Carlsberg Tuborg will not be at Glastonbury 2019

glasto-worker

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Have you tried the new version?  Whilst I hesitate to use the word "good", I can unreservedly say it's not as bad as Tuborg.

New version?? So its not just Carlsberg Carlsberg that you bet in a boozer? 

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

New version?? So its not just Carlsberg Carlsberg that you bet in a boozer? 

They've got rid of the old Carlsberg, updated the recipe and rebranded it as "Carlsberg Danish Pilsner "

I like the quote from this article "It’s gone from being a noticeably bad beer to an unnoticeably average beer. Definitely an improvement, but I think I’m unlikely to go out and buy it."

https://inews.co.uk/news/consumer/carlsberg-new-pilsner-danish-old-lager-taste-test-best-beer-world/ 

Tuborg is not as good as "unnoticeably average beer". 

EDIT: It's still a 3.8% mass market beer. Craft it ain't, but will go down alright if cold and drunk on a hot day on the farm.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

They've got rid of the old Carlsberg, updated the recipe and rebranded it as "Carlsberg Danish Pilsner "

I like the quote from this article "It’s gone from being a noticeably bad beer to an unnoticeably average beer. Definitely an improvement, but I think I’m unlikely to go out and buy it."

https://inews.co.uk/news/consumer/carlsberg-new-pilsner-danish-old-lager-taste-test-best-beer-world/ 

Tuborg is not as good as "unnoticeably average beer". 

Oh well im intrigued to try it now haha! Old carlsberg had a distinctive sweet tang to it which was not very nice. I've always thought Tuborg was ok haha considering its always been cheap as chips as well mind. 

18 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

If you like Burrows Hill you will love this cider as well. It’s Cornish cider, made on the farm that the apples are grown on. The point I mentioned above about ordering your own mix applies here a well. You can buy bottles of medium and you can buy flagons or bags in a box of your own mix of sweet and dry. My preferred mix is c15% sweet 85% dry. It tastes like a dryish medium burrow hill. You can order on line and let them know what you want.

303242A2-4F3C-409B-AEF8-E84D9F1751BB.jpeg

I miss my old cider farm, Churchwards in Paignton. Used to be able to take any old container down and they'd fill it up with scrumpy. Would go down with my dad every Sunday lunchtime with 2 old milk bottles and get them filled with sweet (mum) and dry (me and dad) for Sunday dinner ?

Farm was sold eventually and barns turned into houses. Was a sad day.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Those are my sentiments as well. Mind you I can't tolerate anything below around 5%. 3.8 would send me to the loo every 5 minutes 

Yep totally agree, with beer anything under 4% and I'd rather just have water. Export is a nice tasting 4.8% (used to be 5% for years). And red wine, anything under 13% is long, boring and drawn out. However 14% and above is bordering on sherry tasting.

It's a fine line between shit, decent and just silly.

4 hours ago, PorkSoda said:

Any chance of an ipa being at the main bars, i know there's decent offerings at smaller bars

For the past few years, the WBC bars have only had two real ales per bar: typically Otter Ale and Otter Bitter (rebranded as Pyramid and Solstice respectively.) I don't recall seeing an IPA there, which is weird for a summer festival.  Real ales only get a fraction of the sales of fizzy lager and cider in the main bars, so I'd be surprised if they bothered bringing in anything different this year. If you search on here, you'll find threads discussing where the best bars are for real ale and craft beers - these aren't the main WBC bulk bars.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff

8 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

For the past few years, the WBC bars have only had two real ales per bar: typically Otter Ale and Otter Bitter (rebranded as Pyramid and Solstice respectively.) I don't recall seeing an IPA there, which is weird for a summer festival.  Real ales only get a fraction of the sales of fizzy lager and cider in the main bars, so I'd be surprised if they bothered bringing in anything different this year. If you search on here, you'll find threads discussing where the best bars are for real ale and craft beers - these aren't the main WBC bulk bars.

The names of the new bars, Tap House and Brew Bar are promising. 

I guess the issue is about storage.  WBC bars only have a small rack for real ale barrels so they have a fast turnaround time. This means they have to use 'bright' beers which can be thrown around without stirring up the sediment.  Presumably, the breweries only offer a limited range of bright beers. Dedicated real ale bars, like The Cornish Arms, will have a proper barrel storage area so can use any barreled beer as they can leave it on the rack for hours to settle.  The 'craft' beer sellers don't have this problem. Their beers are in cans or kegs, with no sediment, so they can stock a huge variety of different beers without worrying about storage and settling.

On 5/19/2019 at 10:52 PM, glasto-worker said:

its not always it all depends how long you have been attending.

There is only a few beer Companies who are able to supply the quantity that is required and these days the draft comes in Tankers { provided there is space } 

If Glastonbury was in Scotland then it would be Tennent's Lager and if Glastonbury was in Ireland then it would be Heineken Lager - there was a commercial war over many years between mainly Carlsberg and Carling { and various other Companies but they were the main two } and Carling decided to focus on smaller events.

Each year you will see posts ' why don't they sell X - Y and Z ? ' but none of these Companies is able to guarantee the quantity that is required over a certain time frame.

its a Commercial decision that will never please everyone.

Being a lager drinker I have always avoided Carlsberg Tuborg but the new Carlsberg Danish Pilsner is not bad at all - note shot below was not taking at Glastonbury.  

2007-read-34.thumb.jpg.92809df38d0d7de2c6d0c43778556436.jpg

Thanks for that! All makes sense. 

16 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Thanks for that! All makes sense. 

7 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Any idea what the prices are going to be? What does one pay at a festival these days. 

In fact the person who sets them ' has not fixed the prices yet '

The decision is made within a few days of the festival opening

lots of factors are taking into account and Glastonbury has to be the trickiest of them all due to there not being a arena.

I recall years ago when in the Guest Bar it was £3 a pint for lager - I decided to put up a extra sign saying ' special offer three pints of lager for £10 !!! ' - its amazing how many people asked for the special offer - they were well baffled when I gave them back £1.

1 hour ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I notice TOS says the bars charge London prices. That means sod all to me as a 5% lager in the local Holts pub is less than 3 quid. 

Would a budget of a fiver a pint seem reasonable? 

I’d be surprised if it’s more but London is often £5.50 or £6 now if you are drinking craft. £5 for basic lager and cider sounds about right bit less for cask ale

I’d expect the prices, I’m just horrified that I look at the whole bar list and going down from the top, I’d drink Jagermeister, water, coke and sprite. That’s it. Even the spirits are shameful third party knockoff shit. I’d sneak in a bottle of nice rum and order cokes at the bar then ??

I know someone who is running the welfare support at it.

strange the layout change between Friday and Saturday/Sunday

extra note - You may bring in food and soft drinks to the event for your own personal consumption provided that any soft drinks are in unopened and sealed plastic or paper containers with a capacity of 500ml or less, restricted to one per person.

There will be free water taps available to refill water bottles. It is recommend festival goers bring their own water bottles to refill (500ml or less).

A Challenge 25 Policy will be in operation and you may be asked for ID to verify your age when purchasing alcohol.

ID accepted is a valid passport; a valid EU photo card driving licence; or a photographic ID card with the National Proof of Age Standards Scheme – PASS - hologram.

p079jxlm.thumb.jpg.85cdb903f8f1e113fd4f0e74afb8a2f3.jpgp079jxp4.thumb.jpg.06622f055d5c6e37125ad69e2732d7fb.jpg