Pangea

tumbles

3 hours ago, Sweet_pea said:

This definitely happened. I was there from the beginning of Dimension to the end of Andy C. I think they took it down either before or after Subfocus

It was definitely down before subfocus 

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

What high winds were these? It was pretty standard UK weather, and the thing just didn't work in it. A shame, but also smacks of pretty bad planning...

Yeah, it was a bit windy, but I can't help thinking they just didn't think it through.

Luckily, it didn't matter at all because the crane on it's own with the lighting rig attached to it was magnificent and the sound system and line-up were top-drawer this year.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, DeanoL said:

What high winds were these? It was pretty standard UK weather, and the thing just didn't work in it. A shame, but also smacks of pretty bad planning...

It was quite windy most of the festival.

i don’t think that changed much though - it would never have worked with them swinging the crane around like they were. The moon would have been flying all over the place. If the moon is back in future they will have to fix it in place properly, not swing it on the wire.

I think the wind was above 6 knots for a lot of the time and i think thats the safety measure although i may be wrong on the exact number. It was above 6 a lot of the time. Especially higher up in the site. 

1 hour ago, bigbilly said:

I think the wind was above 6 knots for a lot of the time and i think thats the safety measure although i may be wrong on the exact number. It was above 6 a lot of the time. Especially higher up in the site. 

And the average UK wind speed is like 8 knots. 
https://www.statista.com/statistics/322789/quarterly-wind-speed-average-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

I'm genuinely intrigued because this does seem like one of those "oh, we forgot to model for wind in the simulation" moments. Followed by a certain amount of fronting it out from Arcadia instead of just acknowledging they made a major cock up.

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

And the average UK wind speed is like 8 knots. 
https://www.statista.com/statistics/322789/quarterly-wind-speed-average-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

I'm genuinely intrigued because this does seem like one of those "oh, we forgot to model for wind in the simulation" moments. Followed by a certain amount of fronting it out from Arcadia instead of just acknowledging they made a major cock up.

Who knows.... my fiqures may be wrong. What i do know they are the best or one of the best  in the business when it comes to health and safety. It was too windy to do it! 

The wind is usually very slack at Glastonbury though, it's why it catches us out with the cold so badly when it does pick up. I made a super-lightweight flag ready to still fly in virtually dead air and it got a right beating instead

A gamble that didn't work out. I get the impression the Moon/Earth models are just big inflatables really so just couldn't cope with more than a light breeze

On 7/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, matthewj4659 said:

It was up on the Wednesday, looked brilliant but with the fire and high winds I think it definitely had the potential to be very dangerous!

IMG_7739.jpg

Anyone fancy shopping this with Miley Cyrus sat on a wrecking ball... Missed opportunity, especially with the flame throwers on. 

Did anyone at any point see a man at the very top of the crane above the main body. I saw someone up there on Wednesday evening with what looked like flame throwers on his arms. Didn’t see him for the rest of the weekend. 

Heres a terrible video I shot on that night which blurs in and our of focus as it was dark. Last few seconds you can see him though. Or am I going mad!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H8awaDXHqUCQtW577Ju4tTeYGtRsJqO2/view?usp=drivesdk

5 hours ago, joelg said:

Did anyone at any point see a man at the very top of the crane above the main body. I saw someone up there on Wednesday evening with what looked like flame throwers on his arms. Didn’t see him for the rest of the weekend. 

Heres a terrible video I shot on that night which blurs in and our of focus as it was dark. Last few seconds you can see him though. Or am I going mad!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H8awaDXHqUCQtW577Ju4tTeYGtRsJqO2/view?usp=drivesdk

We sat under it for a bit during the heat on a Saturday, we got moved and it was cordoned off while a bloke climbed all the way along the boom part right to the end to check the lights etc were secure. He had a safety rope but he was only clipping it on every so often.

7 hours ago, joelg said:

Thats almost like the Nessie video :) 

16 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

for anyone thats not seen it ...

They’ve done their best putting that together but it was still a crane attached to nothing in a field. I know they’ve asked for ideas on how to improve it for following years and I’ve tried giving it some thought but I just don’t know. Hanging anything seems to be entirely weather-affected and without that it’ll always seem incomplete and a bit odd. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kalifire said:

They’ve done their best putting that together but it was still a crane attached to nothing in a field. I know they’ve asked for ideas on how to improve it for following years and I’ve tried giving it some thought but I just don’t know. Hanging anything seems to be entirely weather-affected and without that it’ll always seem incomplete and a bit odd. 

I agree with this.  Presumably if something is attached then the arm won't be able to rotate over the crowd.  In a festival full of the incongruous, this really was at the extreme end.

I've no doubt it'll evolve and get better.  It certainly wasn't the only element of this year's festival that was a work in progress.

1 hour ago, Padjeq said:

The arm of the crane needs to be a flamethrower next year.

This. And spark showers out the sides, or maybe wings - actually why not both? Also RGB strobes of the type that can pretend to be more innocent until BOOM

51 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

This. And spark showers out the sides, or maybe wings - actually why not both? Also RGB strobes of the type that can pretend to be more innocent until BOOM

Aerial performers suspended from the crane - loved the drama of them plucking a planted 'crowd member' and getting them onto a wire. 

There were mini spiders on wires around the spider - something like that would be good, perhaps several swarming the crane. 

Some platforms with the lightning bolt things on would be great - perhaps people situated on the arms of the crane with them? 

Whatever is added, it's the little additions that really add most to the overall experience - you want an audience to look around and find something new and interesting every where they look. I remember in 2017 not being sure what I should be looking at during the metamorphosis show. 

It was clearly quite a last minute thing, the fact that they cancelled their Arcadia show in London which was scheduled for May at relatively short notice, just shows they bit off a lot more than they could chew. That’s further highlighted by the fact that they’ve only just painted it and applied for planning after the festival.

Given a whole year I’d be willing to bet they come up with something special for next year. That said I really liked the rotating part and the fact that you could see it from really far away. Despite it still just being a crane I was mesmerised by it when I got underneath it.

33 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It was clearly quite a last minute thing, the fact that they cancelled their Arcadia show in London which was scheduled for May at relatively short notice, just shows they bit off a lot more than they could chew. That’s further highlighted by the fact that they’ve only just painted it and applied for planning after the festival.

Given a whole year I’d be willing to bet they come up with something special for next year. That said I really liked the rotating part and the fact that you could see it from really far away. Despite it still just being a crane I was mesmerised by it when I got underneath it.

I see it as theyve painted it afterwards on purpose, just because of the planning permission.