Recommend me some hidden gems

stuartbert two hats

Sam Fender

Lizzo

Billie Eilish

Shura

Sigrid

Neneh Cherry

All acts I've got into since listening to the line up, although I appreciate a lot of them are probably not considered 'hidden gems'.

Kamasi Washington is a must if you haven't seen him. I've seen him and his brilliant band twice, and he is definitely up there with one of my most anticipated acts of the weekend.

The Flavians (Avalon Cafe) were really good during the auditions recently. Came from Berlin to Pilton for it and were worth the trip.

Che Lingo (emerging talent contest) was also very good, getting a sing back in the Pilton WMC takes some doing, genuinely engaging and talented - not sure where he is playing but will be low down somewhere because that is the type of slot they get.

I saw the Fat White Family in Bristol a couple of weeks ago - they were stupidly good, really nailed it and would be worth a look.  You may walk away feeling a bit soiled though.

Flamingods are a bit patchy, seen them as a trippy brillant experience, seen them as dull and disinterested. bit pot luck really.

the Cuban Brothers obviously, and Elvana because you should

Dream Wife in Leftfield

John Fairhurst.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't know whether it's my age, the fallow year making me out of touch, or whether we genuinely have a weak line-up this year, but I'm struggling to find many new acts to go and see this year.  I've got Jon Hopkins, Chemical Brothers and Kate Tempest on my list, all of which I've seen in some form at Glastonbury already.  IDLES and The Coming Is Coming are the only new (to me) acts that have really caught my interest this year.

Can you help me uncover some new music in the line up announced so far?  Someone I might not have heard of or considered before?  Have you discovered anyone in the run up to this year's festival?

If you like Jon Hopkins and Chem Bros you’ll have a good time going raving surely. Top picks of DJ’s so far I know playing are

Avalon Emerson, Dr. Rubinstein, Pearson Sound b2b Call Super, S.A.S.S (Moxie, Shanti Celeste, Peach, Saoirsy), Craig Richards b2b Ben UFO.

i can link you to some sets later on if you’d like. Avalon’s essential mix, Rubo Dekmantel podcast, Peach boiler room, Moxie AVA, Craig Richards UFO Love International. 

Just now, Tommy Dickfingers said:

If you like Jon Hopkins and Chem Bros you’ll have a good time going raving surely. Top picks of DJ’s so far I know playing are

Avalon Emerson, Dr. Rubinstein, Pearson Sound b2b Call Super, S.A.S.S (Moxie, Shanti Celeste, Peach, Saoirsy), Craig Richards b2b Ben UFO.

i can link you to some sets later on if you’d like. Avalon’s essential mix, Rubo Dekmantel podcast, Peach boiler room, Moxie AVA, Craig Richards UFO Love International. 

Both of those acts have a richer soundscape than your average techno DJ.  I know I'll enjoy the DJs (and thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out), but I'm looking to get to know some songs in advance of seeing them perform the music live at the festival.  Chems and Hopkins are two rare electronica acts that really do insert performance into their sets, to the extent that the songs will actually sound different at every performance.

54 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I cant wait to see Fontaines DC for the first time. Seems they will be on several stages.

Worth turning up a bit early to catch Queen Zee if you're going to watch them at Left Field Sunday.?

• Upvote 1

I think I read somewhere that Janet Jackson is playing?

Seriously though, this is a great thread as I’m in the same boat as you.

A few that have popped out for me though - Hernan Cattaneo, Maribou State, Heidi, and Four Tet.

Hot Chip appear on the Common poster so maybe there’ll be a DJ set from them there too?

Also, I absolutely can’t wait for Jon Hopkins!

1 minute ago, LostHorizon said:

I think I read somewhere that Janet Jackson is playing?

Seriously though, this is a great thread as I’m in the same boat as you.

A few that have popped out for me though - Hernan Cattaneo, Maribou State, Heidi, and Four Tet.

Hot Chip appear on the Common poster so maybe there’ll be a DJ set from them there too?

Also, I absolutely can’t wait for Jon Hopkins!

Hernan Cattaneo b2b with Nick warren is a must see for me 

Please try get to see Smoove and Turrell on the Hell Stage on Friday.

They are a fantastic funk and soul band from the North East and put on a great show! The singer has the most incredible voice and the keyboardist (Mike Porter!) loves a brightly coloured coat and jumping on his keyboard! I promise you wont be disappointed!!