Best campsite

joser1974

Hi everyone. 

This is my first year at Boomtown so i don’t really know much about the campsites and what would be best for me. I’m in my mid forties and will probably be spending most of my time around the town centre, psy forest and old town. I’d like to camp somewhere relatively quiet and not to busy. I won’t be arriving till around 2ish on the Thursday afternoon. Any suggestions? Thanks 

Hey ?

Check out the link posted by @Henrik, but keep in mind there is going to be some changes to the layout this year (but the campsites will mostly be in the same places).

You're likely to have a great time wherever you camp. Based on what you have said though, you would be wanting to camp in the "uptown" area (east) area of the festival, as that is closest to the areas you're interested in.

The campsites currently known as "Copper County" and "Old Town" are in the best location, but get extremely crowded and are quite hilly. If you want something a bit quieter in uptown, I'd head to the part of the "Sector 6" campsite near the "East Gate", which was very quiet last year. it's a bit further out than you might prefer, but still only about 10-15m walk to all the uptown stages.

"Paradise Heights" is also a great slightly quieter spot. About halfway between uptown and downtown, just on the opposite side of the woods north of the festival.

Check the map on the link above to understand where I'm talking about if confused!

Edited by Sku
  • Upvote 1

We camped in disorderly alley camping next to the prepitched area, quiet, flat, clean toilets and the  walk back has loads of food places on it for late night snacks. And the bonus that your tent won’t get trampled by the post closing party crowds. Absolutely worth it. 

15 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

We camped at Metropolis last year - I wont lie, I liked it there. it was a bit of a mooch, but if you are used to Glastonbury when you camp miles from most things - it wasn't too bad.

12 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

We camped in disorderly alley camping next to the prepitched area, quiet, flat, clean toilets and the  walk back has loads of food places on it for late night snacks. And the bonus that your tent won’t get trampled by the post closing party crowds. Absolutely worth it. 

Thanks both for sharing your experience. I have never camped over that way, so it will help me to update the guide for this year (which I can't do until we get a new map!)

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2019 at 11:51 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Sunday night got a bit mad. People throwing themselves down the hills in carts. All good natured though.

Haha! Well, if they will stop the music early, what do they expect people to do for fun...??

I was with Oxfam last time, so not really sure about this, but is the entrance by metropolis the main one? I'm cool with staying there if it means not lugging my stuff, and as Pylon regular, I'm not bothered about a mooch. I reckon there or Paradise Heights....

does anyone know whether you can change your zooloos and lockers location? I bought both in uptown, but undecided as to where to camp.

I'll be going alone and want to be in amongst everything to meet people and get to do as much as possible. I'm in my thirties and not keen on camping with a load of teenagers.

Will be splitting my night times between relic and sub lab in distrikt 5, barrio loco and loads i want to see in area 404 so was thinking old town. This will mean a long walk in the early hours back from downtown, but want to be  camping close to the centre so i get my arse out of bed to do stuff during the day.

Arriving on Wednesday - how fast does old town fill up? Any experiences of the reserved campsite that isn't mentioned in the source blog?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 1:57 PM, Sku said:

Hey ?

Check out the link posted by @Henrik

"Paradise Heights" is also a great slightly quieter spot. About halfway between uptown and downtown, just on the opposite side of the woods north of the festival

I've been wondering about Paradise Heights....it seemed like a relatively chilled area last year (we were with Oxfam and one of our shifts was stewarding that campsite), but is this likely to change if all the campsites are open from the wednesday....? Or is the location of it sufficiently out of the way for this not to make too much of a difference?

5 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I've been wondering about Paradise Heights....it seemed like a relatively chilled area last year (we were with Oxfam and one of our shifts was stewarding that campsite), but is this likely to change if all the campsites are open from the wednesday....? Or is the location of it sufficiently out of the way for this not to make too much of a difference?

The purple car park is not open until Thursday this year, so there should be very little traffic coming through the north gate. From any of the other gates, it's quite a trek to get there, so i think it will remain pretty chilled.

33 minutes ago, Sku said:

The purple car park is not open until Thursday this year, so there should be very little traffic coming through the north gate. From any of the other gates, it's quite a trek to get there, so i think it will remain pretty chilled.

Cool, thanks! Now I just  need to work out how much of a trek we're up for!

Are all campsites open from Wednesday this year then? Not arriving until Thursday again this year, did the same last year but managed to squeeze ourselves into old town camping but would ideally like to be there again or Lions Den which I feel is unlikley. Few more of us attending this year so will need more space which is the major problem! 

4 hours ago, Chill said:

Are all campsites open from Wednesday this year then? Not arriving until Thursday again this year, did the same last year but managed to squeeze ourselves into old town camping but would ideally like to be there again or Lions Den which I feel is unlikley. Few more of us attending this year so will need more space which is the major problem! 

Yep, this year the whole site is open from Wednesday. Last year was a trial, so it was a limited area only.

There are 20,000 Wednesday tickets on sale this year too, considerably more than last time, so the whole festival is now open early.

There is always plenty of space to camp at Boomtown, as the site is so large compared to the capacity. You might just have to be a little further out that you would prefer if all the prime spots are gone.

1 hour ago, payneruk said:

I think we've decided on camping at Paradise Heights. But we have some friends in the campervan field which seems miles away. Can normal campers even get in to the campervan field?

Yes, there are no checks or security or anything for the camper vans.