Mobile phones at Glastonbury

Fearless_Fish

Mobile phones at Glastonbury  

186 members have voted

1. 1. So what do you take?

• Smartphone - gotta keep on Twitter and WhatsApp!
    • Ye olde phone - need to phone and text in emergencies, but otherwise party down!
    • None - don't want none of those real world people finding me at Glasto!

So what does everyone do regarding mobile phones at Glastonbury? I personally like being cut off from the outside world, but have always taken a pre-smartphone so that I can be contacted in emergencies. I also get texts off a friend regarding secret sets and weather forecasts - and that's it. I'd prefer to not take one at all to be honest. This year though some of my girlfriend's family are coming and no doubt they'll want to meet up at some point and cramp my style.

The pre-smartphone I used previously has now broken though. Yesterday I learned about the existence of power packs and for the same price as an old phone I can now buy a power pack that charges my smartphone 3 times meaning that I can take it to the festival, and the power pack could also be used for other camping, and weekends away. Question is though, do I cross that final frontier into taking a smartphone to Glastonbury, or do I spend the same amount I would on the power pack on a new old phone that'll only be used once a year, if that?

I don't have any issues with my smart phone now that I have the power banks and can drop it in at night with the campsite crew.

That said my husband is the old brick phone faithful so we rely on his phone always being "on" as a central beacon.

Ive lost or broken a smart phone at each of the last four festivals I've been to. It's a nightmare. But I still want to take my smart phone for photos and stuff. I'm hoping my new bum bag will prevent loss!!

Also taking one (or maybe two) spare old-school phones, because as I have discovered, you can never be to careful! And being incommunicado is not as fun as it sounds.

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

"2 burner phones"

Someone's been watching Line of Duty :lol:

Ha!

Do you know what, being old and keep hearing that phrase, I thought it was now in common usage!

I'm going to revert back to 'shit phones'!!!

Smartphone and portable charger. Mostly kept in airplane mode and will take pictures but not as many as I'd like or I should have when I look back over the years. Maybe the odd text or WhatsApp message here and there but limited. Might post the odd picture onto Instagram while there to make my millions of followers jealous but that's about it

I take my smart phone with me because I like to be able to take photos/videos on the go and check the news, weather and if there are any secret announcements in the mornings.  

Generally I try not to use my phone in the day other than it's intended function and I'm looking forward to disconnecting from the outside world as much as I can.

Yeah, with taking an old crappy phone I also end up taking a small point-and-click digital camera to take photos with, but it just ends up at the bottom of the bag unused! With a smartphone I'll take tonnes more. But will the temptation to send photos to my work colleagues to make them jealous prove too strong? Or the temptation to start scrolling while I wait the inordinate amount of time it takes for my girlfriend to locate and use a satisfactory long drop?

To be fair, I took a smartphone to Green Man last year and didn't use it a whole load. But firstly, Green Man felt different in some way - a lovely festival but not a complete different world like Glastonbury. Secondly, I didn't have a power pack so was forced to use aeroplane mode most of the time, and therefore had to limit my usage.

Cheap Nokia for me. I don't want any distractions while I'm there. People will have my number in case of an emergency.

I use a Twitter to SMS type service and link it to @secretglasto for secret set news.

Smartphone doesn't offer anything else that I need while I'm there.

Old cheap Nokia burner phone with a Pay as you go sim, reasons being:

1) So I don't have to worry about losing my normal mobile

2) so I can't get work related emails, calls and texts 

3) internet detox

4) Can't be arsed charging phones at the festival

5) Tradition!

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 1

I take my smartphone but not really because of wanting to be on social media, more so that I can take photos and contact the few people I know who are going via whatsapp. Also I have decent power packs, so can't be arsed to buy a shit phone just for the festival. I do have it on battery saving mode or airplane mode a good chunk of the time though.