Recommend me some hidden gems

stuartbert two hats

I don't know whether it's my age, the fallow year making me out of touch, or whether we genuinely have a weak line-up this year, but I'm struggling to find many new acts to go and see this year.  I've got Jon Hopkins, Chemical Brothers and Kate Tempest on my list, all of which I've seen in some form at Glastonbury already.  IDLES and The Coming Is Coming are the only new (to me) acts that have really caught my interest this year.

Can you help me uncover some new music in the line up announced so far?  Someone I might not have heard of or considered before?  Have you discovered anyone in the run up to this year's festival?

I'm the same mate. Not got any must sees but thanks to the good folks on here a long list of interesting bands. A few of the new ones to me are: The Burning Hell, Land of the Giants, Acid Mothers Temple, Fantastic Negrito, The Cat Empire, Clara Rose, Tensheds, Lucas Nelson and Keb Mo.

Cant wait. Its gonna be great.

I'm guessing you've been a fair few times... it happens as the lineup has some degree of repeats over a period of time, partic high up the buill.. I find that most things I want to see I say 'saw that in 2XXX year' - for instance, Cat Power on the Park, Killers Pyramid. And some degree of 'taste freeze'.

Henge. Saw them at Beautiful Days last year, just completely hatstand. Really entertaining and engaging. Wood Burning Savages, I saw them at The Great Escape and was very impressed having never heard of them before, good bouncy Northern Irish punk. Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard on the BBC Introducing Stage another Great Escape hit for me, bizarrely some youngsters reliving the glory glam rock boogie of the 1970's and they nail it. Catherine McGrath on the acoustic stage for some early-Taylor style country. Venom Prison if you want your head caved in brutality on the Truth Stage. Dream Wife on Left Field hopefully not a hidden gem for much longer, simply brilliant live.

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't know whether it's my age, the fallow year making me out of touch, or whether we genuinely have a weak line-up this year, but I'm struggling to find many new acts to go and see this year.  I've got Jon Hopkins, Chemical Brothers and Kate Tempest on my list, all of which I've seen in some form at Glastonbury already.  IDLES and The Coming Is Coming are the only new (to me) acts that have really caught my interest this year.

Can you help me uncover some new music in the line up announced so far?  Someone I might not have heard of or considered before?  Have you discovered anyone in the run up to this year's festival?

Elvana

Playing in shangri La somewhere, I am hoping for a random 3 am gig, do you like Elvis? Do you like Nirvana? mash them together and thsi is Elvana. Front man dressed in his Rhine stone jump suit legging it around the stage. he starts off with an Elvis Song and then breaks in to a crowd pumping Nirvana hit. a sing along with a twist and a mosh pit.

11 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

Elvana

Playing in shangri La somewhere, I am hoping for a random 3 am gig, do you like Elvis? Do you like Nirvana? mash them together and thsi is Elvana. Front man dressed in his Rhine stone jump suit legging it around the stage. he starts off with an Elvis Song and then breaks in to a crowd pumping Nirvana hit. a sing along with a twist and a mosh pit.

+1 for this. I'd never heard of them until the announcement this year but this should be so much fun. Its got to be a late night thing deep in shangri la. 

Ive found that hanging out at one of the bars on site can end up turning into a proper party at any time of the day. Having a wander is great but stopping for a few beers somewhere is well worth it. Last year a bar in the circus field turned into utter chaos during a 80's dj set on friday afternoon. Its always when you least expect it.

Edited by lobo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lobo said:

+1 for this. I'd never heard of them until the announcement this year but this should be so much fun. Its got to be a late night thing deep in shangri la. 

Ive found that hanging out at one of the bars on site can end up turning into a proper party at any time of the day. Having a wander is great but stopping for a few beers somewhere is well worth it. Last year a bar in the circus field turned into utter chaos during a 80's dj set on friday afternoon. Its always when you least expect it.

saw them last year in Manchester, so much fin to be had, loads of energy .

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Anything with more electronic elements? 

I've discovered La Payara on the Silver Hayes lineup. Some sort of Colombian electronica/folk fusion. I like it anyway....check out the Bogota track ?

Edited by Sasperella
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Have you discovered anyone in the run up to this year's festival?

Quite a few that have won me over since the initial poster drop. Sigrid, Billie Eilish, Denzel Curry, Fat White Family, Jade Bird and Self Esteem. Still some that I need to get round to. 

6 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

While I obvs agree these guys are always a good shout, I think @stuartbert two hats was looking for acts he hasn't seen at Glastonbury before. Surely he would have caught one of SWs 49 performances, or whatever it is ?

I think you will find it is 49 .5 performances ? i just bloody love the, it';s not a festival until i have seen them play