Your Unkown Gems

nowyouregideon

I was only going to ask a question about something I have vague memories of seeing one year, but it got me thinking.

I'm sure we all know one of the great things about Glastonbury are the things you stumble upon as you woder around  that aren't necessarily advertised and you probably can't find again if you tried. I've got a few that spring to me mind.

The first is just a small bar, if you can call it that, in the craft area. If you pop behind the stone carving tent there is a little stand with some beats playing, selling cold cans with a table football tables and some sofas. Great place to sit down out of the shade for a few minutes and enjoy a cold one for under a fiver. We often use it as a detour to top up our supply for the day if we don't want to bother with queueing for a bar. We found it the first year we went by pure mistake and then couldnt find it again for a couple of years, until I saw someone else talking about it on efestivals who then explained where it was and now it's ritual for us.

Another example I remember a few years ago seeing a big commotion up on a hill somewhere, maybe by Strummerville. Lots of noise every now and and then coming from a big crowd. I was naturally curious and just saw a couple people holding down a table with some others trying to I guess go around it in one go?

I told my lot that it can't be that hard and I'd show them how it's done after a beer in Strummerville. But by the time we were done they had gone. Anyone know anything about this? Is it done every year? Is it as easy as it looks?

Anyone else on here have any similar experiences?

Edited by nowyouregideon
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, nowyouregideon said:

Another example I remember a few years ago seeing a big commotion up on a hill somewhere, maybe by Strummerville. Lots of noise every now and and then coming from a big crowd. I was naturally curious and just saw a couple people holding down a table with some others trying to I guess go around it in one go?

My mate who's a gym machine done this in 2016, by the stone circle.  Two guys were just walking around with a table trying to get people to have a go. Very funny to watch but I knew I'd have no chance!

4 hours ago, stuie said:

My mate who's a gym machine done this in 2016, by the stone circle.  Two guys were just walking around with a table trying to get people to have a go. Very funny to watch but I knew I'd have no chance!

Maybe it was up a stone circle actually. Hope I can track them down this year, I've got a two year long bet to prove.

I'm pretty confident that in 08 or 09 (my first two festivals) I crawled through a tunnel on the ground in an assault course sort of style into a decent sized tent and inside there was a bit of a disco going on but it was for men with beards only so I had to leave. 

This may be entirely fabricated in my mind though. 

Being encouraged to lick a live electric toaster through a window in a pallet type shack possibly in the SE corner. 

Tiny tIpi cafe selling Tibetan soup somewhere in Green fields?

An upstairs Christian cafe cafe near Acoustic tent?

A small campsite lit entirely by paper floor candle lanterns near Stone Circle?

Meeting a bar manager called one armed Bob(?) with only one arm. Maybe Circus Field?

Taking my guitar to an evening Elbow Flash Mob at the Stone Circle and still playing Elbow songs 7 hours later in Avalon when my mates found me with blood pouring from my fingernails. 

Numerous pram discos on the railway track.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Titters said:

We stumbled on a cycle-powered rave up near stone circle. 

As the pedalling slowed, so did the beats, and the dancing... Till folks booed and someone else took over to bring the rave back up to speed. 

That sounds excellent. Just a one off one year?

Just now, nowyouregideon said:

That sounds excellent. Just a one off one year?

think it was 2008 - and on the Wednesday. 

It way well have been there every year since, or never seen again... I'm sure someone else around here will have seen it if it's a regular fixture. 

7 hours ago, nowyouregideon said:

I was only going to ask a question about something I have vague memories of seeing one year, but it got me thinking.

I'm sure we all know one of the great things about Glastonbury are the things you stumble upon as you woder around  that aren't necessarily advertised and you probably can't find again if you tried. I've got a few that spring to me mind.

The first is just a small bar, if you can call it that, in the craft area. If you pop behind the stone carving tent there is a little stand with some beats playing, selling cold cans with a table football tables and some sofas. Great place to sit down out of the shade for a few minutes and enjoy a cold one for under a fiver. We often use it as a detour to top up our supply for the day if we don't want to bother with queueing for a bar. We found it the first year we went by pure mistake and then couldnt find it again for a couple of years, until I saw someone else talking about it on efestivals who then explained where it was and now it's ritual for us.

