Pangea

tumbles

47 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

I think the base structure might be the Earth? The moon will definitely be hanging from the crane. 

It shouldn't be a hazard if it spins very slowly and doesn't carry heavy goods? The year off has done Glastonbury wonders for this year.

You generally don't allow people to stand/work underneath a suspended load so the area below will have to be cordoned off, I'd imagine that would be quite a large area if the crane were to move during the performance. 

Would help with the crowd though I guess, to stop people bunching up around on side 

16 minutes ago, Homer said:

I'm oblivious - still looks like... a crane to me. Looking forward to seeing it in action on Friday night.

Yeah I'm struggling to work out whats going on. I have a feeling it might be utterly mindblowing or completely shit. 

All that talk of the radome - surely that wee green football on the base of the crane isn't a radome. I thought it would be maybe hung from the crane and enclose the arena bit or something. As I say I'm struggling to work out what might even be possible or planned from the pics. 

The symbol on the map definitely suggests the crane will move around in an orbit but cant see it being allowed over people's heads

Edited by gherkin8r

If they can get away with three jcb digger arms hanging above the crowd with acrobats swooping down and picking people up out the crowd im sure a crane is fine 

1 hour ago, gherkin8r said:

Yeah I'm struggling to work out whats going on. I have a feeling it might be utterly mindblowing or completely shit. 

All that talk of the radome - surely that wee green football on the base of the crane isn't a radome. I thought it would be maybe hung from the crane and enclose the arena bit or something. As I say I'm struggling to work out what might even be possible or planned from the pics. 

The symbol on the map definitely suggests the crane will move around in an orbit but cant see it being allowed over people's heads

Arcadia said on there facebook page the green football is not the radome. Also confirmed fire etc and that what they do best is 'take over the sky'

They also state visuals by astral projekt. The link shown earlier in this thread looks pretty impressive

I have every faith in them doing something pretty spectacular. 

1 hour ago, Adam75 said:

Arcadia said on there facebook page the green football is not the radome. Also confirmed fire etc and that what they do best is 'take over the sky'

They also state visuals by astral projekt. The link shown earlier in this thread looks pretty impressive

I have every faith in them doing something pretty spectacular. 

This.

Also, they did say that the project would evolve over the coming years, so any judgement shouldn't be based on this first incarnation alone.  

4 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

This.

Also, they did say that the project would evolve over the coming years, so any judgement shouldn't be based on this first incarnation alone.  

No way, I'm set in judging it before I have seen it or even know what it is. 

Load of shite. 

6 hours ago, The60ftOctopus said:

I think the base structure might be the Earth? The moon will definitely be hanging from the crane. 

It shouldn't be a hazard if it spins very slowly and doesn't carry heavy goods? The year off has done Glastonbury wonders for this year.

To me, this makes sense with the 'footprint' given on the map.

Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 15.09.38.png

6 hours ago, The60ftOctopus said:

The year off has done Glastonbury wonders for this year.

Absolutely this.

My first Boomtown last year and, acknowledging that the whole build philosophy is very much central to Boomtown's USP, there were times when I found myself thinking that maybe Glastonbury just isn't trying hard enough in some aspects of the festival. Then Pangea is born, I sneak a look at IICON and I think "nicely done GFL. A fallow well spent...".

Ben

It does look very underwhelming and... ugly to be fair! Do we think they’re gonna cover the structures somehow or just leave it bare as it is? I wouldn’t worry if there was a week left for them to finish it off, but I don’t think 2 days is anywhere near enough time to pimp it up. I hope Im wrong!

Edited by Jay89

2 minutes ago, autoinflate said:

I'm prepared to be convinced this is a good addition....but right now it looks exactly like what it is, a dockyard crane, and a big fkn ugly one at that.

Change my mind Arcadia!

Should be ok if there are lasers 

Looks like the earth/rotating moon is bang on. Quote from Emily on NME:

"“I would say the new structure for Arcadia. It’s called Pangea, and it’s an enormous crane that you can see from pretty much the entire site. It’s quite crazy and hard to describe, but it’s going to carry a moon and circumnavigate the Earth which is at the base of the tower. It’s going to have fire and music. You know, a whole line-up of brilliant music and classic Arcadia pyro as well.”

https://www.nme.com/music-interviews/emily-eavis-tells-us-expect-glastonbury-2019-2513488#t0oZpuFeEbj39kxe.99

2 hours ago, autoinflate said:

"An enormous crane that you can see from pretty much the entire site."

Bit like a building site then? But with lasers...

Maybe that why it only starts at 10pm, use the darkness to hide the structure