What are your Top 5 Glasto sets/gigs?

oldmagsy83

10 hours ago, fuzzy_logic said:

Off the top of my head (I haven't been since 2000) :

Super Furry Animals 1999

That was mental. Notoriously, a fella drove his van through the middle of the crowd (on The Other) towards the stage. Once it stopped, naturally people decided to get onto the roof to throw some shapes, much to the driver’s annoyance.

I'm sorry but this is impossible. So much to choose from. Just thinking headliners I can't pick a fave five.

My mind keeps changing.

I'm a million different people from one day to the next (when it comes to these types of questions (fave lyrics, fave bands, fave drummers/guitarists/frontmen etc. It's not like football teams where you're only really allowed to pick one and have to stick with it, is it?)).

The Verve wouldn't make it (but that run of singles at the end was blinding).

Macca (I've never been so wrong about anything. Ever. Hope the 2020 rumours are true).

Neil Young (always loved Live Rust. The great live double album. Acoustic disc and electric disc, We pretty much got that).

Portishead (Acoustic '95 (legendary for lots of reasons).

Chic (Headlining West Holts that year. What a clash that was. Them v Portishead v Arctic Monkeys. Had already seen the other two so Chic won. If I'd known they'd be back later in the Sunday Disco Slot following Barry Gibb I would have chosen Portishead again).

Arctic Monkeys (Debut year).

Ask me again in five minutes and you'll get a different answer.

Hang on, I left out two Muses, the last Coldplay set changed my mind about them, various Billy Bragg and Steve Hillage sets, Cabaret tent moments, legends like Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey and Burt Bacharach and fucking Blondie who I never thought I would ever get to see (or ever be able to afford to see).

I'd find a Top 5 Years difficult I think.

Blur 2009 pyramid - is way out on its own for me as my favourite thing ever. Completely blew me away. Was thinking about it constantly for weeks. Makes it so much more special when you can see what it means to those on stage and that was reflected in those in the crowd. 

Madness 2016 pyramid - just one of those unexpectedly brilliant experiences that come together unplanned. 

Chems 2015 other - was just the perfect finale to an unbelievable day and festival. 

Ray Davies 2009 acoustic - amazing. I was in bad shape and spent most of it sat leaning against one of the big tent pegs, chicken soup for the soul. 

JayZ 2008 pyramid - my first festival and first pyramid headliner.

8 hours ago, henry bear said:

That was mental. Notoriously, a fella drove his van through the middle of the crowd (on The Other) towards the stage. Once it stopped, naturally people decided to get onto the roof to throw some shapes, much to the driver’s annoyance

Indeed, at the time I thought it was part of the gig but the drivers face and behaviour made it obvious it wasn't ?

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I can't sort them, so in no particular order

Battles, The Park, 2008

Radiohead, Pyramid, 2017

Kate Tempest, W Holts, 2017

Primal Scream, Dance Tent, 1997

LCD Soundsystem, Other Stage, 2016

Honourable mentions to:

Bjork, Other Stage, 2007

Africa Express, The Park, 2007

The xx, Pyramid, 2017

Bat For Lashes, John Peel, 2016

Underworld, W Holts, 2016

John Grant, The Park, 2014

Arcade Fire, Other/Pyramid, 2007/2014

Orbital, Other, 2004

Fun Lovin Criminals, Pyramid, 1999

Blur, Pyramid, 1998

Dizzee Rascal, The Park, 2008

Gorillaz, Pyramid, 2010

Edit: Brian Wilson, Pyramid, 2005

Blondie, Pyramid, 1999

Bjorn Again, Pyramid, 2009

Elbow, Pyramid, 2014

Best single performance was Battles, best run was Kate Tempest/The XX/Radiohead. 

What a brilliant festival.

STOP THE PRESS!

I forgot Chas'n'Dave in Acoustic, 2004.

Sorry Primal Scream, you're an honourable mention now.

Sigur Ros headlining the John peel (2016?) was absolutely magic

A couple of brilliant park ‘secret’ sets, pulp in 2011 and thom Yorke/Jonny Greenwood in 2010 - the karma police singalong was one of my best Glastonbury moments 

Fat white family being an appropriately chaotic alternative to Lionel Ritchie in 2015

Finally the stones. I was actually not enjoying this at all, and about 45 mins in I was considering leaving to go and see public enemy. In the end stuck around, and  the last about an hour was unbelievable, “Miss you” was the turning point and from then on it was hit after hit and was amazing

Missed off Chic in 2017 which was probably about as much fun as someone can possibly have, but there we go

A great question, but too hard !

Nile Rodgers/Chic West Holts 2013, right at the front. Disco Heaven.

Stones, what a sense of anticipation and buzz around as the crowds gathered. Never been in such a massive crowd. 

Black Keys 2014

New Order 2016 Other Stage

and.. for sheer unexpected fun, Bruce Forsyth Avalon, 2013. Such a lovely entertainer and met with great affection from the crowd. He loved it as much as we did.

Ok in no particular order

1) Blur 2009

My first ever Glastonbury and one of the best performances I've ever seen. I'd had a pretty tough year, my first proper girlfriend broke up with me and I was devastated. The set hit me like a freight train, pure authentic emotion. First time I'd ever cried at a gig.

2) Arcade Fire - 2014

Criminally underrated set imo. They smashed it. The album was a mixed bag, but the live show and production was fantastic. A significant step up from earls court a month previously.

3) Hot Chip - 2015

A pure fucking party. West Holts was bouncing.

4) Rolling Stones - 2013

Whilst technically not a brilliant performance and the sound being shite at the start they somehow pulled it off. I did get overly pissed and blackout the middle of the set, but it meant wall to wall bangers for me ?

5) Radiohead - 2017

Masterful. Shut up and played the hits.

23 hours ago, hamzo said:

1. Blur (2009)

2. 'Radio-half' (2010)

3. Beyonce (2011)

4. LCD Soundsystem (2016)

5. Jay-Z (2008)

I’ve had a think and this isn’t too far off mine.

Swap Beyoncé with LCD then another for Jay-Z as I wasn’t there. 

Either The National in 2010 or Jagwar Ma on the Park for number 5. 

• Upvote 1

No particular order.

Neil Young, been a big fan for years and to see him on the pyramid knocking it out of the Park was amazing.

Radiohead 2017. Love the band and OK computer was the first album I really got into so was a perfect year for them to play for me.

John Grant, Park stage, 10 or 11. Love queen of Denmark so to hear John with just a piano and his laptop was brilliant

The Zombies, Avalon, 15. Out of all the bands I saw that year they were the most enthusiastic to be playing Glastonbury and the crowd could tell, great atmosphere.

Primal Scream doing screamadelica, other stage. Was chucking it down, my mates went to see U2 but Wasn’t missing the chance to see possibly my favourite album played. I was right at the front, dead centre and loved every second of it. 

That’s Zombies gig was class. I’m a massive fan of Odessey and Oracle. I went with my missis who’s called Emily (I’m ashamed to say I can’t remember if they played a Rose for Emily) and it was nice to have some alone time in a quieter area of the festival especially at that time. Also had a right good drink in the wooden pub before it, what’s that called?