The 2019 T-Shirt Thread.....

BL1ND T1G3R

Think I'm missing the point big time here, but could someone please enlighten me as to why it's so unacceptable to wear a band's t-shirt at their own show? Surely it's like wearing a football shirt to a football match?

I don't have any band t-shirts mind, just a Glastonbury 2014 one which, according to the rules, I am safe to wear any day at the 2019 festival?

23 minutes ago, Display-Name said:

Think I'm missing the point big time here, but could someone please enlighten me as to why it's so unacceptable to wear a band's t-shirt at their own show? Surely it's like wearing a football shirt to a football match?

I don't have any band t-shirts mind, just a Glastonbury 2014 one which, according to the rules, I am safe to wear any day at the 2019 festival?

Exactly - it would be just like that. How is that acceptable at a gig/festival?

;)

Your 2014 Glastonbury t-shirt is entirely fine. As would be a 2019 Glastonbury t-shirt. Just not this year.

It's all very straight forward.

:)

Ben

25 minutes ago, Display-Name said:

38 minutes ago, Display-Name said:

Please don't tell us you do that.  Football shirts are for footballers and impressionable children only.  That's not a rule, that's just sartorial common sense.

FAO @bennyhana22

(the A stands for approval)

1. Shaun the Sheep

2. Finding Dory

3. Father Jack saying “feck off”

4. Bob Dylan and The Band

5. Roger Waters Us & Them tour

Numbers 1 and 2 only if neither are playing Pilton Palais or Cineramageddon

Numbers 4 and 5 only if neither play. Which would seem unlikely.

16 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

FAO @bennyhana22

1. Shaun the Sheep

2. Finding Dory

All acceptable, ToS.

However, it is important to note that 'this t-shirt rules' thing is only the tip of the iceberg.

It's not merely about when one should/should not wear a particular t-shirt. There is a whole system (wot I devised) for appraising the relative merits (or, more often, comprehensive lack thereof) of individual shirts. It's a curse obsessively to care so much about these minutiae, so don't judge me...

Ben

On 5/18/2019 at 5:24 PM, BluePaul said:

1. One should NEVER wear a band t-shirt at a gig where that band is playing. And one should never, EVER, buy a t-shirt at a gig and then wear that t-shirt over the shirt you came to the gig in.

I've never understood this, why is it such a big deal? Comes across as very gatekeeping-y

I'm digging out the Fraggle rock  on tour t shirt 1986 - compete with tour dates on the revers - oh no hang on , firslty its lilac and secondly it has 'dates on the back' - but unacceptable in the t shirt acceptability scale --- ok back to the non band t shirt pile !

Edit - Oh just remembered I have a black (tick) , james tshirt (tick theyre not going to be there) that is a picutre of the world with 'everyone belongs here' and I'm not sure if even mentions the band (it may on the sleeve) - ooo how exciting I have a t shirt that vaguley matches the rules !:ph34r:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Edit - Oh just remembered I have a black (tick) , james tshirt (tick theyre not going to be there) that is a picutre of the world with 'everyone belongs here' and I'm not sure if even mentions the band (it may on the sleeve) - ooo how exciting I have a t shirt that vaguley matches the rules !:ph34r:

Imagine going to see James and not seeing at least 50 daisy t-shirts!

Will decide nearer the time, but my Rolling Stones Glasto welly tshirt is pretty much a cert to be packed as is the Specials "We sell hope" tshirt. 

Just bought a long sleeved and short sleeved Lizzo top so no matter what the weather I can break the rules on Saturday
https://www.redbubble.com/people/ferkann/works/37970160-lizzo?p=t-shirt&style=raglan&rbs=2e6f83b9-0fd1-4b38-b444-3bdeae1fd6d8&ref=available_products_swiper

https://www.redbubble.com/people/jomosesart/works/38493755-lizzo-feminist-randb-music-icon-coachella-performance-design?cat_context=u-tees&grid_pos=54&p=mens-graphic-t-shirt&rbs=2e6f83b9-0fd1-4b38-b444-3bdeae1fd6d8&ref=shop_grid&searchTerm=lizzo t-shirts

And I've just bought a sound activated tshirt:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07535KD3M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AA8IEI4R7I3C7&psc=1

So suppose I've only got two spots left to fill now

50 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

FAO @bennyhana22

1. Shaun the Sheep

2. Finding Dory

Number 4 any time!

31 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

lol theres absolutely nothing wrong with wearing the t shirt of the band your going to see, CMV. Anyone saying their is is just being pretentious as fuck. gate keeping really isn't cool. 

I'm not sure you've quite picked up the tongue in cheek element of this thread, @Xeph1995...

This thread happens every year and (like so many of the recurrent eFests threads...) is barely distinguishable from year to year!

Relax, old chum.

Ben

49 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I'm digging out the Fraggle rock  on tour t shirt 1986 - compete with tour dates on the revers - oh no hang on , firslty its lilac and secondly it has 'dates on the back' - but unacceptable in the t shirt acceptability scale --- ok back to the non band t shirt pile !

really don't like tour dates on t-shirts...

...but ALL is forgiven if you're rocking a Fraggles t-shirt, FF.

Wednesday at the meet, please...!

Ben

2 hours ago, Jah_Roots said:

weirdly the only exception i ever discovered for this rule was following New Model Army - at NMA shows you HAD to wear an NMA shirt!

Known as Rule 7.3.1 NMA amendment. See also 7.3.1 Ferocious Dog sub clause. All of course come under general rule 7.3 The Rolling Stones Tongue clause.