Mobile phones at Glastonbury

Fearless_Fish

Mobile phones at Glastonbury  

186 members have voted

1. 1. So what do you take?

• Smartphone - gotta keep on Twitter and WhatsApp!
    • Ye olde phone - need to phone and text in emergencies, but otherwise party down!
    • None - don't want none of those real world people finding me at Glasto!

8 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Having lost a couple of smartphones whilst Gillespied, I’m in the old Nokia camp. It’s great to be away from t’internet for a few days (you can always check via mates), tho not having a camera is a pain.

Always a good moment when the Nokia is fired up and we read all the previous year’s Gillespied texts. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Old Nokia plus spare batteries. I'm talking basic phone and text only here.

Had to replace it this year. The new one has an MP3 player, radio and a camera but that's it. It's missing a countdown timer, a stopwatch and the reminders function is now pretty much unfunctionable (you can enter reminders, and it will ping you to remind you, but you can't go through your reminders to see what reminders you have set. Ffs). All stuff I used to find really useful and used pretty much daily.

I really would love a smartphone at the festival. But. The expense (plus I have no idea about phone plans. They're a confuseopoly. PAYG here), plus not enough time to learn how to use one properly will probably mean I won't bother to get one.

I also have issues with how much time I spend online. If I'm home, the PC's generally on and I'm online on something. If I had that walkabout I'd never be offline.

Truth is I only ever got a mobile because of the festival. It just became the way of finding where your crowd were at (people trying to justify flags at stages as "to find my mates" take note).

This year is the first year I will be taking a Smartphone to Glastonbury - if I was a ticket holder I doubt I would bother but I have access to WBC Crew site wi-fi.

I also have power 24/7 so charging is not a problem - The Crew bar staff has its own power strip so don't have to use the general crew charging area.  

the photo shows the pouch which contains my Motorola Moto g7 power Smartphone ' with case ' and my wallet inside and it even has room for a second phone !!

don't you have wi-fi at Shelter/Avalon ? 

My old 3G phone has a dead loud alarm and that will last about 12 days between charges so will have it just to wake me up.

Was at a WBC Organiser planning meeting on Saturday # they claim all teams will be sent their shifts and where they are working next week # - now this is new although I doubt it will affect my Team as I work out the shifts with the Crew bar Tent Manager on the Tuesday - it is a new WBC Staff Manager this year so time will tell if her new policy works. 

its 30 days before we are onsite and you never know ' we may not see rain this year ' 
pounch-R.thumb.jpg.0219e73d97e642c8dc77d256edae2fcd.jpg

I normally fined my iphone 5 with the screen right down n data off it will last 2 days, plus a couple of shit freebie power banks that give me about 1/3 of a charge will get me though. I've actually aquired a 2nd iphone5 with a buggered screen but you can still make calls on it so it will become my glastophone. 

I have to have something in case there is an emergency with my son.

I seldom use the internet at glasto, I like catching up with the world in one big lump on tuesday. 

3 hours ago, caballosblancos said:

Always a good moment when the Nokia is fired up and we read all the previous year’s Gillespied texts

Speaking of Gillespied texts, I have a great series of them on my old festival phone from 2014. 

My mate was in somewhat of another dimension on the Sunday night. We were all headed to watch Massive Attack on the other stage and had to keep him on an actual leash on the way down to the stage. 

During the set he was wandering further and further away from us and wouldn't stay close so that was it, we gazed proudly as he wandered off into the horizon. He was free, now. 

I didn't get these texts until I got back home and charged my phone on Monday. The series from said mate go something like this:

22:15: Where are you c***s?!

01:45: C***s???

02:35: C***s?

03:05: C***s.

Still makes me howl. He looked so happy to be free as he bumbled off :)

• Upvote 1

I use my smartphone a little bit in the day time, mainly to meet up with people and to take photos.  But then usually forget about it when drunk in the evening.  

The time I find it really useful is not long after waking up, when I am too hungover to move but cannot sleep anymore. Then I read the whole of the internet.

13 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

don't you have wi-fi at Shelter/Avalon ?

Yes, but it seems to be a password protected, managers/supervisors only thing.

I only have one portable, wi-fi enabled device and that is my ancient (no 3G) Sony Playstation Vita. I have enquired previously if I could have the password. Just for a couple of cheeky twitter uploads (it's not like I'm Vlogging or anything), but they don't allow it.

They use it to access websites to check the validity of foreign identity documents (for age checking). Sure I saw someone use it to check if a Scottish note was real once ;).

They're well trained. Seen them using The CIA's site which is well referenced at my work (I've tried telling them "That's a genuine document, I see them at work all of the time", and they are well trained enough to not just take my word for it and do the legwork themselves).

I'm sure you have experience of all that.

If you wander around site you can find lots of connections but I've yet to find one that is not password protected and that actually works.

Absolutely totally gutted that EE stopped allowing Twitter to SMS/text me tweets from selected accounts a while back. How am I going to hear about secret sets this year? @SecretGlasto & @eFestivalshave been invaluable the last few years.

Only really used to worry because of the battery thing, and now that's not ridiculously heavy I just go for it. This current cruddy Motorola g4 thing that was old news when i got it has been through tonnes in my back pocket and it's still ok - bit bent, still ok.

iPhones are ridiculously fragile though. That seems to be quite the dividing factor on phone survival for whatever reason.

I've been to twice as many Glastonbury festivals without a mobile phone than I have been to with one. 20:10 at least.

Mobiles are useless when you are baked and in the moment anyway. Best just leave them at home where you can't misplace them.

Losing your friends and hooking up with strangers is a big part of the appeal.

All my memories are in my head.

Two of my all time favourite tunes, forever.

Edited by bamber

I’ll use my iPhone plenty, I fully understand the appeal of being disconnected for the festival, but will admit to be too wedded to my phone and will use for:

1. Festival news and secret gigs, it’s worked for me several times

2. Photos, I love capturing moments at the festival and may even bring my camera this time too

3. Keeping in touch with our group at the festival via WhatsApp 

4. I’ll check on the outside world and efests each morning

So to do all this I’ve built up a number of chargers to keep the iPhone running, never yet had to queue at EE

7 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Yes, but it seems to be a password protected, managers/supervisors only thing.

I only have one portable, wi-fi enabled device and that is my ancient (no 3G) Sony Playstation Vita. I have enquired previously if I could have the password. Just for a couple of cheeky twitter uploads (it's not like I'm Vlogging or anything), but they don't allow it.

They use it to access websites to check the validity of foreign identity documents (for age checking). Sure I saw someone use it to check if a Scottish note was real once ;).

They're well trained. Seen them using The CIA's site which is well referenced at my work (I've tried telling them "That's a genuine document, I see them at work all of the time", and they are well trained enough to not just take my word for it and do the legwork themselves).

I'm sure you have experience of all that.

If you wander around site you can find lots of connections but I've yet to find one that is not password protected and that actually works.

Absolutely totally gutted that EE stopped allowing Twitter to SMS/text me tweets from selected accounts a while back. How am I going to hear about secret sets this year? @SecretGlasto & @eFestivalshave been invaluable the last few years.

what a shame - just get one of them drunk and you will soon get the password - when I used to work in Public Bars at festivals they used to send all the Scottish Notes to me not appreciating I left Scotland in the mid 70's so would not have a clue what a current note should look like - I would grab one of the Scottish Security who actually lived up in Scotland.