2019 Traffic Management Plan

parsonjack

2 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Fairly sure its Newtown Lane, definitely not down Stickleball lane as you pass the sign way before you get to Ashcombe Farm. Even though Pennard Hill Farm (where WV is located) is off Stickleball Lane, the car park for Worthy View is round the other side accessed off Cockmill Lane. It is much easier to access WV from the East if you can, but I have done it from the West, its just a load of country lanes.

Yes, that’s what I thought as well.  I remember the turn off had a few houses and then it was down and around lanes. Looking on google street view Newtown does look vaguely familiar. Would be good if WV actually gave directions rather than just say follow signage.

25 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, that’s what I thought as well.  I remember the turn off had a few houses and then it was down and around lanes. Looking on google street view Newtown does look vaguely familiar. Would be good if WV actually gave directions rather than just say follow signage.

When I stayed at VW in 2014, coming from the M5, we turned right off the A39 down the side of the Piper's Inn

Pipers Inn
70 Bath Rd, Ashcott, Bridgwater TA7 9QL
01458 210030
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9SrPvjrToHX34Cy69

Edited by ceetee

51 minutes ago, ceetee said:

When I stayed at VW in 2014, coming from the M5, we turned right off the A39 down the side of the Piper's Inn

Pipers Inn
70 Bath Rd, Ashcott, Bridgwater TA7 9QL
01458 210030
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9SrPvjrToHX34Cy69

Thanks , but we are staying in Glastonbury town for a few days before fest so will be driving from there along 361. Should be ok 

What's the traffic like getting out immediately after headliners finish? A few of my crew are thinking of driving back to Sheffield on Sunday night (one of them has to work, the other accidentally booked a holiday with her parents and sister she next day)...is it pure carnage getting out of the carparks? 

He's not arriving till Thursday, so maybe you're better off getting out if you got in late?

17 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

What's the traffic like getting out immediately after headliners finish? A few of my crew are thinking of driving back to Sheffield on Sunday night (one of them has to work, the other accidentally booked a holiday with her parents and sister she next day)...is it pure carnage getting out of the carparks? 

He's not arriving till Thursday, so maybe you're better off getting out if you got in late?

We've always left Sunday night after the headliners and its fine - maybe 30mins tops of delays to get out of the car parks

What's the traffic like heading South on the A37 around lunch time? 

I'm heading from the North East, aiming for the East car parks (Purple), and the directions given by the festival add an hour onto my journey (travel west along A303 then North up A37).

That's a big addition to an already long drive. Direct route via Sat Nav has me coming down from Bristol. However the festival route I've previously followed has never had traffic at that time (barring 2016....) so would rather go that way if it meant avoiding a big queue.

1 minute ago, Fearless_Fish said:

What's the traffic like heading South on the A37 around lunch time? 

I'm heading from the North East, aiming for the East car parks (Purple), and the directions given by the festival add an hour onto my journey (travel west along A303 then North up A37).

That's a big addition to an already long drive. Direct route via Sat Nav has me coming down from Bristol. However the festival route I've previously followed has never had traffic at that time (barring 2016....) so would rather go that way if it meant avoiding a big queue.

Lunchtime which day? 

1 minute ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Whoops, Wednesday, it would never occur to me to arrive any other day ?

No worries.  Lunchtime Weds you'll prob be fine as a lot of folks will already be in carparks after opening on Tuesday evening.  We use A37 from just south of site every year on Weds morning and it's pretty much straight in recently with little sign of major traffic coming from opposite direction ie from North as you will. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, pilton digger said:

No you can't. There is usually a barrier stopping anyone turning into the village without a pass.

I bow to your obvs more local knowledge but the TMP doesn't show the restriction.  I did just this in 2010 when I dropped a friend at the bus station on Friday afternoon, and other friends did it in 2017 when they needed to head to Yellow Gate and disabled parking.

Prob best to discourage though for several reasons ?

6 hours ago, djdavejohnson said:

That's really useful, thanks ?

Another question if anybody ia able to advise, once travelling down the A37 past the A37 / A361 junction, are you able to choose which colour route to take, or is this designated at the time depending on traffic flow / car parking availability etc. (I'm aiming to leave bath around 6/7am)? I've been running on the assumption that the brown route is the best route to take for Ped Gate B?

Sorry to bump, but in case it was missed, anyone able to advise? 

7 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Happy to dish out travel advice though....exercise my inner geek a little more.

If I could please take you up on your kind offer?

This’ll be my first Glastonbury, so forgive me if what I’m asking is obvious.

I’ll be driving down on the Tuesday evening from the north west (taking the M6 then M5). I’m aiming to park in Orange for Ped Gate D.

Would you know the best exit and route to take from the M5?

Thank you kindly :) 

4 minutes ago, TabulaRasa said:

If I could please take you up on your kind offer?

This’ll be my first Glastonbury, so forgive me if what I’m asking is obvious.

I’ll be driving down on the Tuesday evening from the north west (taking the M6 then M5). I’m aiming to park in Orange for Ped Gate D.

Would you know the best exit and route to take from the M5?

Thank you kindly :) 

Gate D at that time I’d just come off at 23 and down A39/A361 and you’ll end up on that side 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tumbles said:

Gate D at that time I’d just come off at 23 and down A39/A361 and you’ll end up on that side 

Yep....that would be easiest to West parking in general.....there's never a guarantee that you'll get Orange as you could be shoved into Pink first but it's probably the best bet.

Coming off at 21 and then using A370/A371 to Wells and then south on A39 Glastonbury Road would be an alternative but you'll still end up approaching from West as above.  Heading left off A39 Glastonbury Road from Wells and approaching through Launcherley and North Wootton villages would cut off a big corner but you would almost certainly end up in Pink before joining A361 that way.  Note that after 0900 on Weds everyone using A39 south from Wells will be directed that way.

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

Yep....that would be easiest to West parking in general.....there's never a guarantee that you'll get Orange as you could be shoved into Pink first but it's probably the best bet.

Coming off at 21 and then using A370/A371 to Wells and then south on A39 Glastonbury Road would be an alternative but you'll still end up approaching from West as above.  Heading left off A39 Glastonbury Road from Wells and approaching through Launcherley and North Wootton villages would cut off a big corner but you would almost certainly end up in Pink before joining A361 that way.  Note that after 0900 on Weds everyone using A39 south from Wells will be directed that way.

I’ve always come the route I’ve mentioned but thinking I’d prefer to come in at Gate B this year so figured I’d just come down A37 - that best route you think? 

3 minutes ago, tumbles said:

I’ve always come the route I’ve mentioned but thinking I’d prefer to come in at Gate B this year so figured I’d just come down A37 - that best route you think? 

Yup.....you'll need East parking for Gate B so A37 south from Shepton would be best and pray you can get into Purple carparks.

22 minutes ago, TabulaRasa said:

Thank you ?

Should arrive 11pm latest

We did the M6 M5 in 2017and left  at j23.  The traffic through glasto town can be heavy. We were directed into orange car parks, you really have to go where directed. We were going for pedestrian gate A so that was reasonable. It’s a popular car park and they seemed to fill it up first.

14 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Ah....I've been expecting you MJP...... 

Of course you can be bothered ?

The issue is, they all get loaded onto Google Maps as soon as each roadblock goes live, which kills off my efforts!