What fields will have spaces to pitch tents on the Friday evening?

CeriG

If you’ve got a hiking type tent and you are by yourself (ie just one tent) you could be lucky and find a spot pretty close around Michaels Mead/Hawkeswell. You might be on a slope though.  Hitchen Ground isn’t too back but is on even more of a slope in places. 

South Park would be your best bet if there are a few of you/you want a bit of space. Or if you have a bigger tent.

If I was turning up that late on, and nobody had saved space for me, the first thing I'd do on walking through the gate would be to talk to the Campsite Crew (who have a base just inside each of the main pedestrian gates). They can advise on the current state of play.

Just now, incident said:

If I was turning up that late on, and nobody had saved space for me, the first thing I'd do on walking through the gate would be to talk to the Campsite Crew (who have a base just inside each of the main pedestrian gates). They can advise on the current state of play.

^^ THIS ^^

There's a map by the campsite crew's base (and lockups at Ped-A) that shows where there is space. in 2017 I arrived late Thursday and managed to get a 2-man Vango pitched in the field by the other stage after being told there was some space left for small tents..

Thanks guys. 2 people are coming Friday night and I offered to pitch their tent for them as we arrive Thursday morning by coach.... but they are wanting us to pitch their tent near big ground. We are staying in Campervan East so it's a right treck to go and pitch their tent and then go to CV East..... and then a treck to show them where their tent is when they arrive.

I've said I will pitch it in Darble or Pylon, if not they will have to pitch it themselves on the Friday night.

5 hours ago, CeriG said:

Thanks guys. 2 people are coming Friday night and I offered to pitch their tent for them as we arrive Thursday morning by coach.... but they are wanting us to pitch their tent near big ground. We are staying in Campervan East so it's a right treck to go and pitch their tent and then go to CV East..... and then a treck to show them where their tent is when they arrive.

I've said I will pitch it in Darble or Pylon, if not they will have to pitch it themselves on the Friday night.

Probability of find a space around Big Ground on Thursday is low as is anywhere on the east side. I'd pitch it Darble or Pylon if they want to stay within the fence.....saves the hunt for space on Big Ground and the probable need to look elsewhere. Only issue is you would need to walk all the way back on Friday to show them to their tent.

3 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Probability of find a space around Big Ground on Thursday is low as is anywhere on the east side. I'd pitch it Darble or Pylon if they want to stay within the fence.....saves the hunt for space on Big Ground and the probable need to look elsewhere. Only issue is you would need to walk all the way back on Friday to show them to their tent.

This is the thing. I’ve sorted all the tickets for everyone and organised everything. I really don’t want to have to walk all the way back there to show them where their tent is. Do you think pylon and Darble Would have space for them to pitch up on the Friday? 

Obviously if it comes to it then I’ll have to pitch it for them but want to avoid it if possible 

22 minutes ago, CeriG said:

This is the thing. I’ve sorted all the tickets for everyone and organised everything. I really don’t want to have to walk all the way back there to show them where their tent is. Do you think pylon and Darble Would have space for them to pitch up on the Friday? 

Obviously if it comes to it then I’ll have to pitch it for them but want to avoid it if possible 

It's maybe a little impersonal, but have you considered turning on GPS, getting a fixed location for the tent, and then sharing that with them using Google Maps or what3words?

16 minutes ago, CeriG said:

Wish I had some to spoil me like that ?

Since the site expanded there has always been space available on the west side of the site for latecomers, Hitchin, Darble, Pylon, Bushy, Rivermead, Dairy, Baileys, South Pool etc

Just now, Lycra said:

Wish I had some to spoil me like that ?

Since the site expanded there has always been space available on the west side of the site for latecomers, Hitchin, Darble, Pylon, Bushy, Rivermead, Dairy, Baileys, South Pool etc

Thanks. Going to leave them to sort themselves I think ??

We ended up camping in Darble last year after an unfortunate incident with our coach toilet leaking on our rucksacks (yes it was grim!! but thankfully everything inside was in plastic bags). There was absolutely loads of space throughout the festival.

On 5/22/2019 at 6:45 PM, incident said:

It's maybe a little impersonal, but have you considered turning on GPS, getting a fixed location for the tent, and then sharing that with them using Google Maps or what3words?

Oh my!! That sounds very technical... is it easy to do? (And accurate) 

On 5/27/2019 at 10:44 AM, Lady Stardust said:

Can't you just pitch a tent next to your camper? One of the joys of being in the campervan fields is that you don't have to worry about finding somewhere to put a tent up.

I was hoping that we could, but the people we are staying with in CV have invited us to stay with them there. I approached the subject and felt like it was a bit cheeky to ask and also that they didn’t want any more people. They don’t know the 2 arriving on the Friday very well. 

2 hours ago, CeriG said:

I was hoping that we could, but the people we are staying with in CV have invited us to stay with them there. I approached the subject and felt like it was a bit cheeky to ask and also that they didn’t want any more people. They don’t know the 2 arriving on the Friday very well. 

I can understand that, having a motor-home /caravan with shower and toilet facilities is a bonus, however you don't want too many using it or it becomes unusable when the battery runs out! Even if they aren't invited to use the facilities  there may be expectations that they can as everyone else is.....