What alcohol do you bring?

FestiZebra

3 hours ago, tumbles said:

Noticed earlier that CoOp doing 10 packs of Haze for £11.25.  I thought that was cheap then looked up and found Asda doing it for £8!

the co-op is never particularly good value for anything - although their red stripe is the cheapest i find!

8 hours ago, gfa said:

the co-op is never particularly good value for anything - although their red stripe is the cheapest i find!

Weirdly had 4 packs of blood orange for £4.85 which is cheaper than anywhere I’ve seen - mostly £5.50-6 elsewhere!

Was given a litre bottle of lemon Gordons as a leaving present from my old job - tempted to just decant and bring that but I'm a little worried I'll get sick of the citrus after a couple days... Do the bars tend to sell tonic on its own for a decent price? Not a fan of mixing it with soft drinks either. 

Tried vodka in 2019 and the hangovers were brutal so definitely back to rum or gin either way. 

My normal list is:

- A selection of crafties
- A mix of standard & mixed fruit cider & perry
- A box or 2 of red wine

The wine for me is the winner. By Saturday/Sunday I've had enough warm beer and cider so a bag of red wine is a dream, complete with it's own spout. Bonus points for having to hit the toilets less too.

I also like the idea of espresso martinis and white russians that I've seen touted around these parts. I'm signing up to this strategy too. If anyone else has any festival friendly cocktail suggests, I'm all ears.

Just now, TheDayman said:

I also like the idea of espresso martinis and white russians that I've seen touted around these parts. I'm signing up to this strategy too. If anyone else has any festival friendly cocktail suggests, I'm all ears.

It was a game changer for me.  White russian breakfasts and espressso martinis whenever I walk past a cold coffee place?  Yes please.

As for other cocktails, margaritas could be a winner.  It's just vodka, triple sec/cointreau and lime juice.  While freshly squeezed lime juice will only last a day or two (unless you have a really good cool box) before starting to spoil, I'd imagine you'll be able to get fresh limes co-op if needs be.

And if you're bringing ingredients for a margarita and white russians, you basically have what you need for a long island ice tea (vodka, triple sec / cointreau, tequila, gin, lime juice and a splash of coke).

Though I will not be held responsible for any mishaps that will occur from drinking long island ice teas at a festival.

I go in a campervan so I take a few different beers. So far I’ve got corona, desperados, elvis juice and kopparberg ready to go. This years been easy to get the beers I like in 330ml cans so I’ve jumped on them. 

4 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

While freshly squeezed lime juice will only last a day or two (unless you have a really good cool box) before starting to spoil, I'd imagine you'll be able to get fresh limes co-op if needs be.

Fresh limes will keep for the full five days.

I am ashamed to say that every year I've been I've been pre-mixing my rum and coke before leaving the house and carrying it in my backpack, which has always been ridiculously heavy. This year I had a brainwave and thought "What if I just buy the mixer there?". Mentioned this on the virtual meet and got laughed out of the room - rightly so - for my stupidity. Why has it taken me this long to figure that out? Idiot 😄 

On that note though... do the on site Coop sell cases of Pepsi/Coke cans or will it be a case of buying individual cans. Imagine it'll cost a fair bit either way but still infinitely better than carrying pre-mixed Rum & Coke on the walk in!

6 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I am ashamed to say that every year I've been I've been pre-mixing my rum and coke before leaving the house and carrying it in my backpack, which has always been ridiculously heavy. This year I had a brainwave and thought "What if I just buy the mixer there?". Mentioned this on the virtual meet and got laughed out of the room - rightly so - for my stupidity. Why has it taken me this long to figure that out? Idiot 😄 

On that note though... do the on site Coop sell cases of Pepsi/Coke cans or will it be a case of buying individual cans. Imagine it'll cost a fair bit either way but still infinitely better than carrying pre-mixed Rum & Coke on the walk in!

You could buy, and people were, whole crates of the mixers. There was no bulk discount I don't think though.

• Thanks 1

We don't take Beer or Cider anymore. In 2010 i brought a 20 litre barrell of cider. We didn't drink it due to the heat though we tried but warm cider not the best. This year we'll be taking a box of Wine, bottle of Pimms for D Ross and a bottle of Spiced Rum. Best to but any beer or cider.

Edited by ghandi

10 minutes ago, rubenz said:

Did they sell booze in the on site coop? I can't recall 

No, Co-op do sell booze at festivals where there's a clear distinction between the campsite and 'arena'/stages, but it wouldn't be fair to the other bars for Co-op to sell booze at Glastonbury where it could be taken anywhere.

16 minutes ago, rubenz said:

I'm gonna take some Peach Jubel this year. Lager that is peach flavoured and also gluten free, will taste beautiful in the glasto sunshine. 

2 quid for a small can mind tho so not taking that many! (maybe 60 or so😬

A boss summery beer that. 👌

I take less every year and buy more from the bars, I want to travel light!!

Last time I got it pretty much spot on and will do roughly the same again.....

- 12 cans of Thatchers Haze
- 2 litres of dark rum (will buy mixers on site)
- 1 litre of vodka, flavoured with an as yet to be decided sweet 

Done.