Park Area Announcement

JoeyT

Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real will be the Bradley Cooper 'secret' appearance - imagine he'll come out for at least one A Star Is Born tracks.

Presumably Jessie Buckley is singing stuff from Wild Rose? Not had a chance to see it at the cinema but heard good things from Kermode & Mayo.

Stonebridge Bar is going to be a popular place to be this year!

Seems like there’s two or three acts less on The Park this year. This is just a theory and probably wrong but given Idles are apparently on at 6pm and they’re pretty high up on that poster, I wonder if it might be closing early every night rather than just Sunday? Would avoid the potential Chemical Brothers/Hot Chip clash too.

Just now, kingcrawler said:

Seems like there’s two or three acts less on The Park this year. This is just a theory and probably wrong but given Idles are apparently on at 6pm and they’re pretty high up on that poster, I wonder if it might be closing early every night rather than just Sunday? Would avoid the potential Chemical Brothers/Hot Chip clash too.

Leaves space in the programme for "secret" sets one imagines? 

Never heard of Rex Orange County so checked the Wikipedia page.

a) didn't expect it to be just one guy

b) I know charts don't count for much these days but he's never had an album or song break into the main charts? That seems unusual for someone headlining the big five stages. Is he actually huge and I'm just being ignorant?

1 minute ago, mouserat said:

Never heard of Rex Orange County so checked the Wikipedia page.

a) didn't expect it to be just one guy

b) I know charts don't count for much these days but he's never had an album or song break into the main charts? That seems unusual for someone headlining the big five stages. Is he actually huge and I'm just being ignorant?

Suspect his record company is also behind another band much higher the bill, and the only way Glasto could get them is if they gave a headline slot to Rex Orange County (one of the many conditions imposed by the record label). Park is where he can do the least damage.

22 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I know he loves his music so I'd guess at DJ'ing. He's been on 6 music before talking about how he has soundtracks for all his characters. 

He did a 90s house set at Festival no 6 last year. It was good fun but he dj skills are not exactly up there!

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Best mates with Tyler the Creator, very popular with the streaming generation, kind of Mac DeMarco vibes with being a laid-back, playful dude. That'll draw a huge amounts of 16-25s who couldn't care less about Janelle or The Cure.

I think he's bigger in the US than UK, collaborates with a lot of rappers including Tyler, similar to Blood Orange I think. The hip hop Mac DeMarco is quite a good description actually.

22 minutes ago, oldmagsy83 said:

Rex orange county are a disgustingly shite band to have as headliners. Clearly been forced on Park to get glasto a band they really want from a record company. Such fucking dull dirges.

the Good the bad the queen are dull as dishwater as well. But then all Damon Albarn is release an album of farts and Emily Eavis would give him a headline slot.

About 6 good acts on this stage at most. Really was hoping for more on this stage. 

18 minutes ago, oldmagsy83 said:

Whatever, it's a shit line up for the Park. Why the hell are Low not on there? It's the stage that suits them the best, instead they'll get a shit slot and be lost inside JPT because they';re not super trendy. FFS.

So angry

Just now, Barneym said:

He did a 90s house set at Festival no 6 last year. It was good fun but he dj skills are not exactly up there!

Yes I suspect with a few celebrities who dj they may play good tunes but the mixing might not be spot on. Fine for me I'm not really a connoisseur of that skillset anyway. I just like good tunes.  

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

You're living up to your name there, @oldmagsy83

This isn't cloak and daggers. Rex is massive with kids born in 2003, not 1983. Really isn't a crisis.

Just a shame that he could play any stage and sound the same, but a stage that would really suit a band like Low is denied to them, either because they're not trendy enough, or a record label is dictating to glasto who plays where and when.