Pangea

tumbles

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

Oh right, they're big old bars and look very stage-like but there you go.

I still think it looks like it'll have a much bigger capacity this year but hard to compare with my memory. The area between the bars is as wide as the front to back of the other stage crowd.

Yeah they are huge looking for bars. I remember being a bit perplexed as to what the massive bar structures were in aid of when we went through there on Sunday night 2015 after everything had finished up.

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

Yeah that's the problem with the old design, hope it's changed.

For me it's the difference between "That's lovely and great for the photo album but no point actually going there if anyone half-famous is on" as it has been in previous years and "That's going to be amazing, let's go there every night."

Found this myself. Went up for Carl Cox in 2016 I think it was and the sound was shite. Assuming it was much better inside the spiders footprint but I'm not one for that type of crowd density 99% of the time

It’s a sound field - at full tilt, it’s awesome inside it, and that’s that. If you’re outside it, you’re *behind* the PA.

IIRC the size of the sound field isn’t solely Arcadia’s choice. The festival has to approve it. And if it were spread much further out, that would mean more wattage to cover it. And for post midnight - as Neil mentions - there’s noise caps which limit what Arcadia can blast.

ISTR there is/was even a 12kwatt limit in the license for anything other than main stages.

So their hands are tied to a degree.

Simple answer, get inside the sound field. Close up to the spider still has a bit of space. (Trouble is, people see the crowd from a distance, then a lot stop... so that then built the illusion that it was rammed all the way to the legs, when it rarely actually is.)

Edited by paulo999

30 minutes ago, paulo999 said:

It’s a sound field - at full tilt, it’s awesome inside it, and that’s that. If you’re outside it, you’re *behind* the PA.

IIRC the size of the sound field isn’t solely Arcadia’s choice. The festival has to approve it. And if it were spread much further out, that would mean more wattage to cover it. And for post midnight - as Neil mentions - there’s noise caps which limit what Arcadia can blast.

ISTR there is/was even a 12kwatt limit in the license for anything other than main stages.

Simple answer, get inside the sound field. Close up to the spider still has a bit of space. (Trouble is, people see the crowd from a distance, then a lot stop... so that then built the illusion that it was rammed all the way to the legs, when it rarely actually is.)

Good advice, will try a bit harder to get inside the circle this time around. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Do you know that the new design will be the same? E.g. an inward facing circle of speakers?

Admittedly not! - But I’d be surprised if they changed it. E.g. increasing sound leakage and then getting harsher “turn downs” from the noise monitoring peeps.

37 minutes ago, paulo999 said:

Definitely one of the people who stops at the sight of a dense crowd here so will have to make sure to march forward this year. Can’t say I’ve ever had a great night at Arcadia, usually due to just turning up to whoever happens to be playing instead of to somebody I actually want to see, which I fully intend to amend this year.

3 hours ago, paulo999 said:

This 100%.

Pangea sound set up will remain the same as the spiders I'd have thought due to the restrictions placed on them so you need to get inside the circle to appreciate it.

From a distance it can look like it's so busy you'd have no room to move but get passed the 'stand and watchers' and you'll be surprised how much room there is. 

I think the 2 arc bars will help spread the crowd a bit as well. 

3 minutes ago, dccool said:

This 100%.

Pangea sound set up will remain the same as the spiders I'd have thought due to the restrictions placed on them so you need to get inside the circle to appreciate it.

From a distance it can look like it's so busy you'd have no room to move but get passed the 'stand and watchers' and you'll be surprised how much room there is. 

I think the 2 arc bars will help spread the crowd a bit as well. 

My assumption was always that the crowd got thicker the further in you went towards the centre. 

5 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

My assumption was always that the crowd got thicker the further in you went towards the centre. 

Quite often there are big voids where people can’t get past others standing in the way! 

Top Arcadia / Pangea tip...

if you are approaching it at busy periods, nip into the dairy ground field, follow the hedge right up so you have gone past Arcadia, then cut through into the gap in the hedge so you approach it from the other side(south west). Easy to get to the middle from there as you don’t have the hoardes of people approaching It the conventional way 

3 hours ago, ackerman03 said:

image.png.d0e3ecc9cb880b637e2654dd28c09f35.png

Yeah Dusty sticking to the rules but nothing stopping a good arl screenshot of the BBC cam! Wonder what will be hanging from the crane then? The moon?

I'm thinking that dome in the middle will become the moon rather than suspended as would need to be properly fixed so as not to move around.

Last year at Bluedot they had the Earth suspended in the trees but it had plenty of anchorage - this year we are Museum of the Moon too :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cammers said:

I'd love for a massive moon to be hanging 50ft in the air, especially if it stays lit all night. 

It'll be like a lovely nightlight for the whole site. 

This was the Earth version at Bluedot last year and they kept it lit up at night - it was amazing!!IMG_0564.thumb.JPG.41745ba84e3a5b199d3691e26f1d258b.JPG

Edited by shoptildrop
  • Like 1