Mobile phones at Glastonbury

Fearless_Fish

Mobile phones at Glastonbury  

186 members have voted

1. 1. So what do you take?

• Smartphone - gotta keep on Twitter and WhatsApp!
    • Ye olde phone - need to phone and text in emergencies, but otherwise party down!
    • None - don't want none of those real world people finding me at Glasto!

I take my smartphone to keep in touch with mates who are at the festival and camping away from us as we are in crew camping. I also like to keep up to date for any possible secret sets that may pop up on here or with secret glasto on twitter. 

49 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Old cheap Nokia burner phone with a Pay as you go sim, reasons being:

1) So I don't have to worry about losing my normal mobile

2) so I can't get work related emails, calls and texts 

3) internet detox

4) Can't be arsed charging phones at the festival

5) Tradition!

Ditto

Smart phone for photos mainly and keeping in touch. Battery is a bit crap though as it’s a bit old now so try not to surf Internet or anything to save battery life. Have 2 reasonable chargers plus a smaller one. Used to have an old festival phone with an EE sim but it doesn’t work anymore. 

Take my normal smart phone and carry on with my life as normal. Never understood this shutting yourself off from the outside lark. 

Phone allows me to keep in touch with my camping group via WhatsApp as we all split up during the day, take photos, check Twitter occasionally for any updates on secret sets, read the news and reviews in the morning whilst lying in my sleeping bag and keep in touch with friends and family. 

Don't worry about losing my phone as to me it's no different than going to gigs and other fests where I take my phone.

• Upvote 1

Smartphone because the glasto app is handy and I can check weather forecasts every morning. It also takes really good pictures, I've gotten them enlarged and framed in the past and they look great. If I was to bring and old skool phone id wouldn't be able to take any pictures.

I will be taking my smartphone as it has a great camera and saves me taking a separate camera with me.

Also got a cheapo alcatel one as back up and a contact if I do lose my main phone.

Edited by dondo

Good thread this, I've always just taken a burner phone and it's been absolutely fine (except the one year where we all managed to buy burner phones that had a similar battery life to smart phone!) 

Shocked to see so many people vote for smartphone, never really considered it before, but now after reading this and seeing the other thread about the decent power packs you can get, i'm now definitely thinking about it. I'm a bit of a phone addict tho, always find myself just scrolling through twitter almost involuntary sometimes, and 100% don't want to be doing this at Glastonbury. Airplane mode seems a good shout, as people have said.  

So do you all just give it a good charge over night and then that lasts the whole day (if it's used sensibly)?

17 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Good thread this, I've always just taken a burner phone and it's been absolutely fine (except the one year where we all managed to buy burner phones that had a similar battery life to smart phone!) 

Shocked to see so many people vote for smartphone, never really considered it before, but now after reading this and seeing the other thread about the decent power packs you can get, i'm now definitely thinking about it. I'm a bit of a phone addict tho, always find myself just scrolling through twitter almost involuntary sometimes, and 100% don't want to be doing this at Glastonbury. Airplane mode seems a good shout, as people have said.  

So do you all just give it a good charge over night and then that lasts the whole day (if it's used sensibly)?

I'm always on social media but easily avoid it at Glasto as the interest in looking at it goes completely.
Personally wouldn't recommend putting the phone on airplane mode as it will stop you receiving calls/being able to call the phone if lost. You can help battery life by turning off all notifications, bluetooth, wifi etc

Smartphone off and popped into the lockups for all but the first and last day - I resort to yer standard old burner that’s really only for telling the time and the occasional text to other people at the fest. This might sound a bit miserable ?? but I like doing my own thing and meeting up with people isn’t especially high on my agenda - let alone those big groups where you have to stop every hundred yards for toilet/pizza/more gin/Dave’s buying something/Claire is lost/etc etc etc. I’ve got places to be and things to see and do! 

Wednesday and thursday are different, cos they’re entirely open schedules. But when the music starts: cheerio mates, I’m offski 

Old Nokia plus spare batteries. I'm talking basic phone and text only here.

Had to replace it this year. The new one has an MP3 player, radio and a camera but that's it. It's missing a countdown timer, a stopwatch and the reminders function is now pretty much unfunctionable (you can enter reminders, and it will ping you to remind you, but you can't go through your reminders to see what reminders you have set. Ffs). All stuff I used to find really useful and used pretty much daily.

I really would love a smartphone at the festival. But. The expense (plus I have no idea about phone plans. They're a confuseopoly. PAYG here), plus not enough time to learn how to use one properly will probably mean I won't bother to get one.

I also have issues with how much time I spend online. If I'm home, the PC's generally on and I'm online on something. If I had that walkabout I'd never be offline.

Truth is I only ever got a mobile because of the festival. It just became the way of finding where your crowd were at (people trying to justify flags at stages as "to find my mates" take note).

On 5/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

I take my smartphone but not really because of wanting to be on social media, more so that I can take photos and contact the few people I know who are going via whatsapp. Also I have decent power packs, so can't be arsed to buy a shit phone just for the festival. I do have it on battery saving mode or airplane mode a good chunk of the time though.

This. I can never remember everything I see or do so like to take ninja snaps as I go throughout the day. Tend to just bimble but also to try and meet up with others depending on what acts are on.