How much can I take on the coach, realistically?

Lakey91

Is there some sort of limit?

It's my first time taking the coach so I am obviously going to reduce what I take massively, however I still reckon I will have a fair few bits. I am going on holiday a couple of weeks after Glasto, so trying to keep Glasto a fairly cheap one. I have an 85L rucksack, which I plan on basically filling with beer, spirits, and the odd tin of food.

Clothes I will have in a large sports holdall and a second small rucksack on my front. Then I've got a fairly large family size tent and my camping chair, sleeping bad, and roll mat.

I've got no issues with having to carry it all from the coach to the campsite, even if I have to stop for the odd break or two but will the coach driver refuse to take some of your stuff if they think you have too much?

16 minutes ago, Lakey91 said:

It's my first time taking the coach so I am obviously going to reduce what I take massively, however I still reckon I will have a fair few bits. I am going on holiday a couple of weeks after Glasto, so trying to keep Glasto a fairly cheap one. I have an 85L rucksack, which I plan on basically filling with beer, spirits, and the odd tin of food.

Clothes I will have in a large sports holdall and a second small rucksack on my front. Then I've got a fairly large family size tent and my camping chair, sleeping bad, and roll mat.

I've got no issues with having to carry it all from the coach to the campsite, even if I have to stop for the odd break or two but will the coach driver refuse to take some of your stuff if they think you have too much?

Hmm to me, that sounds like a lot - particularly a big rucksack AND a large holdall.

I normally take an 85 L rucksack (with roll matt and sleeping bag attached) for the hold and then one normal sized back pack for on the coach with me, as well as my tent. In both backpacks I have clothes, but drink only in the bag for the hold incase they split (this happened to my friend last year). I then usually also take one of those real fancy tesco/sainsburys bag for life things with wellies and 2-3 band of wild wood cider, which I think I also put in the coach with me, although now I'm not sure.

I would say ditch the second holdall! Not even sure if they let you put two massive bags in the hold

It's See coaches I'm going with. Might have to come up with a better solution for the beer then! I do know a fair few people going by car, maybe I can convince some of them to take an extra couple of crates down for me and I'll retrieve them from the carpark.

I think I'll have to do a "dress rehersal" over the bank holiday to see how much stuff I can squeeze into my large rucksack!

1 minute ago, Lakey91 said:

It's See coaches I'm going with. Might have to come up with a better solution for the beer then! I do know a fair few people going by car, maybe I can convince some of them to take an extra couple of crates down for me and I'll retrieve them from the carpark.

This is exactly what I'm doing!

My housemate is bringing down 20Ls of Old Rosie with him, and I'm getting my other friend to bring the Wyld Wood this year and prob a bit of food. Utilise these people for all they are worth :)

Edited by Sasperella

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

My housemate is bringing down 20Ls of Old Rosie with him, and I'm getting my other friend to bring the Wyld Wood this year and prob a bit of food. Utilise these people for all they are worth :)

20L?? Isn't that like the size of the boxes they have in pubs? Where can I get myself one of these?? My housemates and I love an Old Rosie or two... can soon get messy though!

10 minutes ago, Lakey91 said:

20L?? Isn't that like the size of the boxes they have in pubs? Where can I get myself one of these?? My housemates and I love an Old Rosie or two... can soon get messy though!

Yep, it's flippin' massive

https://www.westons-cider.co.uk/ciders/#old-rosie

My advice would be to make sure you're parked at least somewhat close to where you camp! 

Edited by Sasperella
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yep, it's flippin' massive

https://www.westons-cider.co.uk/ciders/#old-rosie

My advice would be to make sure your parked at least somewhat close to where you camp! 

Thanks! And my mates always park in orange and camp pennards so it will be a bit of a treck.

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I reckon 'as much as you can carry'. I usually take: large rucksack, tent, chair, one bag for carrying. Not had a problem.

Sweet that's more or less what I'll have I think.

13 minutes ago, Lakey91 said:

I think I'll have to do a "dress rehersal" over the bank holiday to see how much stuff I can squeeze into my large rucksack!

I've done the coach for years and only take a small amount of alcohol with me. I much prefer a visit to Morrisons in town on the bus for a stock up on supplies, a lovely clean toilet and reasonably priced breakfast. Couple of hours of a mission which i usually do on Saturday morning around 9am. 

Unless you have a trolley the bus driver isn’t going to stop you! It’s such a free for all that he won’t even know who’s bag is who and if he did question you just say it’s your girlfriends who has already got on the bus!

I’ve gotten on a National Express coach with a big rucksack, tent, separate backpack (brought on to coach with me) and then a trolley stacked with crates (mine + a couple of others in our group). Driver wasn’t happy but he let me on eventually. It really does just come down to the driver/people working the coaches at the time. Some will be (somewhat understandably) really arsey over it all due to space constraints. Others won’t give a shit and will just cram everything in. 

1 hour ago, Lakey91 said:

Mate, you’ll die with all that. Carrying any heavy-ish bag by hand, other than your tent (try to avoid that too), will be torture. Trust me, I did it once. Crying and half dead by the time I got to the campsite.

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Hmm to me, that sounds like a lot - particularly a big rucksack AND a large holdall.

I normally take an 85 L rucksack (with roll matt and sleeping bag attached) for the hold and then one normal sized back pack for on the coach with me, as well as my tent. In both backpacks I have clothes, but drink only in the bag for the hold incase they split (this happened to my friend last year). I then usually also take one of those real fancy tesco/sainsburys bag for life things with wellies and 2-3 band of wild wood cider, which I think I also put in the coach with me, although now I'm not sure.

I would say ditch the second holdall! Not even sure if they let you put two massive bags in the hold

This is the best advice IMHO X

3 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

Mate, you’ll die with all that. Carrying any heavy-ish bag by hand, other than your tent (try to avoid that too), will be torture. Trust me, I did it once. Crying and half dead by the time I got to the campsite. 

I'm thinking just add a load of trap bar deadlifts and walking lunges into my gym routine to prep myself! ??

With a coach, it’s a bit of luck, if everyone takes the p**s and shows up with a trolley load of booze, it’s obviously not going to fit. Don’t bring anything additionally you’re not sure prepared to abandon 

They normally allow everyone to load their luggage limit in the hold, which is like a tent per person and one large bag. Then if there’s room at the end it’s a free for all to cram on everything else.

Also bit of luck needed with drivers, some drivers don’t allow any alcohol in the actual bus so it all needs to go in the hold. The last thing you wanna do it buy a trolley and 5 crates only to leave it at the side of the road/ desperately try and down 50 warm cans. 

Just now, Lakey91 said:

I'm thinking just add a load of trap bar deadlifts and walking lunges into my gym routine to prep myself! ??

Definitely do that anyway ?? A friend I brought for her first Glasto in 2010, was, erm....surprised....at the yomp involved.