2019 Traffic Management Plan

parsonjack

Updated info request! I might be going to the Accessible Car Park instead - this I guess would involve heading South on the A37 and then turning off through Shepton Mallet towards the A361? Is this likely to still be quiet lunchtime-ish (1-2pm Weds)?

Obviously I'm assuming normal traffic flow, not 2016 doom scenarios.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:25 AM, Fearless_Fish said:

Updated info request! I might be going to the Accessible Car Park instead - this I guess would involve heading South on the A37 and then turning off through Shepton Mallet towards the A361? Is this likely to still be quiet lunchtime-ish (1-2pm Weds)?

Obviously I'm assuming normal traffic flow, not 2016 doom scenarios.

Unfortunately the right turn from A37 onto A361 just south of Shepton will be closed from 0001 on Weds so you won't be able to do that to get to Accessible parking adjacent to Yellow Gate (assuming that is where you are heading to..).

In previous years however you have been able to come through Shepton Mallet town centre and use the B3136 to join the A361 just East of Pilton village and to then head down through the village and left into Yellow parking.  I have used this in the past, and friends used it in 2017 with no issue, however there is some thought that a barrier may now prevent that route, although I can see no reference to it in the Traffic Management Plan.

Maybe you could contact the Festival and ask if that route will be possible for Yellow parking specifically, otherwise you will need to approach on A361 from West (from Glastonbury direction). 

Edited by parsonjack
  • Upvote 1

Anyone aware of usually what time traffic starts to form outside the festival on an average (not 2016) year. Im aware that this is dependent on so many factors, but if we were to arrive at say 6am would we miss the bulk of traffic outside the site? 4am? 2am? sod it we'll just go tuesday night.

11 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Anyone aware of usually what time traffic starts to form outside the festival on an average (not 2016) year. Im aware that this is dependent on so many factors, but if we were to arrive at say 6am would we miss the bulk of traffic outside the site? 4am? 2am? sod it we'll just go tuesday night.

Which side ? I’ve never found the A37  heading north to be any problem at around 6am. Apart from 2016 when we used some local knowledge and a green badge to avoid the gridlock 

1 minute ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

Which side ? I’ve never found the A37  heading north to be any problem at around 6am. Apart from 2016 when we used some local knowledge and a green badge to avoid the gridlock 

Probably the east but this hasn't been finalised by our group yet and might change. Coming from the midlands so would go right through the middle of Bristol usually and then on from there. We want as much sleep as possible tuesday night but more importantly willing to come as early as needed to avoid queues. Was sat in a queue all through the night, arriving to the queue about 10pm ish, on the a37 in 2016, we finally decided to go for it and went round the other side of the site and got in immediately no problems

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Unfortunately the right turn from A37 onto A361 just south of Shepton will be closed from 0001 on Weds so you won't be able to do that to get to Accessible parking adjacent to Yellow Gate (assuming that is where you are heading to..).

In previous years however you have been able to come through Shepton Mallet town centre and use the B3136 to join the A361 just East of Pilton village and to then head down through the village and left into Yellow parking.  I have used this in the past, and friends used it in 2017 with no issue, however there is some thought that a barrier may now prevent that route, although I can see no reference to it in the Traffic Management Plan.

Maybe you could contact the Festival and ask if that route will be possible for Yellow parking specifically, otherwise you will need to approach on A361 from West (from Glastonbury direction). 

Arse!

Hi, I'm hoping to leave Midlands (Stourbridge) on the Weds morning at around 06:30. I normally go Tuesday night so I'm concerned about traffic. I know there're a lot of factors, but, does anyone think this is a shocking idea or won't it be too bad? Thanks in advance 

8 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Hi, I'm hoping to leave Midlands (Stourbridge) on the Weds morning at around 06:30. I normally go Tuesday night so I'm concerned about traffic. I know there're a lot of factors, but, does anyone think this is a shocking idea or won't it be too bad? Thanks in advance 

Given the amount of folks that turn up on Tuesday evening these days the Wednesday traffic is far less than in previous years.  If you're happy trading first dibs on camping pitches for an easier drive in then it's prob not a bad idea.

(Fellow Black Country boy here....born in Walsall?)

Should be fine (ish) if leaving Wednesday morning. 

I'm coming from that way myself - Quarry Bank

Albeit I'm travelling down on the Monday as I'm volunteering with Oxfam.

Have a good un!

55 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Given the amount of folks that turn up on Tuesday evening these days the Wednesday traffic is far less than in previous years.  If you're happy trading first dibs on camping pitches for an easier drive in then it's prob not a bad idea.

(Fellow Black Country boy here....born in Walsall?)

Well luckily most of our group are going Tuesday night anyway, so my brother is will have put my tent up by the time I get there :D

I love Wednesdays there so it's weird doing this, I'd hate to be stuck in a savage traffic jam and not get on site until turned 2!

(WADOO ME MON!)

41 minutes ago, Stave_1974 said:

Should be fine (ish) if leaving Wednesday morning. 

