What alcohol do you bring?

FestiZebra

Need to give this some considerable thought this year.

In 2010 I took Guinness which was undrinkable by about noon in the heat so just bought stuff from the bars.

Since then it's been crates of cider for the day supplemented by boxes of red wine for night time.

Last time I tried to cut back on my packing so just took one crate of beer for by the tent and a couple of boxes of wine thinking I'll just get stuff from the bars but it was a bit of a pain. I waited ages a few times, even missed the start of Sheryl Cow, I was also very jealous of my son who kept pulling out more cans from his bag in the middle of sets, but at the same time, it was nice to have such cold ones in that heat.

On the Saturday I went back to my tent for my wine and it was actually hot, not just warm, hot. Took ages to cool down to a drinkable temperature. Spirits worry me because I don't normally drink them so don't know how much would knock me out.

What an absolute joy to have this as something to worry about.

Think I’ve got my drinks down to the perfect formula after five festivals. A couple of cans of breakfast beers (strong & fruity such as Elvis Juice) for each morning, then bar drinks during the day, trip back to the tent before subs to fill my camel pack with Gin’n’tonic (tonic needs to be fairly flat to prevent it inflating the camel pack on your back whilst dancing), usually take about 1.5 litres of gin. Then after headliners I have a hip flask of bourbon to swig as I desire.

Although after reading through this thread I think I’m going to add a daily can of espresso martini to my packing list.

3 hours ago, mjfiddy said:

Can't say i drink the cans too often but they've got me through a couple of Superbowls with one at half time.

Probably not quite your sw*nky bar level espresso martini when they've been in a warm bag all day, but on a hungover Glastonbury day on the beers should do the trick - or just smash one for breakfast 

I don't think you'd regret having the option!

Thanks that good to know, last time i had one (none can, dodgy homemade) was for the superbowl, defo done the trick, along with the halftime show...

Will get some of these cans in i think, worth a shot, cheers dude

I own a brewery so usually take 3 or 4 x 20 litre bag-in-box beers to share around but we're on the coach this year for the first time so have been thinking a lot about what to take. I'll probably bring as many cans from the brewery as I can fit in - probably get a good few in my rucksack and maybe take a separate cool bag. Was toying with taking some sprits too which I don't usually do so would be interesting to hear what mixers are available at the Co-Op as didn't make it there in 2019.

29 minutes ago, Perks said:

Thanks that good to know, last time i had one (none can, dodgy homemade) was for the superbowl, defo done the trick, along with the halftime show...

Will get some of these cans in i think, worth a shot, cheers dude

Halftime show is usually a killer but this year was gamechanger with that roster (and the fact I’m a Cincy fan helped the awakeness)

There’s probably a point in the festival when nothing will revive you but until then a delicious espresso martini for the win👌

Absolutely no lager! Lager in a can is a travesty and absolutely unpalatable imo, as we can’t bring glass bottles then it’s a no go for me.

Plenty of cider - usually in a box but for the life of me I can’t remember what one it was, usually got about five boxes from tescos. If I see someone selling road side scrumpy then I’ll get a gallon or two on the way I.

Gin and a bag of limes with some mixes.

Spiced rum with ginger beer and said limes.

Jager/tequila/sambucca depending how I’m feeling on the days before.

Maybe some wine but maybe not, never quite get with wine at festivals. I guess a red is okay.

Not sure if I’ve missed anything but I probably have.

31 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

I own a brewery so usually take 3 or 4 x 20 litre bag-in-box beers to share around but we're on the coach this year for the first time so have been thinking a lot about what to take. I'll probably bring as many cans from the brewery as I can fit in - probably get a good few in my rucksack and maybe take a separate cool bag. Was toying with taking some sprits too which I don't usually do so would be interesting to hear what mixers are available at the Co-Op as didn't make it there in 2019.

What brewery do you own? We are local to you and @Mr Gigpusheris quite the craft ale fan. 

30 minutes ago, gfa said:

Everyone just decants spirits etc into plastic bottles, like re-used 2L mixer bottles right? I don't want my drinks seized at the gate for being in plastic.

That'll be fine, single use plastic ban is only for on site sales

39 minutes ago, gfa said:

Everyone just decants spirits etc into plastic bottles, like re-used 2L mixer bottles right? I don't want my drinks seized at the gate for being in plastic.

Yes, that's fine - if you do it regularly I'd suggest getting a couple of these: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B091FZ48X6/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=244e9a0d26cf898e415027457d8ad4b1&hsa_cr_id=5516553680102&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=4e5da3c7-7bc9-4857-a767-ef4d769bcb23&pd_rd_w=sRDIw&pd_rd_wg=XXyPm&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_0_img

53 minutes ago, gfa said:

Like many have said, decanting into plastic is absolutely fine. 

Pro tip: use smaller bottles, 500ml or so. That way if one leaks you don’t lose too much… Also tends to be easier to pack. 

How come everyone is mixing their spirits before getting on site? Surely they go warm and flat after a while? I've always just bought mixer on site from food vans etc. No point having a rum and ginger beer if its warm and flat. 

3 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

How come everyone is mixing their spirits before getting on site? Surely they go warm and flat after a while? I've always just bought mixer on site from food vans etc. No point having a rum and ginger beer if its warm and flat. 

+ 1 

3 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I only pre-mix with still mixers like vodka & orange - can freeze it to help keep everything else cold. 

I am also doubtful about pre-mixing with fizzy mixers!

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I'll be buying all mixers on site this year I think. 

Anybody know if they sell big bottles of coke in the Co-op?

Aye they do.

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Ace. 

Never ventured in there last time. 

Did they sell booze as well?

No! They do at other festivals, where it's a camping/arena set up and they are based in the campsite but not Glasto.