Teacher coming to Glasto.....advice please!

Nicki789pink

Hi all,

I’m BEYOND excited to be attending Glasto this year. It’s literally been my dream for years,  but having the job I do means I can’t arrive until Friday afternoon. We’ve booked tangerine fields so we don’t need to worry about pitching a tent but we wondered how bad the traffic might be around 3-4pm? 

TIA

8 minutes ago, Nicki789pink said:

Hi all,

I’m BEYOND excited to be attending Glasto this year. It’s literally been my dream for years,  but having the job I do means I can’t arrive until Friday afternoon. We’ve booked tangerine fields so we don’t need to worry about pitching a tent but we wondered how bad the traffic might be around 3-4pm? 

TIA

Arriving at that time I would expect that you will literally drive straight in. Hope you manage to bunk off a bit earlier so you get longer at the festival. Have a wonderful time! :)

8 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Arriving at that time I would expect that you will literally drive straight in. Hope you manage to bunk off a bit earlier so you get longer at the festival. Have a wonderful time! :)

Excellent news! We’ve got tangerine fields car park passes too. 

Fingers crossed I can run out a bit earlier!! 

Can you not just blag it? 

Two years ago I straight up went into my bosses office and said "Can i please leave two days early to go to Glastonbury?" He was fine with it. 

Now admittedly, this was an international school at the end of term. 

Are you back in work on the Monday? If so, fuck that. 

I stood next to a rather clean looking, fresh faced, rather excited woman for Roisin Murphy who was secondary teacher in W-S-M. Just arrived but having done it many times before, didn’t seem to bothered about it already being Friday.

Par for the course I guess!

Enjoy the festival. 

We always arrive friday midday and haven't ever felt we have missed out on anything as still so much time to explore. You will be absolutely fine getting in around that time with little to no traffic! Have a wonderful festival :) 

• Upvote 1

On 5/27/2019 at 9:42 AM, ghostdancer1 said:

Ring in sick.

You're missing over 40% of the festival by arriving on Friday.

My friend is a teacher and had to do this... Finding places that were quiet enough to not arouse suspicion every morning for her to call in was quite a challenge. How she never got fired I will never know!

Feel your pain getting there late though, coach tix mean we can't get there til mid-afternoon and I've already got major FOMO for the Weds. At least we get to go though! 

If you ring in sick, can you deal with the consequences if you're caught?  There's so many TV cameras, can you guarantee that you won't be standing behand the goon with the silly hat that the camera pans into?  Or by the photo that makes it onto the front cover of the Daily Fail?   

8 minutes ago, GoonerRob said:

Worst thing they can do is give you a warning... (I don't think it would count as gross misconduct). Call in sick :D

This.

Also, what's staffing like at your school? In some, staffing means sacking someone would be virtually impossible/incredibly foolish. 

I’m a teacher too and planning on coming on Saturday morning this year as can’t get out of a work event on the Friday night and I think that’s still a better option than not going at all! 

Does anyone know if the bus from Castle Cary still runs on sat morning? 

Also no, I can’t call in sick or take unpaid leave, before anyone thinks that’s a good suggestion! 

Thanks 

13 hours ago, Ihlon213 said:

I’m a teacher too and planning on coming on Saturday morning this year as can’t get out of a work event on the Friday night and I think that’s still a better option than not going at all! 

Does anyone know if the bus from Castle Cary still runs on sat morning? 

Also no, I can’t call in sick or take unpaid leave, before anyone thinks that’s a good suggestion! 

Thanks 

Bless you, that’s slightly rubbish that you can’t come until Saturday but you’re right, it’s better than not coming at all. 

I’m the same, can’t take any time off but my KS lead is letting me go a little bit early so I can beat the Somerset traffic! 

22 hours ago, blutarsky said:

This.

Also, what's staffing like at your school? In some, staffing means sacking someone would be virtually impossible/incredibly foolish. 

Technically it could be seen as gross misconduct and dependent on occupational sick pay could even be classed as fraud but its a risk a lot of people take.

Edited by polgara

On 5/27/2019 at 9:42 AM, ghostdancer1 said:

Ring in sick.

You're missing over 40% of the festival by arriving on Friday.

I know that's what most of the regs here think, but quite a few other people really don't consider the first couple of days the same as the other 3 when the line up kicks off in earnest.

I've had tons of years in the past where I did a 3 day stint and had a fantastic time, indeed if you were wary of the consequences of skiving then I'd suggest that sounds like a fab compromise.

My daughter is doing a nursing apprenticeship course and will likely not be able join us till Friday evening... there are plenty of folk out there who would take that rather than miss out on a ticket.

Drive safely (you will get there when you get there) and make the most of your time. I hope the BBC get a close-up of you having fun and your boss gets to appreciate your honesty even more.

4 hours ago, Nicki789pink said:

Not exactly the comment I was looking for but thanks for wasting your time replying ?

it was a joke...

I do feel for teachers as they take their job very seriously (most of them, ) and many will never get to go . or they get to go and miss half the festival

but I have arrived on  Friday night,  getting in was very easy . you have done well getting pre erected camping,. I had a friend take my tent and put it up. I didn't have the best year that year due to getting there and all my friends had already had a blast and it took me a  day to get to their level.

As an ex-teacher I would say it depends on your head.  Worked at one school that allowed me to bank my PPA (is it still called that ) time and use it for a day off.  Another were I was allowed to take it as unpaid leave.  But one were the head thought that anyone who went to Glastonbury was a drug crazed degenerate and would make it as difficult as possible. 

I'd say be honest but if you don't ask you don't get.  It is possible to have a great time arriving on Friday night, but any extra time is definitely a bonus.

With regards to getting in there will be negligible queues after Thursday.

• 2 weeks later...

I've obviously been too much of a keeno and missed the festival since 2011 because of being a teacher.

Moving to an international school is a (rather extreme) option for another year. I break up in mid June now so doing my first Glasto in almost a decade  The job's way better too. Win win.