2019 Traffic Management Plan

parsonjack

15 hours ago, al_coholic said:

I will still never forget I think 2009 or 2010 when it took 6 hours to get onsite from Bristol. Queue on the A37 was insane. It was sometime after that they started the Tuesday night car park opening

2009 our first Glastonbury

On 5/15/2019 at 7:11 PM, crazyfool1 said:

im gong to be very impressed when you tell us what has changed :) 

Right...checked it through...and you'll be pleased to know that with the exception of closure to some very small lanes in Pilton village it's the same as for 2017.

If it worked for you in 2017...stick with it ?

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2019 at 7:44 PM, al_coholic said:

I will still never forget I think 2009 or 2010 when it took 6 hours to get onsite from Bristol. Queue on the A37 was insane. It was sometime after that they started the Tuesday night car park opening

it was 2009 and Our crew Coach from London got stuck in it even although we drove up from the A303 - The Coach driver below failed to follow my instructions and turned down a unlisted road even although there was a big sign pointing the correct way - we had concern that we would be completely unstuck with the road being so narrow - we had no choice but follow the road to the end and that took us a few miles west of Glastonbury Town so we had did a big circle { as we started south east of Pilton } - what a bloody pain and because we were so late security would not let the Coach in even although it had the correct onsite pass - My old 2008 photo Glasto pass was enough to accept we were part of the WBC Crew and they did let us in - with being so late we could not camp in the crew area - I caused such a stink the WBC Chairman decided that in future the crew Coaches would arrive on the Tuesday.Never did find out the real reason for the delay as we were going at 4 feet per Hour.

glasto-53-1000.jpg.58c820d63559633a14357a1ef4ca97c8.jpg

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

it was 2009 and Our crew Coach from London got stuck in it even although we drove up from the A303 - The Coach driver below failed to follow my instructions and turned down a unlisted road even although there was a big sign pointing the correct way - we had concern that we would be completely unstuck with the road being so narrow - we had no choice but follow the road to the end and that took us a few miles west of Glastonbury Town so we had did a big circle { as we started south east of Pilton } - what a bloody pain and because we were so late security would not let the Coach in even although it had the correct onsite pass - My old 2008 photo Glasto pass was enough to accept we were part of the WBC Crew and they did let us in - with being so late we could not camp in the crew area - I caused such a stink the WBC Chairman decided that in future the crew Coaches would arrive on the Tuesday.Never did find out the real reason for the delay as we were going at 4 feet per Hour.

glasto-53-1000.jpg.58c820d63559633a14357a1ef4ca97c8.jpg

Yep, it was 2009 I think there had been a few crashes--my friend took over 18hrs to arrive from Manchester! 

I just missed the chaos coming from Bristol pretty early in the morning so avoided the delays. Wasn't so lucky in 2016! That took about 7hrs from Bristol

14 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yep, it was 2009 I think there had been a few crashes--my friend took over 18hrs to arrive from Manchester! 

I just missed the chaos coming from Bristol pretty early in the morning so avoided the delays. Wasn't so lucky in 2016! That took about 7hrs from Bristol

yes there were a few but on the M5 ' so long before Glastonbury town ' so it did not make sense - then there was a claim there was a fire near Pilton but no  Security supervisor knew anything about it .

we only joined the main road about 2 miles outside Glastonbury town and the queue was already at a standstill.

some people got off the Coach went to the Pub - had a meal and two of them even had a game of pool and when they returned two hours later the Coach had only moved 10 feet.

all that because the driver got confused !!! - it was so narrow the Coach could not turn into any side road - we did make it in the end but its the longest coach ride I have ever had.

12 hours ago, Gedh said:

That's a good hint, will they know about Glastonbury though, oh hang on...

I reckon they'll load them at the start of June, but depends how the local council does it.

I work for a large transport authority and we'd put this kinda thing in ASAP, but we probably have more resource than Mendip. :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

yes there were a few but on the M5 ' so long before Glastonbury town ' so it did not make sense - then there was a claim there was a fire near Pilton but no  Security supervisor knew anything about it .

We were on site relatively early in 2009, and there were plumes of dark smoke from somewhere just east of the site. 

We were setting up in Dairy and worried a fire had started backstage... I don't know if that was linked to the traffic issues, but our friends took 9 hours to get from Surrey...

Looking for some advice on the best way to approach getting to Glasto....(complete glastonbury noob so forgive any naivety) 

Mrs & I will be coming from the East (down A303 etc.), we want to meet up with friends who will be coming from the West (Cornwall way) before arriving. Would it be best to drive and meet them west of Glastonbury, then approach from that direction, or vice versa? I imagine most people would be arriving from the East so traffic would be worse that way? Or are both normally just as bad....

Any advice welcome

Cheers

Edited by forjustoneday

41 minutes ago, Titters said:

We were on site relatively early in 2009, and there were plumes of dark smoke from somewhere just east of the site. 