I told my lot that it can't be that hard and I'd show them how it's done after a beer in Strummerville. But by the time we were done they had gone. Anyone know anything about this? Is it done every year? Is it as easy as it looks?

Anyone else on here have any similar experiences?

Please explain the table thing! How do you ‘go around the table in one go’?

5 minutes ago, ledwards said:

Please explain the table thing! How do you ‘go around the table in one go’?

You kind of lay in the top, and then loop round underneath, between the legs and them back on the other side? Without touching the floor? I mean, looking back that's not as easy as it looks ?

Edited by nowyouregideon
  • Upvote 1

I think 2010. Boiling hot. Sought shelter in a tent in the Greenfields mid-afternoon on Friday. A few moments later people start arriving because there's a singing workshop starting at 3pm. I decide to stay, it might be fun. It's two hours of amazing, uplifting, moving incredibleness. 'Come back tomorrow, if you can', they said. Most of us did. We practiced for two hours, and at 5pm on the Saturday afternoon the Greenfields Choir performed in a small tent. So I can say, with some honour, that I have played Glastonbury.

• Upvote 3

Being backstage with friends one year and watching Jarvis Cocker doing a cover version of Whigfield's Saturday Night at a karaoke bus.

The following day I was sat in my mates tent when Keith Allen was walking past and popped his head in to say hello. I offered Keith a 'livener' as we were currently enjoying one ourselves when he came out with the immortal line, "I'd fucking love one but I cant because I've gotta look after my fucking kids!". I hope Lilly realises the sacrifices her dad has made for her....

Edited by rumpola
  • Upvote 1

In 2010, I'm guessing SE corner somewhere at silly o'clock, we saw a queue of about half a dozen people outside a Marquee with a couple of blokes holding the corner flap closed and every couple of minutes saying 'room for 2 more' and letting someone in.

We though fuck it, and queued up for about 5 minutes to see what all the fuss was about, when we got in it was completely empty with a gap at the other side that just took you back out round the corner from where you started.

The queue started getting bigger and bigger, and not one person who went in there spoilt it for the people queuing up.

I don't know if they was just a couple of punters having a laugh or what, but it was genius and it wasn't until you had gone through it you noticed how many people were sitting around just pissing themselves at everyone queuing up.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

Being encouraged to lick a live electric toaster through a window in a pallet type shack possibly in the SE corner. 

Tiny tIpi cafe selling Tibetan soup somewhere in Green fields?

An upstairs Christian cafe cafe near Acoustic tent?

A small campsite lit entirely by paper floor candle lanterns near Stone Circle?

Meeting a bar manager called one armed Bob(?) with only one arm. Maybe Circus Field?

Taking my guitar to an evening Elbow Flash Mob at the Stone Circle and still playing Elbow songs 7 hours later in Avalon when my mates found me with blood pouring from my fingernails. 

Numerous pram discos on the railway track.  

Was the Christian cafe place The Common Ground cafe? They were at festivals all over during the late 90s. They did great food, but I was always quite put off by the proper old school gender roles... 

Turned out with good reason, they disappeared after a few years

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwicj6bVs6PiAhVMxYUKHdQ-D-wQzPwBegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fuk%2F2000%2Fjul%2F03%2Frace.religion&psig=AOvVaw1oEJ7Z6P7-KOsw5_92e8SD&ust=1558211324873322

1 hour ago, kazbop said:

Was the Christian cafe place The Common Ground cafe? They were at festivals all over during the late 90s. They did great food, but I was always quite put off by the proper old school gender roles... 

Turned out with good reason, they disappeared after a few years

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwicj6bVs6PiAhVMxYUKHdQ-D-wQzPwBegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fuk%2F2000%2Fjul%2F03%2Frace.religion&psig=AOvVaw1oEJ7Z6P7-KOsw5_92e8SD&ust=1558211324873322

Blimey I think it was definitely them. Urgh. 

I just remembered it was a nice building with nice cakes and nice cups of tea with a slight religious undertone that I just ignored. I made a plan to return but never actually did.