What alcohol do you bring?

FestiZebra

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

Don't know about what the Co-op sells on site.  I do know that in the past the places selling cigs were charging an arm and a leg for brands you'd never heard of.  If you're a smoker I'd definitely take a good stock of your own.

Probably will bring a vape and end up caving on cigs when that (inevitably) runs out 2 days in.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Bought filter papers, chewing gum and a boost bar at the little off licence. He made eye contact with me, knew exactly what I was doing, and offered me a pack of jammy Dodgers to round it up to a fiver. A great time was had at chemical brothers.

Love that 😂

24 minutes ago, Lushroom said:

Are you allowed to drink your own alcohol in bar/venue areas (e.g. NYC Downlow, The Spike etc) or is it frowned upon if a place serves booze?

First-timer trying to figure out what my budget is going to look like!

Don’t think you’d have an issue in either of those places as they’ll be very busy and I doubt anyone would notice.

The only place I’ve ever had an issue is in the now diseased kasbah where they wouldn’t let you drink your own booze. But iirc you wernt allowed to stand up in there so they tried to keep the seats for people who were using the bar which is fair enough really and probably goes for any of the bars. I wouldn’t be taking up seats in a bar and everyone in your group drinking your own. Not that anyone is particularly bothered. 

34 minutes ago, Lushroom said:

Are you allowed to drink your own alcohol in bar/venue areas (e.g. NYC Downlow, The Spike etc) or is it frowned upon if a place serves booze?

First-timer trying to figure out what my budget is going to look like!

You can drink your own anywhere you like. Most years I’ve been I haven’t bought a single drink.

3 minutes ago, Divein said:

Don’t think you’d have an issue in either of those places as they’ll be very busy and I doubt anyone would notice.

The only place I’ve ever had an issue is in the now diseased kasbah where they wouldn’t let you drink your own booze. But iirc you wernt allowed to stand up in there so they tried to keep the seats for people who were using the bar which is fair enough really and probably goes for any of the bars. I wouldn’t be taking up seats in a bar and everyone in your group drinking your own. Not that anyone is particularly bothered. 

Oh yeah I wouldn't take up a seat if I wasn't paying for drinks there, I was more thinking when you're dancing away. Cheers 🙂

34 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Well jealous at access to a walk-in freezer - that makes coolbox preparation so much easier! 🙂

To solve the unbreakable iceberg of booze challenge I'd suggest making your ice block leaving space for a single layer of chilled but not frozen cans on top for the first day or two.

Depending on how good your coolbox is a big ice block might not even have defrosted enough to get cans out after 2 or 3 days... I spoke to a South African chap once who swore by the Coleman Extreme ones - back home he used to use two of them for extended camping trips, one chilled and one frozen solid. He reckoned the frozen one apparently took 5+ days to defrost in 30 degree heat, and stayed fridge cold for a fair while longer.

Partly down to that recommendation I have a Coleman Extreme myself - it's bloody good. Drinks were still cold on the Sunday of 2013, after leaving home Tuesday afternoon.

It’s not amazing but usually have ice on the Sunday 

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Lushroom said:

Oh yeah I wouldn't take up a seat if I wasn't paying for drinks there, I was more thinking when you're dancing away. Cheers 🙂

I've found the best thing to do is just fill a bag with a few cans or whiskey mixed with whatever and then get a pint or two from bars. Before 2019 id decided I was going to drink more from the bars but I honestly found it a pain having to leave my spot at whatever stage I was at to go to a bar and pints in a paper cup are annoying to carry around. You can bring your own drink anywhere you like so I just find that easier.

1 hour ago, buddiepaul said:

Just ordered some beer released to mark the re-release of the BMX Bandits "Life Goes On" album.  Will try and save it for the festival

Carnival x BMX Bandits - Life Gose On - Strawberry & Lime Sour - Wee Beer  Shop

That one would appeal to Mrs Boomtowner, but not had many gose style beers that I've liked. Tend to be a little salty for my liking. 