We were setting up in Dairy and worried a fire had started backstage... I don't know if that was linked to the traffic issues, but our friends took 9 hours to get from Surrey...

I seem to remember a scrapyard fire ... could be wrong though 

Get them to come off either come off  at the A30 Exeter then on to the 303  or  the m5 at Taunton come down the A358 from Taunton and onto the 303 and you come up the 303 to meet at the Podimore  services .Then head up the A37 to site. 

Edited by Yeo-vile idiot

34 minutes ago, forjustoneday said:

Looking for some advice on the best way to approach getting to Glasto....(complete glastonbury noob so forgive any naivety) 

Mrs & I will be coming from the East (down A303 etc.), we want to meet up with friends who will be coming from the West (Cornwall way) before arriving. Would it be best to drive and meet them west of Glastonbury, then approach from that direction, or vice versa? I imagine most people would be arriving from the East so traffic would be worse that way? Or are both normally just as bad....

Any advice welcome

Cheers

The Cornwall brigade should come off M5 at J29 Exeter and head East on A30 (past Exeter Airport) and then A303.  You head West on A303 and meet them at Podimore services near Ilchester, then head North on A37 to Pylle and into East carparks. 

On 5/16/2019 at 1:27 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Thanks, that would be great,

last time in 2016 it was a right turn off the 361 coming from Glastonbury then down different lanes  into WV car park. I think it might have been before stickleball lane as it was for festival official traffic, deliveries. It could have been Newtown lane but that’s a guess. As I said some nice person had knocked over the sign so we had to do a u turn in serious traffic to get back to the junction. Leaving the site we has to head towards the  Shepton Mallet road. All WV tell you is to follow the signs. 

It’s like a labyrinth there, turning right off A361. Head towards Avalon Vineyard and you’re in the vicinity. Much more direct route to WV off A37.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

It’s like a labyrinth there, turning right off A361. Head towards Avalon Vineyard and you’re in the vicinity. Much more direct route to WV off A37.

So true, we actually walked those roads last summer during the fallow year and we saw exactly what those lanes are like. Reckon we will still use the A361 as we are staying in Glastonbury town prefestival. I fancy driving home through cheddar to the M5 so hopefully that means heading to Shepton Mallet . 

15 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

2 hours ago, Titters said:

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Yes....scrappie at Pylle near entrance to Blue Route was on fire ? 

We got stuck in this (me and two of my kids) and got diverted - coming from Hampshire - to the West car parks.

The problem was that there were gas canisters close to the fire in the scrap yard and everyone was diverted as precaution. 

41 minutes ago, forjustoneday said:

Cheers @parsonjack & @Yeo-vile idiot will do exactly that ? 

Another question while I'm here...From experience does traffic get progressively worse throughout Wednesday? Or does it generally start to ease by mid/late afternoon...

Cheers

Sadly I can’t help there because I always get to site for about 7am on the Wednesday 

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Yes....scrappie at Pylle near entrance to Blue Route was on fire ? 

I remember seeing this from the SE corner. I'm told that the wind direction was being closely monitored and had it changed to blow the smoke (full of rather nasty stuff) in the direction of the festival the site would have been evacuated. The logistics of this are mind boggling but I guess there are contingency plans in place for such a thing.

55 minutes ago, forjustoneday said:

Cheers @parsonjack & @Yeo-vile idiot will do exactly that ? 

Another question while I'm here...From experience does traffic get progressively worse throughout Wednesday? Or does it generally start to ease by mid/late afternoon...

Cheers

Typically the latter with traffic clearing later in the day but there are so many things that could go wrong that there are no guarantees. Whatever happens it's best to chill and go with the flow, it's all part of the experience.

57 minutes ago, Woffy said:

We got stuck in this (me and two of my kids) and got diverted - coming from Hampshire - to the West car parks.

The problem was that there were gas canisters close to the fire in the scrap yard and everyone was diverted as precaution. 

3 hours ago, Titters said:

but we were one of 5 Crew Coaches { with a gap of 30 mins between each one }  all coming along the A303/A371 and the 4 behind us were not diverted and they did not see a fire ' so I reckon that happened later ' - the big mystery was while traffic heading east along the A361 was blocked - there was cars heading west along the A361.As soon as we past Glastonbury Tor traffic started moving again - it must have been a combination of things - anyway this year our Coach leaves South London at Noon on the Tuesday so we should be onsite 3 hours later and I will make sure the drivers Satnav is working !!!

Normally come in on the A361 from Glastonbury and park in the West car parks. This year, however, we're staying in a hotel on the A37 about a mile from the site, so I'm guessing we'll have to go in the East car parks and go in Gate B. Normally camp on Hitchin Hill. Is that going to be a complete pain in the arse?