I'm coming from that way myself - Quarry Bank

Albeit I'm travelling down on the Monday as I'm volunteering with Oxfam.

Have a good un!

Quarry Bonk! Ar noze it well. I actually live in Wall Heath now but born and bred in Stour! Enjoy the festival me old tate!

Well luckily most of our group are going Tuesday night anyway, so my brother is will have put my tent up by the time I get there :D

I love Wednesdays there so it's weird doing this, I'd hate to be stuck in a savage traffic jam and not get on site until turned 2!

(WADOO ME MON!)

You won't be. There will be a bit of a queue, but you certainly won't spend all day stuck in jams, unless there is an accident or the weather is dreadful. In fact, you're probably better off getting there a bit later and beating the rush. I'm tempted to get there for about noon this year just to avoid the near three-hour queue to get in we faced at 10am on Wednesday. Don't think we'll get in much later! Although in 2016 I got there at 10 and just walked straight in!

• 5 weeks later...

Wonder if you guys can help, we're going to be in Ashcombe Parking (here) which is just west of orange parking. We'll be staying overnight in Warminster, so coming from the east - will we have to loop round through Wells and Glastonbury town to join the A361 to get there, is there a more direct route? 

22 hours ago, sam1981 said:

Wonder if you guys can help, we're going to be in Ashcombe Parking (here) which is just west of orange parking. We'll be staying overnight in Warminster, so coming from the east - will we have to loop round through Wells and Glastonbury town to join the A361 to get there, is there a more direct route? 

We usually park there. This has never, ever, ever failed us -

Screenshot_20190618-142110.png

Anyone got any advice on the best route to get to the West side from the East Midlands, more specifically as we approach bristol should we go through Bristol and down the A37 and try and cut across to the west from there or should we stick on the M5 and come from the west that way sort of past Cheddar, or is that too big of a detour to be worth the hassle. I can work out the directions but if anyone has any ideas of which ways may be quieter and traffic flowing easier then that'd be helpful, cheers.

19 minutes ago, herzzreh said:

We usually park there. This has never, ever, ever failed us -

Screenshot_20190618-142110.png

Anyone else confirm this route is OK and doesn't annoy the locals?

I had been told to stick to main routes but on Tuesday we are staying just near West Camel at the bottom of this map and so it would be the most direct route for us to get to west parking.

Edited by Northtim

16 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Anyone got any advice on the best route to get to the West side from the East Midlands, more specifically as we approach bristol should we go through Bristol and down the A37 and try and cut across to the west from there or should we stick on the M5 and come from the west that way sort of past Cheddar, or is that too big of a detour to be worth the hassle. I can work out the directions but if anyone has any ideas of which ways may be quieter and traffic flowing easier then that'd be helpful, cheers.

Go down the M5, take J23 onto the A39 and go via Glastonbury. Getting in isn't the issue, getting out is.

24 minutes ago, YellowDuck said:

Hi,

I’m leaving the North West at around 3/4am on the Wednesday. Does anyone know the best route from the M5 to get into yellow parking? Hoping to camp in Pylon so would be best for us to get in through gate A.

Thanks ?

I have a feeling yellow car park is for hospitality now - maybe someone can confirm that..

As regards to getting to the west side park take junction 23 off M5 and head down A39/A361 it will be all sign posted from there tbh

You don't get to chose which car park, you will be put in whatever they are filling up - so either pink or orange and maybe yellow if not allocated to hospitality

Edited by shoptildrop

On 6/21/2019 at 4:16 PM, sam1981 said:

@sam1981 I live in Frome (near Warminster) I’m going Tuesday morning as volunteering; parking in orange which is the same route you’d be going.

So I’d say Warminster  (A362) to Frome > (A361) to Shepton Mallet > turn onto A37 Cannards Grave > turn onto A361 towards Pilton/Glastonbury. (You can turn right - well at least have always been able to if you display the correct permit - off the A37 onto the A361. You just can’t turn right coming the other way A37 onto A361). If you had a general parking ticket you’d be directed I think usually to the east car parks but the road is still operational to normal traffic/if you’ve got a non-general parking ticket.

Edited by Sara_out_west

19 minutes ago, Sara_out_west said:

@sam1981 I live in Frome (near Warminster) I’m going Tuesday morning as volunteering; parking in orange which is the same route you’d be going.

So I’d say Warminster  (A362) to Frome > (A361) to Shepton Mallet > turn onto A37 Cannards Grave > turn onto A361 towards Pilton/Glastonbury. (You can turn right - well at least have always been able to if you display the correct permit - off the A37 onto the A361. You just can’t turn right coming the other way A37 onto A361). If you had a general parking ticket you’d be directed I think usually to the east car parks but the road is still operational to normal traffic/if you’ve got a non-general parking ticket.

OK, thank you.

The bit that concerns me is when you said 'if you display the correct permit' which I won't have. 

I presume it's a no go to cut through the B3136?