What are your Top 5 Glasto sets/gigs?

oldmagsy83

No particular order just remember having a great time at all of these...

2017 - The Jacksons

2017 - Radiohead

2000 - Basement Jaxx - front row and got a t-shirt from one of the guys when they threw it into the crowd. Bliming missed Bowie for that tho

2016 - Craig David - literally went for the "I'm seeing Craig David at Glasto", had the best time and was surprised by how many lyrics I actually knew.

1999 - Dogstar - we went for the whole Keanu Reeves just made the best film ever at the time (Matrix) and it now playing bass at Glastonbury. We then proceeded to laugh as he did well to dodge most of the fruit thrown at him.

Top sets in no particular order I wish I’d have seen. Dates may be wrong!

Stevie Wonder 10

Jay Z 08

Arthur Lee (and/with?) Love 03

Bowie 2000 

Stevie Wonder 2010

Orbital 1994

Radiohead 97

whatever year Isaac Hayes played Jazz World. I watched it on the tele with my soul and only soul loving parents. I asked them open mouthed what it was and they said Glastonbury I had wanted to go ever since then. 

George Clinton and the Family Stone 15 - biggest heartbreaker of my life having grown up with Yeezy since College Dropout and being a massive, massive fan of Funkadelic/P Funk and Sly and the Family Stone. How good was it people that were there?

2 hours ago, Robofish said:

I feel I must return the sentiment. I missed all of these and would have loved them. Glad to have seen Chic in 2017 though.

We are each other's alternates! 

I enjoyed them in 2017 too, but the West Holts atmosphere in 2013 was something else. With my late best friend too. Happy times. 

You saw Bowie, though, so... 

29 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

George Clinton and the Family Stone 15 - biggest heartbreaker of my life having grown up with Yeezy since College Dropout and being a massive, massive fan of Funkadelic/P Funk and Sly and the Family Stone. How good was it people that were there?

I know this won't help you much, but it was fucking great :) 

Brian Wilson in 05 was the first gig that ever made my cry, so I always just go with that as #1.

Not sure i can really pick the bones out of the rest of it as the more current stuff naturally jumps to the front of the queue (though I am prepared to accept that the Boo Radleys in 95 probably weren't all that).

chronologically... 

Radiohead 2003 (w/ REM the night before)

McCartney 2004 

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band 2009 

Rolling Stones 2013

Portishead 2013 (Nick Cave could have made this list too, from that year) 

Edited by tevaburger

1) The Steve Hillage band 1979  - headlining main stage!

2)  Hawkwind 1981  - headlining first Pyramid stage

3)  System 7 2000  - Steve Hillage again headlining the first ever Glade stage

4) David Bowie 2000

5) Coldplay 2017

Portishead '13 - Great way to bring the first night of a festival to a close, set the standard for a great year.

REM '99 - As above, the enthusiasm of the band for being there was palpable and it was a great crowd.

Stones '13 - I'd joked about them being old men on stage for 30 years, they still blew me away.

RTJ '15 - Just perfect really, great crowd that was well up for it.

Coldplay '16 - After a damp, muddy festival who would have thought that the musical equivalent of the colour beige could brighten my life so much?  I left the festival on a massive high after this gig, which was just so positive.

I think the joy of those two sets (Orb 93 and Orbital 94) for me was the context, they were bands at the absolute peak of their powers and the feeling from seeing them headline the Other stage on two consecutive years, it was ours, like it was something the old guard didn’t get, that there was a communal glee in experiencing it, it felt like it had no right to be there and yet, simultaneously every right to be there. It was no comfortable nostalgia, no ‘orbital as the house band’ schtick, it mattered to be there, that lines were being drawn and you were part of something that was redefining the parameters, and redefining Glastonbury. Those two nights were the nights Glastonbury was reborn. 

• Upvote 3

Iggy & The Stooges 2007

Gong 2010

Portishead 2013

Son of Dave (just because he nailed it acoustic the year the power failed) 2014

Duane Eddy 2011. Was walkng to Circus field, he was on, thought I'd watch a bit, got a bit  bored, started to walk away & the below started, I was hooked and never moved more that 2 yards till he finished. Magic moment. 

In reverse order. 

Jon Hopkins, Arcadia, 2017. "Just" a DJ set but in a perfect spot and in exactly right mood for an impeccable set. 

Hot Chip, West Holts, 2015. A massive party. One I didn't think could be topped... 

Justice, West Holts, 2017. A massiver party. With all my friends. 

Chemical Brothers, Other, 2007. A banging set to end the physical endurance event. Splashing around in ankle deep mud while the rain continued to tip down - joy. 

Faithless, Pyramid, 2002. Probably biased with it being my first really big set at the festival, but being part of a huge crowd with, seemingly, everyone being there to enjoy themselves really has stuck in my mind. Still get shivers when I think about that set. I encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to check out We Come One from 2002 on YT. 

Honourable mentions - 

!!!,  Dance East (or West), 2007 - knowing nothing about them going in, buying all their albums the following week. 

Elbow, Pyramid, 2011 - for making me an emotional wreck (it had been a long year). 

Doves, JPT, 2009 - smashed it out of the tent. 

Groove Armada, Other, 2008. Low expectations, proven very wrong. 

1. LCD Soundsystem (Other 2016)

Made traipsing through the mud for 5 days worth it

2. Justice (West Holts 2017)

Capped off 5 days of the best weather and reaffirmed just how good a sunny festival can be

3. Chemical Brothers (Other 2011)

I'm a Chems fanboy anyway but this was just insane

4. Underworld (West Holts 2016)

Absolutely brilliant performance from Karl and Rick

5. Plump DJs (Arcadia 2013)

Despite the ridiculous placing of the Spider this year, this set was a brilliant