Proposing to my girlfriend at Glastonbury

Tagsman

OMG I just realised I proposed to Mrs Worm on 29th June, the day I got back from Glasto one year. (She never goes). 

I ended up getting home and remembered I’d not bought the kids anything. But realising I had a massive amount of craft stuff which was due to be delivered to a friend, I decided to make them a huge 1m special “I love you” sign for each of their bedroom walls. 

Then I made one for the Mrs which ended up saying “I love you, will you marry me?”  And put that on our bedroom wall.

When they all got home we all walked through the house looking at my amazing work until we got to the wife’s one!  

She said yes and we still celebrate 29th June as that also happened to be the date we first got together even more years ago.

It’ll be 18 years this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

OMG I just realised I proposed to Mrs Worm on 29th June, the day I got back from Glasto one year. (She never goes). 

It’ll be 18 years this year.

Does she mind that you'll be at the festival this year for your anniversary? 

55 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Does she mind that you'll be at the festival this year for your anniversary? 

Nope. She doesn’t like festivals and never wants to go. Really supports me going..... so long as I don’t bang on about it the whole year.

Hence I have Gold Membership here. 

3 hours ago, ian the worm said:

Nope. She doesn’t like festivals and never wants to go. Really supports me going..... so long as I don’t bang on about it the whole year.

Hence I have Gold Membership here. 

Lol!! Works well then. 

On 5/15/2019 at 2:53 PM, Tagsman said:

If anyone has any tips to make it extra special I would love to hear it.

My Glastonbury "hack" (warning: it's a poncey one) is to get a shellac manicure before the festival, so I can't see any of the griminess underneath my fingernails.

Treat your girlfriend to some shellac before the festival, under the guise of it being a Glastonbury hack. Then when you propose, she'll have snazzy nails ready to show off the ring.

• Upvote 1

My husband proposed to me at Glastonbury in 2012. If you don’t mind, I’m a private person so I won’t go into details but I will say it was a lovely place for a proposal and our wedding reflected some aspects of the proposal/Glastonbury Festival. 

@tagsman: I'm the official photographer for the Theatre & Circus Fields. If you propose anywhere near my patch, I'll be happy to get some photos and share them with you, and I can almost guarantee that one will make the main Glastonbury Festival web galleries (if I do a good job, ha ha). Last festival I photographed a proposal on one of our outdoor stages, in front of something like 5000 people, it was a pretty memorable event (he was pretty sure she'd say yes ?). 

cg_thurs_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I proposed at the 2016 festival, we got married during last year's fallow year. The festival is a place pretty close to our hearts and one of my legendary mates wrote to ME who sent us a wedding card (I think the fallow year would have meant he had the time to respond!).

We were on the hill near Tricketts bar* which made for a spectacular view and some amazing photos. We have a canvas picture of me on one knee and my wife looking incredibly surprised with loads of people walking past. Great experience which means that the festival will always be a very special place for us.  

*The proximity to the bar meant a large volume of prosecco was consumed resulting in a serious hangover! 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 11:08 PM, chasg said:

@tagsman: I'm the official photographer for the Theatre & Circus Fields. If you propose anywhere near my patch, I'll be happy to get some photos and share them with you, and I can almost guarantee that one will make the main Glastonbury Festival web galleries (if I do a good job, ha ha). Last festival I photographed a proposal on one of our outdoor stages, in front of something like 5000 people, it was a pretty memorable event (he was pretty sure she'd say yes ?). 

cg_thurs_1.jpg

@chasg I’ve sent you a message :)

On 5/29/2019 at 5:55 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

Public proposals are risky business. Maybe wait until Sunday so the weekend isn't ruined if it doesn't go as planned.

Does anyone actually propose and consider that the answer might be no? 

Edited by Dave_c

11 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

It does happen but by doing it in public you are adding pressure for that person to say yes, just to avoid embarrassment. 

That's a pretty risky strategy. If I felt like that I'd be questioning my relationship! 

I proposed in 2013 at Glastonbury -

I told her that I wanted to visit Glastonbury Tor, we got a pass out on the Wednesday and got the shuttle bus into Glastonbury Town.  When at the top - I sat her on this sundial thing and then did the whole down on one knee bit! 

She was completely surprised and (I was relieved that the ring fit her!)

We went back to the Town bought a bottle of Champagne in a bar - drank it and rang our families to share the news

Went back to the site and I basically told every person I saw all weekend we had just got engaged - everyone was lovely, people gave us drinks, shots, offered us drugs, hash cakes etc but mostly congratulations - It took forever to get across the site and I met up with the rest of our group in The Park and we had a big party. 

When we got back to the Campervan that night our mates had covered the whole area with bunting and flags - it was great.

4 days of celebrating including The Rolling Stones - it was epic!!!

We had the intimacy and relative privacy of the iconic Tor - and the benefit of celebrating with our mates for 4 days - some engagement party

2 minutes ago, JohnnyMilb said:

I proposed in 2013 at Glastonbury -

I told her that I wanted to visit Glastonbury Tor, we got a pass out on the Wednesday and got the shuttle bus into Glastonbury Town.  When at the top - I sat her on this sundial thing and then did the whole down on one knee bit! 

She was completely surprised and (I was relieved that the ring fit her!)

We went back to the Town bought a bottle of Champagne in a bar - drank it and rang our families to share the news

Went back to the site and I basically told every person I saw all weekend we had just got engaged - everyone was lovely, people gave us drinks, shots, offered us drugs, hash cakes etc but mostly congratulations - It took forever to get across the site and I met up with the rest of our group in The Park and we had a big party. 

When we got back to the Campervan that night our mates had covered the whole area with bunting and flags - it was great.

4 days of celebrating including The Rolling Stones - it was epic!!!

We had the intimacy and relative privacy of the iconic Tor - and the benefit of celebrating with our mates for 4 days - some engagement party

Aah, lovely story.

Likewise, proposed at the top of the Tor, but not during the festival, did it in a fallow year in March. Early (ish) in the morning when there was no-one around. 

?

Ok everyone, thanks for your help! So many great stories, so thanks for sharing. If anyone would like to come and celebrate we will be outside circus and New York brass band are going to give me a helping hand. Saturday eve at 20.20. It would be great to see some of you!

9 minutes ago, Tagsman said:

Ok everyone, thanks for your help! So many great stories, so thanks for sharing. If anyone would like to come and celebrate we will be outside circus and New York brass band are going to give me a helping hand. Saturday eve at 20.20. It would be great to see some of you!

ahhh congratulations! I had hinted to my partner Glastonbury would be a perfect place but I think he's missed the memo.

I hope it is wonderful and memorable for you both!