Glasto - need to find bands I will enjoy - help!

michaelsft

Hi all, first post on this forum and looking for some advice if anyone is able to offer any. Below is a list of bands I plan on watching at Glastonbury and I wondered if anyone could recommend any more that I might like. I’ll be completely honest, only a few bands in the list are ones that I’m genuinely excited to see* and the rest are more… ‘I know they’re good so I’ll watch them but I don’t really care if I miss them either’. I really like poppy punky guitar music, usually with a female vocalist like The Beths, Doe, Fresh, Alvvays etc and that aside my favourite bands have been The Strokes, The National, Rilo Kiley, Placebo, Ash, The Joy Formidable, The Get Up Kids, Radiohead, SFA, Tegan and Sara, Bloc Party - I suppose they are pretty safe and well known bands but hey, it’s what I like.

I’ve only been to Glasto once before in 2007 and it was a total and complete wash out but I still saw plenty of bands that I liked. I’ve tried for tickets since and failed every time except this year and being honest, the poster line ups have been pretty disappointing. I don’t really care for any headliners and while I like a few on the undercard, my general reaction to all the other poster line ups has been ‘who?’ - I’m not totally ignorant to music but I just don’t know anyone - seems like just lists and lists of DJ’s on most posters. I’d love to be able to go with more bands in mind that I would be really excited to watch - I guess I’m a little out of touch for cool new bands so perhaps people can help me out :)

Bands/Artists I will watch:
Kylie* / Sharon Van Etten* / Tame Impala* / Vampire Weekend* / Sigrid* / The Cure*
Bands/Artists I will probably watch:
Hot Chip / Chemical Brothers / The Good, The Bad & The Queen / Ms Lauren Hill / Idles / Wu-Tang Clan / The Killers / Liam Gallagher / Johnny Marr / Interpol / Friendly Fires / Two Door Cinema Club / Bastille / Miley Cyrus / Snow Patrol / Sheryl Crow / Santigold / The Streets

Well... I got through it all andI found a few new bands to check out in more detail but boy do I need to investigate what else I can do for five days to have fun. I bet the line up is amazing for a lot of people but it's left me a little lost. I've seen Placebo are a strong rumour but unconfirmed so here's hoping on that front.

Anyway thanks for the link :)

1 hour ago, michaelsft said:

Well... I got through it all andI found a few new bands to check out in more detail but boy do I need to investigate what else I can do for five days to have fun. I bet the line up is amazing for a lot of people but it's left me a little lost. I've seen Placebo are a strong rumour but unconfirmed so here's hoping on that front.

by all means investigate .... but the most fun is had by coming across random unplanned things whilst bimbling around .... so make sure you do a good mix of this too interspersed with some must sees 

Just walking past the Crows Nest we happened on Steve Davies (yes the snooker player!) do a house funk DJ set in 2017. Was fantastic.

Same happened with Carny Villains in Shangri-La. Was so much fun. Never heard of them before but loved the set.

There is so much random fun going on you will find.

Plus happy friendly strangers to share moments with!

Edited by March Hare

5 hours ago, michaelsft said:

Hi all, first post on this forum and looking for some advice if anyone is able to offer any. Below is a list of bands I plan on watching at Glastonbury and I wondered if anyone could recommend any more that I might like. I’ll be completely honest, only a few bands in the list are ones that I’m genuinely excited to see* and the rest are more… ‘I know they’re good so I’ll watch them but I don’t really care if I miss them either’. I really like poppy punky guitar music, usually with a female vocalist like The Beths, Doe, Fresh, Alvvays etc and that aside my favourite bands have been The Strokes, The National, Rilo Kiley, Placebo, Ash, The Joy Formidable, The Get Up Kids, Radiohead, SFA, Tegan and Sara, Bloc Party - I suppose they are pretty safe and well known bands but hey, it’s what I like.

I’ve only been to Glasto once before in 2007 and it was a total and complete wash out but I still saw plenty of bands that I liked. I’ve tried for tickets since and failed every time except this year and being honest, the poster line ups have been pretty disappointing. I don’t really care for any headliners and while I like a few on the undercard, my general reaction to all the other poster line ups has been ‘who?’ - I’m not totally ignorant to music but I just don’t know anyone - seems like just lists and lists of DJ’s on most posters. I’d love to be able to go with more bands in mind that I would be really excited to watch - I guess I’m a little out of touch for cool new bands so perhaps people can help me out :)

Bands/Artists I will watch:
Kylie* / Sharon Van Etten* / Tame Impala* / Vampire Weekend* / Sigrid* / The Cure*
Bands/Artists I will probably watch:
Hot Chip / Chemical Brothers / The Good, The Bad & The Queen / Ms Lauren Hill / Idles / Wu-Tang Clan / The Killers / Liam Gallagher / Johnny Marr / Interpol / Friendly Fires / Two Door Cinema Club / Bastille / Miley Cyrus / Snow Patrol / Sheryl Crow / Santigold / The Streets

Pick half a dozen must sees and go with the flow. Don’t sit by any one stage. Chances are you’ll get waylaid by something interesting, not necessarily musical, and forget where you were heading and/or lose track of time.

I second (or third, or whatever) just going with the flow and seeing what happens. I've been known to pick what bands to see purely because I liked their name. If you don't like something then just go for a wander, something you do like will crop up soon enough.

Saying that, if you want poppy-punky female vocals, Dream Wife should be right up your street.

On 5/22/2019 at 8:31 PM, michaelsft said:

In two hours you got through a playlist of over 1500 songs? 

• Upvote 1

I'll be honest, there is so much going on you'll probably struggle to get through the list you have already. You have 22 acts on there. To put into perspective in 2016 I saw around 30 acts and I was on the go solidly and lost almost half a stone from walking. Its an old cliche but it's not just about the bands. Have a wander around the T&C field and other areas and take some of that in for a while.?

On 5/22/2019 at 7:31 PM, michaelsft said:

Don't forget there's still another 41 bands to come for the main three stages, and William's Green too which can throw up a few names.

The Big Moon will be on John Peel, one day during the day. Check them out - all female indie group.

On your genuinely excited to see list you’ve got more than enough. They’ll be clashes for sure (Chems/Killers/Wu-Tang/Hot Chip all expected to headline their respective stages on Saturday night for example). 

I intend to pick 1 or 2 a day that I want to see then just bimble around and go and check out T&C and Green Fields and get lost. Not to mention eat my 5/6 meals a day because it would be rude not to with such good food available ??

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:10 PM, michaelsft said:

. I really like poppy punky guitar music, usually with a female vocalist like The Beths, Doe, Fresh, Alvvays etc and

In that case, of newer acts, try

Lauran Hibberd (BBC INTRODUCING + GREENPEACE STAGES)

Sunflower Bean (WILLIAMS GREEN)

Amyl & The Sniffers (WILLIAMS GREEN)

Pip Blom (JOHN PEEL AND WILLIAMS GREEN)

Madonnatron (WILLIAMS GREEN)

Pale Waves (JOHN PEEL)

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:00 PM, crazyfool1 said:

by all means investigate .... but the most fun is had by coming across random unplanned things whilst bimbling around .... so make sure you do a good mix of this too interspersed with some must sees 

So this. Sack off the bands for part of it and go and wonder and find all the wonderful things the festival has to offer. So So much

Peoples best Glastonbury stories hardly ever revolve around seeing a band