’m fingers crossed for a full on trance night (well, until 0300h anyway!!) on the Thursday night. If they programme the trance acts they have kindly for me it could be an amazing lead into the Fri-Sun proper. 

Ben

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

HAAi is the new superstar of the Daniel Avery / Andrew Weatherall / Erol Alkan world. Trippy, rock-informed techno. She will level the place. Same too Anthony Parasole and Randomer. Massive warehouse bangers with a hint of trance uplift. Here's a good starter on HAAi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btFDS6bdb8w

Honcho is the best gay party in America, Leeon is a resident of Bogota's Video Club, Partok is the biggest name to come from Tel Aviv's The Block, Dan Beaumont runs Chapter 10, Roi Perez is a current poster boy of Panoramabar and Siren are a young collective running great pro-femme underground raves in London.

You're basically getting the cutting edge of queer techno in the open air, in spaces which used to be for the veterans of Detroit and Chicago, which is a bold and great move imho.

IICON – big league experimental electronics under a ridiculous conceptual structure best seen to be believed

Batu and the Zenker Brothers are behind two of the hottest labels going (Timedance and Ilian Tape respectively), absolutely phenomenal DJs blending all aspects of broken techno, garage, dubstep, breakbeat, whatever. Bruce, Hodge and Stenny will play similarly but this, from Batu, is best go-to: https://soundcloud.com/dkmntl/batu-at-dekmantel-selectors-2018

Moor Mother is like an Afrofuturist Kate Tempest. This lecture is fascinating stuff and her performances are pretty astounding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPWi2wJELh4

L-Vis 1990, Kode9, Manthe Ribane, Demdike Stare, Lee Gamble will all fall into sounds of the UK underground that used to fill the actual London Underground, envoys of Hyperdub, DDS and Night Slugs. Don't miss the small-font Hessle Audio, which is Ben UFO, Pearson Sound and Pangaea.

Musically, the stage is largely a monument to the "continuum" of jungle, dubstep, soundscapes, rave etc.

The Black Madonna people probably know, this time b2b with Garrett David, who's a resident at Queen! in Chicago's Smartbar and releases on Lobster Theremin too. They will be great fun. Same too Midland and Gideön, they know the territory intimately.

Wes Baggaley, Dan Shake, Trouble Vision et al carry this on in the Meat Rack, which is even more sordid. Dan was very good fun last time, played a lot of Brazilian edits which had sweat dripping.

Hope that helps

Great knowledge. Let's ave it!

12 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Flashback 10 years, Josh Wink headlining one of the tents, East or West I don't recall, in the Dance Village.  A small crowd, let down by the soundsystem being turned right down because "Bruce has all the decibels".  He turned his monitors around to face the audience and it made a difference.

Fuck you, Bruce.  Here's to Mr Wink making amends.

Out of upvotes, @fatyeti24

So, ❤️

Ben

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Sorry about some of the more elliptical sentences or odd references, knocked out the recommendation post at velocity. Happy to expand further if anyone is intrigued but baffled by chunks of it.

It might not be full of megastars but that to me is a really sharp line-up, packed with variety and all around a strong keyhole into the white-hot fringes of underground electronic music.

The shorthand is: we're in good hands.

Yup. Fully agreed. They could fill this with the tech house and big room techno DJs but where's the originality in that

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Sorry about some of the more elliptical sentences or odd references, knocked out the recommendation post at velocity. Happy to expand further if anyone is intrigued but baffled by chunks of it.

It might not be full of megastars but that to me is a really sharp line-up, packed with variety and all around a strong keyhole into the white-hot fringes of underground electronic music.

The shorthand is: we're in good hands.

For a non-dance music / techno whizz who recognises possibly one or two names on this list people like yourself and @bennyhana22 are heroes when it comes to this stuff. All hugely appreciated x

20 minutes ago, Brownie30 said:

For a non-dance music / techno whizz who recognises possibly one or two names on this list people like yourself and @bennyhana22 are heroes when it comes to this stuff. All hugely appreciated x

Absolutely, this and the electronica thread have given me some great pointers and @Ddiamondd I hope my post didn’t come across as ungrateful, if anything it was meant the other way. You Going out of the way to help the underground dance music illiterate navigate the line up is hugely useful.  I love the enthusiasm you all have for the scene and I am confident with a bit of planning or a bit of an unplanned wander I will find something to get my body jacking or my hands in the air each night. Let’s av it.