Carlsberg Tuborg will not be at Glastonbury 2019

glasto-worker

A few years ago now we had the trackways boys come into the village pub. They were happy drinking their carlsberg pissy lager. The landlord had a barrel of cheddar valley cider left over from a wedding and was selling it off at £1 a pint. When the boys saw the locals drinking this fanta coloured drink they wanted to know what it was. We explained and they all wanted to try some. Of course it went down very well and they started caning it. We did try to warn them that it is dangerous stuff but they were having none of it.

They were later found outside the pub at midnight playing the " I've got a pineapple on my head" game ( that's a whole other post) and singing loudly. 

The next day they were at the far end of the site away from any long drops. Apparently it was carnage. Blokes running into bushes all over the place.

They did come back to the pub but kept strictly to their lager from then on.

15 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I just looked on the website - 6% apparently. 

As it should be! Apple juice naturally ferments to about 6-6.5%*. I don't trust ciders that are far away from that strength to not be adulterated. 8% cider? Sugar has been added. 4% cider? Other crap has been added, or the brewing process has been cut short.

*Of course there are loads of exceptions to this - apple varieties do vary in sugar content, but 6-6.5 is still an indicator that you're more likely to be drinking a more natural cider.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

As it should be! Apple juice naturally ferments to about 6-6.5%*. I don't trust ciders that are far away from that strength to not be adulterated. 8% cider? Sugar has been added. 4% cider? Other crap has been added, or the brewing process has been cut short

Oh, good info! Old Rosie is a bit above that I think - too much sugar for your liking?

23 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

The next day they were at the far end of the site away from any long drops. Apparently it was carnage. Blokes running into bushes all over the place.

Gross! I really have never noticed the laxative effects, and I love scrumpy!

Just googled cheddar valley to check the %, and it's only 6. I always get a bit confused with the percentages. Henry Weston's claims to be over 8%, which is a fair bit stronger than Old Rosie, yet seems to get me less drunk. I have even less idea how the %s affect calls of nature!

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Oh, good info! Old Rosie is a bit above that I think - too much sugar for your liking?

I don't know too much about the production of Old Rosie - for a mainstream brand it's certainly on the way to a real scrumpy, but drinking it does remind me of Refreshers a bit, it really does seem like a load of sugar has been added and quite a lot hasn't fermented either.

I keep talking as if I actually know what I'm talking about. I don't really! I just really like cider and get quite enthusiastic about it and carried away with stuff I've vaguely heard about and guessed.

But if you start looking around at the % of cider you will start to see that 6% is something of a magic number.

Having said all that, here is my purchase today, which I expect to enjoy.

20190519_125308.jpg

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

But if you start looking around at the % of cider you will start to see that 6% is something of a magic number

20190519_125308.jpg

Ooh that looks tasty! Is that for now or for Glasto?

I love cider too (preferably scrumpy, will take the fizzy stuff if there's nowt else) but I always just go for the strongest one usually - as I am an idiot/not very classy/lacking in knowledge about cider. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this now. Sounds legit already though as Wyld Wood is absolutely divine and I'm pretty sure that's 6% 

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Ooh that looks tasty! Is that for now or for Glasto?

I love cider too (preferably scrumpy, will take the fizzy stuff if there's nowt else) but I always just go for the strongest one usually - as I am an idiot/not very classy/lacking in knowledge about cider. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this now. Sounds legit already though as Wyld Wood is absolutely divine and I'm pretty sure that's 6% 

Sometime in the next hour!

Yeah, Wyld Wood is pretty good. If you like that, you'll probably also enjoy Black Fox, which is 7% - close enough to the magic 6.5 for me ?LN_002539_BP_11.jpg

I also expect to enjoy this more, although I've never tried any from Nottinghamshire before.

15582675701615170585860319638688.jpg

2 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

What's the reason why they always use Danish lager? Not that I have an issue with it, just curious... 

Don't think that Danish has anything to do with it. It'll just be that Carlsberg Group have offered the best deal. Both Carlsberg and Tuborg are brands of theirs, so what they supply will be their decision (presumably within agreed limits) - in 2017 it was Carlsberg, for quite a few years prior to that it was Tuborg. They also own the UK rights to San Miguel and supply it as a "premium" option at about a third of the bars.

Before that, it was Budweiser (the shitty American version, not the decent Czech one) and I think Heineken also had the rights at one point.

I’m currently posting from the loo after trying that Wyld Wood still cider I bought from Tescos yesterday to trial it for the festival after someone on here somewhere recommended it. 

Never again.

(Drinking the entire 3L box didn’t help, mind)

Edit: just done a search and - ironically / appropriately - it was @actionstationswho recommended it!

Edited by Woffy

38 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I’m currently posting from the loo after trying that Wyld Wood still cider I bought from Tescos yesterday to trial it for the festival after someone on here somewhere recommended it. 

Never again.

(Drinking the entire 3L box didn’t help, mind)

Edit: just done a search and - ironically / appropriately - it was @actionstationswho recommended it!

I am shocked by this. Wyld Wood cider is immense! I always have a bag of it in my rucksack at Glastonbury

Maybe I just have a weird scrumpy-resistant stomach

6 hours ago, phillyfaddle said:

Burrow Hill is lovely. I always go for the medium. 

It’s a lovely cider. I recommend that you try a half and half mix of dry and medium.  I find the dry really hard work but mixed in with medium it’s fantastic.  Bar will happily mix any combination for you. Last time I was talking to a local who had his own 75/25 mix ?

• Upvote 1

Dry cider is a perfect first drink. Cuts through the previous day/nights tincture residue in the mouth and the aftertaste of that mornings bacon/vegan sausage butty.  Multipurpose mouthwash, pick me up, hangover cure......it makes perfect sense ?

• Upvote 1