Proposing to my girlfriend at Glastonbury

Tagsman

I proposed at the last festival. We made a silver ring in the Craft Fields (which removed the element of surprise somewhat) and then I popped the question in a lovely quiet area of the Park (just where the BBC coverage looks out although that wasn’t on my mind at the time). We got married in April and are looking forward to our first Glasto as husband and wife :)

A mate of mine proposed down in Shangri-La on the Saturday night in 2017 when Ed Sheeran was headlining.

He is an artist and managed to bring in a stencil he had made and some spray paint.

Having got us to distract the missus for a bit with a wander around Shangri-La and then speaking with the security next to the queue of people waiting for free artwork to confirm it was ok, he sprayed painted "Will you marry me Rosie?" all over the wall that had all the posters on it!

She came back and saw the wall and obviously the rest is history! The posters having been changing all weekend at that point all said "Yes" all over them!

What made it even more of a special moment was the fact our group had separated earlier on watching different bands. The rest of the group completely unaware of what was going on or where we were happened to come round the corner just before it happened and we all hid and then surprised the couple afterwards! It turned into a massive celebration and is one of our groups top Glasto moments!

There's some pictures of the "Yes" posters here and a photo of the couple speaking with Pure Evil at the art desk who then put some custom writing on a poster for them afterwards! You can see my mate pointing to where he has just spray painted and proposed!...... https://www.theprivatepress.org/glastonbury-festival

Edited by hez

I proposed to my fiancee on the Thursday in 2017 near the big tree in the Pyramid field. I knew she didn't want a big crowd around so it was a very discreet proposal but (I think) she was happy! 

I wanted to get it out of the way on the Wednesday but it was so hot and everyone in our group was a bit grouchy.

We are getting married on the Saturday before this year's festival, and then heading to Glasto a few days after. 

Good luck! I'm sure it'll go well however you decide to do it!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

A bit risky but think I saw online that a couple did it during The XX in 2017 when "their favourite" song came on. 

If you do have a song that means a lot to both of you and it's likely to be played by that band/artist it's worth considering at least.

Though you will be surrounded by a crowd so might put her on the spot with lots of eyes watching you twos.

Yes, please beware of those around you. This proposal at The XX happened next to us, and still fragile from the Thursday night, half our lot were crying more than the newly engaged people. 

I'd say just pick a nice place with some meaning and don't invite a crowd to it. If I were asking someone to marry me I'd like to know they hadn't felt pressurised to say yes because of a huge crowd. Unless of course you've discussed it before and the yes is a formality, in which case go wild and do whatever you want. If you have a favourite small band that are playing the Wednesday or Thursday some of them are quite approachable on Twitter and might be able to help you out. 

5 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Is there anyone here who hasn't proposed at Glastonbury? This is turning into quite a I'm Spartacus! moment

I haven't... but I want to now!

Any willing participants? :rofl:

Edited by stuie

2 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

A bit risky but think I saw online that a couple did it during The XX in 2017 when "their favourite" song came on. 

If you do have a song that means a lot to both of you and it's likely to be played by that band/artist it's worth considering at least.

Though you will be surrounded by a crowd so might put her on the spot with lots of eyes watching you twos.

Are you sure that wasn’t 2018 in Belfast?? Lol ?

he dropped to one knee during angels...

we are going to Glastonbury on our honeymoon ????

3 hours ago, ian the worm said:

In 2013 a very nice man called Andrew came on the eFestivals forum and asked the very same question. 

I responded and organised this.....

We’re still in touch and I see the happy couple each year!

xx

This is amazing, I would love to organise something along these lines or outside on the hill

2 hours ago, Tagsman said:

This is amazing, I would love to organise something along these lines or outside on the hill

So, tell us about yourself and your other half. 

First Glasto? Where do you camp, favourite stages, which bands you looking forward to etc. 

How did you meet, how long you known each other. Any kids yet etc etc. 

I’m not sure if you were asking for ideas - plenty given - or for help. 

Mid it’s help you’re after, the above info will hopefully jerk someone here into helping along the lines of your likes and dislikes. 

xx

Edited by ian the worm

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but another ribbon tower proposal over here! My husband proposed to me at the top of the ribbon tower on the Thursday in 2017...he got me to stand facing away from him whilst he took a photo of me looking out over the festival and when I turned around he was down on one knee with a ring he'd been very calmly carrying around! It was early evening and although there were other people up there,  there was loads of space and we were in our own little world. We then were near the couple who got engaged at the XX so we went and gave them some very over excited "we also got engaged here" hugs. It's so nice to hear you're thinking of proposing at the festival @Tagsman...make sure you come back and tell us all how you got on.

6 hours ago, Homer said:

I semi-proposed in 2017, when I blurted out to my Kiwi ex that I loved her and we needed to figure out some way of being in the same country.

What I did (take note) was... get pissed and take MDMA with her for three days and then blurt it out in the naughty corner just after the Foo Fighters at the Truth Stage. How I got through to Sat night/Sun morning without saying it on that lot and at Glastonbury I'm not quite sure. We then watched Rat Boy.

We're still married, so feel free to use that template.

A tale as old as time

17 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Do it in the long drops

Are you proposing that the rest of us will be treated to seeing four feet in the one cubicle? Certainly can’t imagine what it would be like going down on one knee in there. If not then Best of luck finding two adjacent cubicles that are both clean.