Cambridge folk festival

Campervan1

I’m thinking of going to the Cambridge folk festival this year, have never been before. Will be travelling on my own to this one.

can anyone give me any info about the camping areas. I can see Cherry Hinton and Coldhams are both available and I’ve read up on each.

Being close to the festival site at Cherry Hinton appeals but not being able to get a shower Thursday- Sunday definitely doesn’t. 

I was thinking of Coldhams. Have read you can take a shuttle bus to the from the festival site. Do they run really regularly day and night.

ive also read you can park your car next to your tent at Coldhams, which would be fab. However I go to a lot of festivals so I have a trolley

to transport my stuff if needed.

so questions to people who’ve been where did you camp and how was it?

Are there definitely no showers at Cherry Hinton?

Are there other compelling reasons why camping at Cherry Hinton is much better (apart from being closer to the main site)

What are the shuttle buses try and from Coldhams like do they run regularly day and night and are there plenty of them

is it far to walk from Coldhams to the main festival site (doesn’t look far on the map)

Any tips much appreciated! I’m really looking forward to it -apart from all the photos of all the ruddy chairs I’ve seen at it!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

We went last year and stayed at Cherry Hinton - it was great.  Didn’t miss having showers even though the weather was really hot.  Just had a bit of a wash with a flannel and a bit of water in a basin every morning and washed hair - organic shampoo obviously - outside of the tent in water with we’d left to warm up in the sun.  

The walk from the car park to the site was maybe 10 minutes though we pitched our tents really quite close to the entrance.  Probably wouldn’t do that again as it would have been better to be a bit closer to the loos (though not too close obviously).  

There was quite a long queue to get in on the first day but we were in and the tent up in about an hour and a half - then we went to get our wristbands etc.  It is important to get the tag for your tent and make sure it’s visible to security; they do remove tents without them (assuming the same rules apply this year as last).    

The chairs are less of an issue than I had thought they might have been.  Yes, there are rows and rows and rows of them - god knows what time people get up to select their spot but the fields were full by the time we got there each day - luckily we didn’t have chairs with us, so really didn’t care.  There are no chairs allowed in the tents and that rule is strictly enforced so they didn’t spoil our enjoyment of any of the acts we went to see.  

Overall, we thought it was a really lovely festival.  Great selection of both drink and food and, mostly, really friendly people (some notable exceptions but maybe they stood out so much because they were in such a minority).  We would definitely have been there again this year if the line up had been more to our taste - there isn’t enough else to do there if the line-up doesn’t suit.

Hope you have a fabulous time.