Pangea

tumbles

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No, don't.  Keep making Pangea better.

I agree and have no idea what they'll be doing with it this year.

Last year Pangea was very rushed (see what I did there! ) and all done last minute. This year they've had loads of time to plan and have put out a huge shout out for ideas and collaborators. I fully expect it to absolutely fantastic.

16 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I agree and have no idea what they'll be doing with it this year.

Last year Pangea was very rushed (see what I did there! ) and all done last minute. This year they've had loads of time to plan and have put out a huge shout out for ideas and collaborators. I fully expect it to absolutely fantastic.

Even so, on that first night, seeing the "snow" falling down from a massive height, with the lights and projections all over the place, it wasn't exactly shit.  I've seen the spider, it was great, but it's time for new stuff.  Bring it on.

• Upvote 2

Ever since they welcomed suggestions about how to develop Pangea, I've been wondering what could work well... 

Mirrors.

Line the crane with them, make the radome ball into a giant disco ball, bounce all kinds of lights off of them from the outer circle, let the people up close to the centre see the reflection of the masses behind them.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Ever since they welcomed suggestions about how to develop Pangea, I've been wondering what could work well... 

Mirrors.

Line the crane with them, make the radome ball into a giant disco ball, bounce all kinds of lights off of them from the outer circle, let the people up close to the centre see the reflection of the masses behind them.

The fact that they've asked questions about how to develop Pangea makes me think they're low on ideas. I'm not creative in the slightest but I can't see how the crane itself could be developed. They tried to hang that moon thing off it this year but the wind put stop to that and that might be something they'll encounter regularly given the unpredictability of June weather. Other than that it just spun around with the usual Arcadia pyro. It was a cool spectacle but lacked the awe of even version 1 of the Spider or the Afterburner. 

41 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Even so, on that first night, seeing the "snow" falling down from a massive height, with the lights and projections all over the place, it wasn't exactly shit.  I've seen the spider, it was great, but it's time for new stuff.  Bring it on.

Aye, maybe it's a bit of an eye-sore from far away in the daytime but Jesus Christ, it was immense when in amongst it!

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The fact that they've asked questions about how to develop Pangea makes me think they're low on ideas. 

Hmmmm, maybe that is true....but surely Glastonbury wouldn't have agreed to it if they had no backup plan??

7 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Hmmmm, maybe that is true....but surely Glastonbury wouldn't have agreed to it if they had no backup plan??

I'm sure they had numerous plans when they proposed it including a contingency in the event of planning permission issues. Someone above mentioned that it felt rushed and I tend to agree with that. I'm sure after a year of planning they'll come up with something incredible though, I just can't fathom what that'll be. I'll keep the faith, they always bring it in some form.

• Upvote 1

Arcadia were very open that it was the start of a new project and that it wouldn't be a finished article in 2019.  I think that for the starting year, it was pretty impressive.

I expect they will bring a full show this year and we'll all be amazed.

I think a certain amount of the negativity towards Pangea is because people loved the spider and are a bit resistant to change.

19 minutes ago, stuie said:

Arcadia were very open that it was the start of a new project and that it wouldn't be a finished article in 2019.  I think that for the starting year, it was pretty impressive.

I think a certain amount of the negativity towards Pangea is because people loved the spider and are a bit resistant to change.

I do agree that the Spider's time had come, at least at Glastonbury. It's always great to see it elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

I found Pangea quite whelming.  It didn't blow me away like the spider did from 2013 onwards but it also didn't disappoint (ok, maybe just a little).

I think the lack of a show/performance was one of the reasons for that but is understandable given the lack of time they have had to work/rehearse with the crane.  The strong winds didn't help either and because the moon used was a pre-existing work of art I'd imagine it would both be a health and safety and insurance nightmare to have up in anything less than perfect conditions.

I'm optimistic about the future of Pangea though have no idea how they are going to continue developing it, which honestly is reason enough for me to be excited

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Arcadia would be much improved if they booked better djs

I checked out the start of Black Madonna before legging it to catch the start of Stormzy, and she gave me no confidence that she's not Sam Beckett, quantum leaped into each set she DJ's, just trying to make his way home.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

How on earth can anyone say this in the middle of a bloody field in Somerset is not very good .... its the start of the next chapter.... Its gonna be immense in 10 years and I for one am looking forward to seeing it evolve :) 

Totally agree Pangea did for me in 2019 what Arcadia Spectacular/Afterburner  did for me in 2007. 

The sky is not the limit: Pip Rush talks Arcadia ambitions

Pip Rush Jansen, co-founder of performance arts collective Arcadia Spectacular, discusses the art of bringing people together – and the fate of the fire-breathing Spider

Full Article: https://www.iq-mag.net/2020/01/the-sky-is-not-the-limit-pip-rush-talks-arcadia-ambitions/

A few snippets from the article

What comes next?
The next thing is to really start taking over the sky. We flew a big moon built by Luke Jerram last year as an experiment and it was really beautiful, so we’re looking to develop the scope of that and collaborate with international artists who fly sculptures over people.

Very often, people can stand at the back of these huge stages and feel distant from what’s going on. If you can take over the space above people’s heads, you can really involve them. That’s the idea – to make an experience as inclusive, massive and yet personal as possible.

Looking to the future, it is obviously a big year as Glastonbury is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year – is there extra pressure to wow due to the big birthday?
There’s a little bit, but Glastonbury really is a hotbed for art and we feel it’s important to let artistic processes go on their own journey in their own time, so we’re not too worried.

If our team and the new people feeding into Arcadia come up with the most mind-blowing idea next year, we’ll do that. But if we need to test new things out a bit before we can make something really magic, then we’re not afraid to do that either.

Either way, there’s going to be a lot of amazing and new stuff at Glastonbury this year. It’s a festival that has really inspired people to take that time out and connect with each other again, and for me it’s no doubt the best one on the planet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...