What are your Top 5 Glasto sets/gigs?

oldmagsy83

Oh my - ask me in an hour and it would be a completely different list, but off the top of my head:

Pulp - The Park - 2011.  Right down the front and on it.  Peerless.

The Hives - Other - 2013.  SOMEONE GET ME A FOKKING LADDER!

Nile Rodgers/Chic - West Holts - 2013.  Sheer disco perfection.

The Hold Steady - John Peel - 2007.  I was cold, wet and dispirited and they brought me back to my senses.

The Gaslight Anthem - John Peel - 2011.  With Bruce Springsteen on rhythm guitar.

1 hour ago, Robofish said:

Top of my head...

1. Radiohead 1997

2. REM 2003

3. David Bowie 2000

4. PJ Harvey 2016

5. New Order 1987

EXTREMELY jealous of this one. All of them.

Mine are:

1. Nick Cave 2013

2. Rolling Stones 2013

3. Blur 2009

4. Chic 2013

5. Leonard Cohen 2008

2013 was a stellar year! There are loads more I could mention though: Hot Chip, George Clinton, Orbital for starters...

Oh and Radiohead, Pulp, Beyonce, Patti Smith...

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

1. The Who - Pyramid 2015

2. Ray Davies - Pyramid 2010

3 combo of seeing Years & Years in JP immediately followed by Zombies in Avalon. Both good gigs in their own right but fact I could experience 2 totally different bands with 2 totally different crowds appreciating the music in a totally different way sums up what's great about glasto for me

4. Frightened rabbit - other 2010

5 Passion pit JP 2009

Honourable mentions to Muse, idiotape, Bruce Springsteen, Slash, the Specials, Ezra Furman. Could go on for ever so many great glasto memories.

Edited by found home in 2009

Neil Young - 2009.  My first headliner - couldn't believe how easy it was to get close.

Blur - 2009.  Emotional both on and off stage (also surreal moment dancing with the characters from coffee and TV video who were in the crowd- did that really happen or was it a dodgy cider?)

Aynsley Lister 2010 - 2am, Bourbon Street Bar, Purple Rain say no more.

Pulp 2011 - Park - it was just one of those Glastonbury moments when everything aligns, great set, great crowd, sun shining (after previous days deluge), nicely alight with friends.

Hives 2013 - so much energy for early in the day!

Honourable mention to Gilly (the pianist) up in Green Fields!!!

Edited by bellboy

From 2014-16, which is what I have to pick from:

Arcade Fire - my first headliner, the first time I really got the scale of the pyramid crowd, and it was a banger.

Robert Plant - never thought I would hear Led Zeppelin songs performed live. Got to do it standing in a puddle with my cousin, who I randomly found there.

tUnEyArDs - my first "discovery" at the festival, went to see Jurassic 5, and TuneYards was on before. Spent far too long trying to figure out what the sparkly eyes were flashing on the West Holt actually were.

Lionel Richie - culmination point of an epic weekend with a great bunch of mates, tired, dirty and happy, singing along in the sun. Lionel Saves.

Art Garfunkel - another one I never thought I would see live, had a bit of a cry listening to him perform old Simon and Garfunkel songs, thinking about my dad.

I've missed so many.

29 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

You made me shit myself that I missed this somehow in 2015. They played 09 I think?

Praying they're on the final list for this year.

ha ha it was a while ago, it was the last time they played there , then they split up. such an amazing set on the John Peel stage

yes it was 2009 the year Jacko died, they all blur in to one

Edited by shuttlep

This wont be a popular choice.  In no order

Everything everything Williams green

Depeche mode tribute band Williams green

U2

Pete Doherty the park 2008

The Smyths Williams green aswell I think. 

Honorable mention to wonder stuff Avalon I think 

15 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

This wont be a popular choice.  In no order

Everything everything Williams green

Depeche mode tribute band Williams green

U2

Pete Doherty the park 2008

The Smyths Williams green aswell I think. 

Honorable mention to wonder stuff Avalon I think 

Everything Everything secret set gets a honourable mention from me. What a gig. No Reptiles had me crying.

5 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

Everything Everything secret set gets a honourable mention from me. What a gig. No Reptiles had me crying.

Me and my cousin too. Glasto moment for me. Dont see him very often. It was amazing 

Foo Fighters   Pyramid   2017

Flaming Lips   Park   2017

Lady Leshurr   Park   2016

Pet Shop Boys   Other   2010 (I think)

Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott   Accoustic   2014

This is a tough one, there's so many others that are all as magical than each other but for different reasons.

1. Neil Young - Pyramid 2009 (he's still there singing "Rockin in the free world" I think...) 

2. Caribou - Park 2011 (dropping "Sun" during the horrendous downpour) 

3. Yeah yeah yeahs / Bat for Lashes b2b, Other stage 2009 (perfect scheduling for me) 

4. Chic - Pyramid 2017 (the Most fun) 

5. Not my favourite, but most memorable was Orchestra of Syrian musicians on the Pyramid, 2016. The feeling around the site was one of shock and heartbreak, and won't forget it being preceeded by the Portishead SOS video. Genuinely felt the world change for the worse. 

44 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

EXTREMELY jealous of this one. All of them.

Mine are:

1. Nick Cave 2013

2. Rolling Stones 2013

3. Blur 2009

4. Chic 2013

5. Leonard Cohen 2008

2013 was a stellar year! There are loads more I could mention though: Hot Chip, George Clinton, Orbital for starters...

Oh and Radiohead, Pulp, Beyonce, Patti Smith...

I feel I must return the sentiment. I missed all of these and would have loved them. Glad to have seen Chic in 2017 though.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Was it? I didn't have a VIP ticket and I was at the front. I just had a normal standing ticket.

Me too just walked into front area when support where on wondered y others where behind barriers.  I only had normal standing ticket 

Chic - 2017

Ray Davies - 2010

John Grant - 2014

Kate Tempest - 2017

Radiohead - 2017 

This is today's top 5 ask me on another day and it could be totally different. Arcade Fire, Stevie Wonder, The Lounge Kittens and Hot Chip would certainly be up there as well. 

Only been to last 2 so limited choice in no real order 

James 2016 first band to see live at Glastonbury and always a fave band of mine

Coldplay 2016 im not particularly a fan but the atmosphere by us was great and it just worked for me 

Radiohead 2017 despite getting their late not having good view and screens showing arty graphics they sounded fantastic and a joy to see their. 

Aurora 2016 went not knowing what to expect and she smashed it 

Tame impala 2016 beautiful rainbow greeted a fantastic set