2 litres of rum, 2 litres of Southern Comfort, 8 x various imperial stouts, litre of Disarrono for drinking neat. Will buy a few pints from the bars during the day and then move onto spirits in the late afternoon/early evening. Start the day with a nice big stout in my hand leaving camp to get me on my way and have one a day in the evening when I fancy a change up. 

Feel quite thirsty now.

• Upvote 1

Boxes of Lilleys Cider (something strong and dry, something medium and sweeter to have options or mix). Not too much as don't want too much weight going in and would generally rather take some extra cash and have the fresh stuff but this is good for the campsite and between bars.

Real pro tip: Camelbak. They are not just for water! One of our crew brings red wine in one. We've taken to cider albeit the last bits can be a bit warm.

5 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Bought filter papers, chewing gum and a boost bar at the little off licence. He made eye contact with me, knew exactly what I was doing, and offered me a pack of jammy Dodgers to round it up to a fiver. A great time was had at chemical brothers.

Really struggling to understand what you were doing and why he gave you jammy dodgers

4 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Really struggling to understand what you were doing and why he gave you jammy dodgers

not too sure on the jammy dodgers/boost, but the gum+papers+chemical brothers combo is the main thing

29 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Making a bomb, obviously. The Jammy Dodgers are the key to it all. 

Unsure why the dude would give him a “look” for buying papers at a festival where like 50% (probs more) of the attendees are off their chops.

Having something palatable when it’s no longer cold is critical so I’m also taking the Thatchers gold this year. I’ll be doing the frozen can thing too but not all cans. I’ll have my first morning cans pre chilled as a reward for getting the tent up. 

For those people who want to carry their beer around all day, make sure you have a bag with decent straps. First year I had a few cans in one of those little string strap bag things. My shoulders were a mess after a couple of days. 

The usual suspects...

Essential Beavertown IPA's (cannot drink warm lager beers anymore)

Some Gin (i guess) mixers from the onsite co-op given on the coach so limiting

Boxed wine - bit of flavour to mix it up

And the two new for this year...

Espresso Martini cans - couple of these should go down a treat if flagging.

Hard seltzer - will give these a go, may regret this life choice.

This year it'll be Thatchers Gold or Thatchers Haze and a few lots of curley girls cherry Bakewell vodka, which has served me well the past few Glastonbury's. I normally do other infusions but can't be arsed this year as most of the time they end up not being consumed. Might bring a bottle of gin for a few G&T's. Going to buy more from the bars this year than usual I think.

34 minutes ago, mjfiddy said:

Espresso Martini cans - couple of these should go down a treat if flagging.

are these any good? they are on offer in tesco's - Funkin Nitro Espresso Martini Cocktail 200Ml

worth a go? do love an expresso martini - proper pick me up

36 minutes ago, Perks said:

are these any good? they are on offer in tesco's - Funkin Nitro Espresso Martini Cocktail 200Ml

worth a go? do love an expresso martini - proper pick me up

Can't say i drink the cans too often but they've got me through a couple of Superbowls with one at half time.

Probably not quite your sw*nky bar level espresso martini when they've been in a warm bag all day, but on a hungover Glastonbury day on the beers should do the trick - or just smash one for breakfast 

I don't think you'd regret having the option!

Edited by mjfiddy

Bottle of vodka
Bottle of shots 
Slab of cider
Box of rose wine for Sunday! 

Can't be assed to carry any more than that and I like to buy cold beers. 

11 hours ago, kingbadger said:

2 litres of rum, 2 litres of Southern Comfort, 8 x various imperial stouts, litre of Disarrono for drinking neat. Will buy a few pints from the bars during the day and then move onto spirits in the late afternoon/early evening. Start the day with a nice big stout in my hand leaving camp to get me on my way and have one a day in the evening when I fancy a change up. 

Feel quite thirsty now.

A stout to start the day? 

2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Buckfast. The undefeated festival drink 

It definitely does the trick.  It can turn a monk into a madman.

I might be a bit more reserved this year due to going on a coach and hangovers becoming down right evil and incapacitating these days but I reckon between me and Mrs Shanks, we'll have 

1ltr of Spiced rum

2ltrs of vodka and a bottle of Kahlua for White Russians / Espresso martinis

Case of Shipyard.

That should cover us for the weekend!