Carlsberg Tuborg will not be at Glastonbury 2019

glasto-worker

7 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Ha no I can’t stand the stuff. It’s more to help out those people who drink it and find out the effect on their arse after a few pints. Not pretty.

? 

Ok, definitely some mixed reviews coming through about the Burrow Hill!!!

Surely it can't be any worse for you, urm, toilet visits, than any other cider...? My 20L of Old Rosie must give it a run for its money (no pun intended)

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

- up to now there has not been much demand for low-alcohol or alcohol-free so I would doubt it but there is many other bar Operators { some of the smaller bars } so you never know.

It's changing though. I know a festival bar is different to a normal bar but in 5/6 years we've gone from half a case of Becks Blue going out of date, to selling a decent amount of Nanny State. It's no where near our best seller obviously but it does alright

55 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's for "experienced" cider drinkers. In other words, don't go straight for the dry. Presumably, it will just be the medium cider at the WBC bars.

Personally, I'm utterly delighted. It's real, proper scrumpy cider, and as such is not to everyone's taste, but I bloody love the stuff and expect to be buying it more than any other pint.

Aaaah ok, just saw this post. Sound perfect!

WBC bars? Does that mean all the normal bars...? I'm actually almost happier that they'll have this available as well as another type, rather than just Thatchers 

Does the new Carlsberg actually taste any good or is it just the same old toilet water with a fancy new name? I usually just drink rum, tequila and gin at festivals (apart from 2017 when I brought 20 cans of grapefruit IPAs along with my usual spirits, wasn't worth the lugging from the car, and I ended up getting too drunk every fucking day), but at Green Man I do enjoy a refreshing pint of lager maybe once a day, be nice to have that at Glastonbury but thus far I've not drank a drop of the Tuborg. If the new Carlsberg is even merely passable then I reckon I'd enjoy a couple of them.

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Does the new Carlsberg actually taste any good or is it just the same old toilet water with a fancy new name? I usually just drink rum, tequila and gin at festivals (apart from 2017 when I brought 20 cans of grapefruit IPAs along with my usual spirits, wasn't worth the lugging from the car, and I ended up getting too drunk every fucking day), but at Green Man I do enjoy a refreshing pint of lager maybe once a day, be nice to have that at Glastonbury but thus far I've not drank a drop of the Tuborg. If the new Carlsberg is even merely passable then I reckon I'd enjoy a couple of them.

The Beat Hotel sell San Miguel, that’s at least vaguely drinkable.

Burrow hill at the normal bars is very good news to me! I liked Thatchers but was worried about it being replaced by a new cider, so this helps a lot! 

Also liking the clever Carlsberg ad campaign  where they admit their beer tasted horrible and said they'd changed their recipe. Not tried the new one yet but will give it a go next month! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello glasto-worker,

Is there a contingency plan in place if the new system doesn't work as anticipated?

well if I was in charge and it does screw up then this so called EPOS expert will be dragged out his tent and made to bloody fix it.

I have only seen one system that worked amazingly well but that was at London Stadium {The Stadium at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park} and must have cost a fortune but with pints costing from £6.40 to over £8 they can afford a fancy system.

I have seen various systems where they claim its the Dogs Bollocks but when it was put under test at various events it just could not cope under the pressure so I want to see the system in action before I make my mind up.

The Burrows Hill isn't a change - it's been in WBC bars since at least 2005. It's not normally served chilled so it sits on the table behind the servers in 40-pint brown plastic barrels , and the servers have to pour them individually rather than being supplied via the multi dispenser machines.

As already mentioned, it's the same stuff you get from the Cider Bus, and (if you appreciate good cider) is vastly superior to the Magners/Thatchers/Whatever. We probably sell about one pint of Burrows Hill for every fifty pints of fizzy rubbish though.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

?

Ok, definitely some mixed reviews coming through about the Burrow Hill!!!

Surely it can't be any worse for you, urm, toilet visits, than any other cider...? My 20L of Old Rosie must give it a run for its money (no pun intended)

I may be wrong here, but I think scrumpy contains more pectin than mass-produced cider and that's what contributes to the somewhat laxative effect.

4 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

The Burrows Hill isn't a change - it's been in WBC bars since at least 2005. It's not normally served chilled so it sits on the table behind the servers in 40-pint brown plastic barrels , and the servers have to pour them individually rather than being supplied via the multi dispenser machines.

As already mentioned, it's the same stuff you get from the Cider Bus, and (if you appreciate good cider) is vastly superior to the Magners/Thatchers/Whatever. We probably sell about one pint of Burrows Hill for every fifty points of fizzy rubbish though.

I had no idea it was there at all the bars! Always end up complaining about the fizzy shit after a bit (although Thatcher's preferable to fookin' strongbow).

Sign me up. Pectin or no pectin

28 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I had no idea it was there at all the bars! Always end up complaining about the fizzy shit after a bit (although Thatcher's preferable to fookin' strongbow).

Sign me up. Pectin or no pectin

Yeah this is news to me.

Can't say I've ever really noticed a laxative effect but better out than in at a festival tbh. Makes room for the next round!

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's for "experienced" cider drinkers. In other words, don't go straight for the dry. Presumably, it will just be the medium cider at the WBC bars.

Personally, I'm utterly delighted. It's real, proper scrumpy cider, and as such is not to everyone's taste, but I bloody love the stuff and expect to be buying it more than any other pint.

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Oh, great news!

It sounds from the OP @Glastoworker2017 that both that and mallets will be available in most bars.....or will the BH just be in certain locations?

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Aaaah ok, just saw this post. Sound perfect!

WBC bars? Does that mean all the normal bars...? I'm actually almost happier that they'll have this available as well as another type, rather than just Thatchers 

{1} - I don't drink Cider 

{2} - Burrow Hill Cider has been on sale in WBC Bars for a good 25 or so years at various festivals and events and there has always been a high demand for it.

But due to various Cider contracts ' some years it was not possible to sell it at Glastonbury ' but this year there is no cider restrictions. 

although it does have a flaw - it comes in small plastic barrels and that takes up a huge amount of space { the full and empty ones } and because of GFL restrictions the bars cant be restocked when the bar is open so its very common for the bars to run out in the late evening.The Bar staff will direct you to another bar if that is the case.

although if a person has been drinking  Burrow Hill all day # its highly likely they will be out for the count long before late evening. #

just to be very clear Burrow Hill Cider will be on sale at most WBC large Bars but due to lack of space its unlikely they will be in the smaller WBC Bars.

The trick is to look up at the price list - if its listed they sell it.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

In which case, I expect to meet you in the Theatre bar again, where you won’t remember who I am. 

In fact if I remember correctly, you’ll struggle to remember who you are as well. ? ?

1 hour ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

As already mentioned, it's the same stuff you get from the Cider Bus, and (if you appreciate good cider) is vastly superior to the Magners/Thatchers/Whatever. We probably sell about one pint of Burrows Hill for every fifty pints of fizzy rubbish though.

How the blooming heck have I missed this? I think I have a mental block with the name and thought it was bitter or something.

I'm going to mend my ways and remember it's there. I used to go right out of my way to get some 'cider bus cider', instead of that Burrow Hill stuff, whatever that was!

2 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Ha no I can’t stand the stuff. It’s more to help out those people who drink it and find out the effect on their arse after a few pints. Not pretty.

Never had this issue in the 12 Glastonburys I have been too, is it really a thing?