Can a campervan tow in a caravan? One or two passes?

charlottebyrne12345

It depends on the weight of the motorhome and caravan and when you passed your driving test. 

If the motor home is less than 3.5tonnes and the caravan is less than 750kg then a normal licence is good enough.

if the motor home is between 3.5 and 7.5t, caravan less than 750kg, then you are okay if you passed prior to 1997, if after that you need to pass a C1 driving test.

if the motor home is between 3.5 and 7.5t, caravan greater than 750kg, then you need a C1 + E licence if after 1997, if before 97 then the maximum combined weight is 8250kg

Motor homes are very rarely larger than 7.5t, but if is then a whole different rules apply.

I cannot help regarding passes.

Edited by GMF
Corrected C1+E information

Who can say.  This is in 2017, at 0832, on the way into East.

Glastonbury%202017%20-%200832%20-%20Entr

You can see how busy it is.  If it's peak time, unless you are being an obstruction, or coming in something obvisouly too large (like a bus), I think you'll be fine.

If it was me?  I'd chance it.  Easy to say mind, as I live about 5 miles away in Glastonbury proper!

16 minutes ago, GMF said:

It depends on the weight of the motorhome and caravan and when you passed your driving test. 

If the motor home is less than 3.5tonnes and the caravan is less than 750kg then a normal licence is good enough.

if the motor home is between 3.5 and 7.5t, caravan less than 750kg, then you are okay if you passed prior to 1997, if after that you need to pass a C1 driving test.

if the motor home is between 3.5 and 7.5t, caravan greater than 750kg, then you need a C1 + E licence if after 1997, if before 97 then the maximum combined weight is 8250kg

Motor homes are very rarely larger than 7.5t, but if is then a whole different rules apply.

I cannot help regarding passes.

^^^^^This^^^^^

If you've got a something like a VW transporter camper and a small and simple 2, maybe 4, birth caravan your sound legally speaking without a towing licence.

And personally, pure opinion, if you were towing with a van like a converted transporter then its no different to towing with your work van, its not really there business what you tow with as long as its safe and legal.

Towing with a full blown coach built motorhome might be taking the piss though.

Interesting question about passes. I can see the argument that hypothetically it should be no different than towing with, say, a panel van.

But... I can imagine the possibility of a random supervisor taking a different view. Trying to sneak two in for the price of one... they could take that view regardless.

So my suggestion:

Email the festival with your question. If you get an approval, print it out to show if you get challenged. If you get a negative/no reply... carry on regardless, but make your plans with a contingency if you get bounced.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bennyboi said:

^^^^^This^^^^^

If you've got a something like a VW transporter camper and a small and simple 2, maybe 4, birth caravan your sound legally speaking without a towing licence.

And personally, pure opinion, if you were towing with a van like a converted transporter then its no different to towing with your work van, its not really there business what you tow with as long as its safe and legal.

Towing with a full blown coach built motorhome might be taking the piss though.

The question wasn’t about driving licenses it’s asking do you need 2 camper van passes.

I know a group of 4 who use a Mercedes Vito camper to tow a 4 berth caravan in (one couple in each). They get 1 cv ticket. In 2015 they used an even bigger Merc (sprinter maybe?) to do the towing and were fine.

edit: but whether lucky or stupid I don’t know 

Edited by caballosblancos

Group in front of me in 2017 had van (home conversion so stealthy) with roof tent and caravan. Three couples in for the price of one pitch. Still don't now Glastonburys official stance but seems some are getting away with it. At least until Emily reads this. ?

I don’t know because Ive never done campervan, but isn’t there a certain pitch size per pass.  I know people pitch tents next to their van and that’s ok as long as you don’t take up more than your allotted pitch.  I’d have though a campervan towing a caravan would only need one as long as it only takes up one space.  Guessing mind I’d email the festival to find out