Arriving Tuesday night/ before gate opening

Chloé971

Hi, this year will be my first year travelling by car to Glastonbury, we are planning to set off Tuesday night and when we arrive the site, sleep in the car until the gates open. I read there will no facilities provided in the car park, I was wondering does this mean toilets or just food/drink stalls?

5 minutes ago, Chloé971 said:

Hi, this year will be my first year travelling by car to Glastonbury, we are planning to set off Tuesday night and when we arrive the site, sleep in the car until the gates open. I read there will no facilities provided in the car park, I was wondering does this mean toilets or just food/drink stalls?

There are toilets in the car parks, in the form of portaloos. There is no food/drink options.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lady Stardust said:

Depending on where you're parked, you might be able to walk through to the campervan fields, where there are food stalls. Don't hold me to this though!

We did this in 2017 in the Blue car park. Security will check tickets at the camper van entrance.  Take snacks. Definitely no food stalls around there

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

We did this in 2017 in the Blue car park. Security will check tickets at the camper van entrance.  Take snacks. Definitely no food stalls around there

Are you talking about Campervan East?  Didn't they have some food vans at the top of the hill, before the drop to the gate?

29 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Are you talking about Campervan East?  Didn't they have some food vans at the top of the hill, before the drop to the gate?

campervan east is separate to where campers get parked up and held. They only get let thru the cv fields shortly before the gates open.

So there's no access to the food vans in the cv fields for campers waiting overnight in the car parks.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

campervan east is separate to where campers get parked up and held. They only get let thru the cv fields shortly before the gates open.

So there's no access to the food vans in the cv fields for campers waiting overnight in the car parks.

But in 2017, there was free entry from Carpark 8 into East17 (source: I went to check myself on the Tuesday - anyone could and was walking in).

I know in years gone by access was restricted, but it wasn't in 2017.

18 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

But in 2017, there was free entry from Carpark 8 into East17 (source: I went to check myself on the Tuesday - anyone could and was walking in).

ah, OK. 

It might be the same again this time then - but it might not be either.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

ah, OK. 

Indeed.  I agree, who knows.  For many years I've camped in East, and the fact that you could walk to gate C around 7am, and be the first in around 200 - 400 people was a nice perk.  I've posted this before, but - This is Gate C at 0700 in 2015:

DSCN2024_zpsrtjgcn17.jpg

This is Gate C approach in 2017, at 1113, much further up the hill:

Wed%2021.06.2017%20at%201113_zpsm6dsq8pw

2017 was much harder on those in the campervan field than before.  I used to look forward to a pint in the Avalon Inn before lunchtime.  In 2017, it was much later, after around 3hours in the line.  It's the main reason I'm trying West this year, the hassle of getting in.

Edited by EasyUserName
  • Upvote 1

We had a similar experience at gate c. This is us at 8.30am having left our cars two hours earlier. Took us until 10am to get through. Not a criticism at all, it’s just a lot of people to process and security was tighter in 2017 imo.

B3C30BD9-C52B-41E1-8A99-628D64DEFE22.jpeg

Edited by March Hare

23 minutes ago, March Hare said:

We had a similar experience at gate c. This is us at 8.30am having left our cars two hours earlier. Took us until 10am to get through. Not a criticism at all, it’s just a lot of people to process and security was tighter in 2017 imo.

B3C30BD9-C52B-41E1-8A99-628D64DEFE22.jpeg

Is this taken from E20 looking down the hill? I'm guessing from the time, maybe e19?

In 2017 We got into E10 at around 5am and schlepped to the last bit of the East Camper fields before hitting the back of the queue. It was gone 9am by the time we got into Gate C.

in 2016 me and my lad walked with our tents from Cannards Grave to Gate C, getting there at 9am and there was no queue such we’re the traffic problems on site.

So can you get from the car parks in the east to the east campervan fields on Tuesday night? I'm a bit worried now- we're in a caravan, but my mum is driving down as there's not enough room in the car for all of us. The plan was she'd park up and walk through to meet us. Will she be able to?

4 hours ago, Lady Stardust said:

So can you get from the car parks in the east to the east campervan fields on Tuesday night? I'm a bit worried now- we're in a caravan, but my mum is driving down as there's not enough room in the car for all of us. The plan was she'd park up and walk through to meet us. Will she be able to?

You would have been in 2017.  Can't say for this year though.

I'd guess it will be fine though.  Someone asked the same question to the festival itself, and they posted the reply which was a "yes" in essence.  On the balance, assuming the gate staff know, I'd say you'll be fine.

On 5/20/2019 at 1:02 PM, Chloé971 said:

That's what I thought. Great, thank you for your help!

The food in CV East is of the burger variety. I'd recommend you take some food to see you through and enjoy the better food on site, Weds.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:32 PM, EasyUserName said:

On 5/22/2019 at 2:51 PM, eFestivals said:

ah, OK. 

I've asked the main office about my mate parking up in East on Tuesday and then walking to join me in the CV East on the evening, and was told it's possible. I've no idea what/where parking arrangements are, but he can get to us on Tuesday.

@Ladystardust

I missed your post originally, but I've been told 'yes'.

Edited by carlosj

16 hours ago, carlosj said:

I've asked the main office about my mate parking up in East on Tuesday and then walking to join me in the CV East on the evening, and was told it's possible. I've no idea what/where parking arrangements are, but he can get to us on Tuesday.

Brilliant, thanks. My mum is almost 70, I don't think she'd fancy sleeping in her car all night!