Pangea

tumbles

Rather than a single large Moon on the end, why not hang multiple fixed planets of varying sizes of the arm of the crane at various points along it, smaller but perhaps more manageble in high winds if they are fixed with a stiff arm. Also with a fixed arm you could presumably have them rotating so that they spin as they rotate. 

Planning Application has just gone up on the Mendip website. 20.4m is the bit that is left up.

Partial erection of crane structure for a temporary period until 1st August 2023
https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/centralDistribution.do?caseType=Application&keyVal=PT8E5OKPI7900

Edited by Dukeicon
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

Planning Application has just gone up on the Mendip website. 20.4m is the bit that is left up.

Partial erection of crane structure for a temporary period until 1st August 2023
https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/centralDistribution.do?caseType=Application&keyVal=PT8E5OKPI7900

Not bothered about the specifics of the application, but for me that further confirms that the next fallow year is pencilled in for 2024.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 12:38 PM, Dukeicon said:

Application to keep part of Pangea up all year around has been refused.

Reason for Refusal

The site lies in the countryside outside any development limit where development is strictly controlled as a matter of principle in the interests of the character and appearance of the countryside and to ensure a sustainable pattern of development. The proposal by reason of its siting in the middle of a field in an open low lying agricultural landscape; excessive scale; and alien industrial design and material would result in an unacceptable visual intrusion into the countryside that is incompatible with the characteristics of, and thus degrade the quality of, the sensitive agricultural landscape it falls within. The proposal is therefore provided in a manner and of a scale inappropriate to the locality. No compelling argument for the need (including its manner and location), mitigation nor benefit of the proposal has be justified that may override the visual and landscape harm identified and the encroachment into the countryside, the principle of development is unacceptable. The proposal is therefore contrary to policies CP1, CP3 and CP4 of the Mendip District Local Plan 2006 - 2029 Part 1 Strategy and Policies (adopted December 2014); the National Planning Policy Framework 2019, particularly sections 2, 6, 12and 15; National Planning Policy Guidance 2014; and the Landscape Assessment of Mendip District (May 1997).

Full Decision Notice: https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/files/0D7FEB122965166B3A5EAA404B6629DC/pdf/2019_1505_FUL-DECISION_NOTICE-381719.pdf

29 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

Reason for Refusal

Full Decision Notice: https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/files/0D7FEB122965166B3A5EAA404B6629DC/pdf/2019_1505_FUL-DECISION_NOTICE-381719.pdf

interesting! does this just mean a bit more agg taking it all down? (im assuming they can leave the foundatons?)

41 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

Reason for Refusal

I don't live anywhere near Worthy Farm so have no vested local interest, but it seems hard to argue with that.  Pangea's incongruousness to the landscape is interesting during festival time; it's plain fucking ugliness isn't as appealing for the rest of the year, and I only have to see it if I look on the webcam.

I was amazed they kept the base up before they painted it green. It was an inarguable eyesore in the valley. Even painting it green seemed a stretch. I’m sure this will cause headaches but what were they thinking? 

Just bring back the goddamn spider for the 50th.

Edited by kalifire

Permission was sought for the crane base structure at 20.4 metres in height so not just the below ground foundations.

However, reading the officer's report it looks like the case presented for retaining the structure wasn't particularly compelling i.e.

1. Why does the structure need to stay i.e. why can it not be removed each year - does all 20.4 metres need to stay?;

2. Why does it need to be in this specific location? and

3. What benefit does in effect Pangea bring to the festival.

Quote from report -

"Whilst the crane base is proposed for use as part of the well-established Glastonbury Festival, which the Council accepts provides benefit to the local economy. The specific need for the proposed crane base has not been justified; nor has it been justified why it needs to be provided in this manner and in this sensitive location; nor how the negative impact of this development has been minimised. The crane base would serve no purpose throughout the year other than the operational period of Glastonbury Festival thus questioning its need to be fixed in the landscape as opposed to a mobile structure or one that can be dismantled and removed."

I would have thought that if the above had been fully explained that there might have been a chance of getting permission rather than appealing.

22 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I was amazed they kept the base up before they painted it green. It was an inarguable eyesore in the valley. Even painting it green seemed a stretch. I’m sure this will cause headaches but what were they thinking? 

Just bring back the goddamn spider for the 50th.

No, don't.  Keep making Pangea better.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I don't live anywhere near Worthy Farm so have no vested local interest, but it seems hard to argue with that.  Pangea's incongruousness to the landscape is interesting during festival time; it's plain fucking ugliness isn't as appealing for the rest of the year, and I only have to see it if I look on the webcam.

Can't disagree. It is essentially a big fucking crane in the middle of beautiful countryside.