Recommend me a music book for my journey.

eastynh

So this year I am travelling down by coach and could do with some reading material to take with me.

Can anyone reccomend a decent book to purchase? It could be biography, auto biography, one about a particular scene or anything else music related.

I did buy the new Stephen Morris and Moby books, but have done a Johnny 5 and blitzed through them.

I have got all the ones about Manchester/Madchester, New Order, Depeche Mode, Rave scene, Acid House and so on. I have been posting on here now for quite a while so a lot of you know what kind of stuff I am into. It would be nice to be taken out of my comfort zone a little.

All recomnendations are welcome. If it is a good book then I will get round to reading it eventually, does not have to be just for Glasto.

Now the football season is over and I have stopped winding Scousers up in the football thread, I will have a bit more spare time on my hands to delve into some books anyway. 

Edited by eastynh

9 minutes ago, AmyShambles said:

Things The Grandchildren Should Know - Mark Oliver Everett (aka E from Eels).  Thoroughly enjoyed this book, so much so that I have read it twice.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2268120.Things_The_Grandchildren_Should_Know

Cheers Amy ?

Aww where has your Sergio picture gone? Vincent leaves and now you have changed your avatar. Feels like the end of an era ?

Bernardo not a bad replacement though.

Edited by eastynh

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Cheers Amy ?

Aww where has your Sergio picture. Vincent leaves and now you have changed your avatar. Feels like the end of an era ?

Bernardo not a bad replacement though.

No problem.  It is a really good read, he's had an absolutely mental life.

Had to get my boyfriend to finish reading Vinnie's letter to the fans, I was in tears after the first few lines.

Sergio will always be my number one.  It's a homage to Bernardo winning POTS.

Edited by AmyShambles

Try this - it's fascinating, and you'll recognise some of the people and places in it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nico-Songs-They-Never-Radio/dp/0747544115

The story of Nico, former model, film actress, singer with the Velvet Underground and darling of Andy Warhol's factory.;In 1982 Nico was living in Manchester, alone and interested only in feeding her heroin habit. Local promoter Dr Demetrius saw an opportunity, hired musicians to back her, rented a decrepit van and set off with Nico and the band on a disastrous tour of Italy. Over the next six years, until her death in 1988, Nico toured the world with assorted thrown-together bands. They made next to no money, appalled many of their audiences and occasionally, on the rare nights when the music worked, pleased a few.;James Young played keyboards for Nico throughout those years. In this book, he records the never-ending antics of a picaresque circus of addicts, outsiders and misfits who travelled the world - East and Western Europe, the United States, Australia and Japan - encountering an equally bizarre and extraordinary mixture of people: poets, artists, gangsters, losers and drifters. John Cale, John Cooper Clarke, Allen Ginsberg and Gregory Corso are among those who appear in this story of Nico, the last Bohemian.

5 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Try this - it's fascinating, and you'll recognise some of the people and places in it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nico-Songs-They-Never-Radio/dp/0747544115

Hell of a book that, yeah. Read it when it came out, made a big impression on me. Read it again last summer and it seemed more problematic but still a gripping read.