Proposing to my girlfriend at Glastonbury

Tagsman

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

I semi-proposed in 2017, when I blurted out to my Kiwi ex that I loved her and we needed to figure out some way of being in the same country.

What I did (take note) was... get pissed and take MDMA with her for three days and then blurt it out in the naughty corner just after the Foo Fighters at the Truth Stage. How I got through to Sat night/Sun morning without saying it on that lot and at Glastonbury I'm not quite sure. We then watched Rat Boy.

We're still married, so feel free to use that template

You see, I prefer this spontaneous proposal rather than some planned event, inevitably in front of a huge crowd. Always feel that there's unfair pressure on the girl to say yes if you get down on one knee when everyone can see. It's almost forcing her to say yes.

That's just me though and I know nothing of the OP's relationship and even if they've discussed marriage.

If I was ever to propose, I can imagine having the ring on me for ages and just suddenly doing it somewhere quiet when it all felt right. 

Dragon would be a nice place. Always quiet, chance to be alone, pretty and a spot you can revisit anytime as its public access. Or that new wooded area, up in a tree house if you were alone.

Edited by Keithy
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

A bit risky but think I saw online that a couple did it during The XX in 2017 when "their favourite" song came on. 

If you do have a song that means a lot to both of you and it's likely to be played by that band/artist it's worth considering at least.

Though you will be surrounded by a crowd so might put her on the spot with lots of eyes watching you twos.

I was stood directly behind these people. Was really lovely but the cheering from their group for the next 5 mins ruined the song moment for a lot of angry people around them! (I was not one of these people as thought it was lovely, but it was Angels and was a vvv quiet moment)

There are always loads on the hill on the Weds/Thurs. I saw a guy ask if his gf and her mates wanted a pic so they all stood facing the sunset linking arms away from the hill. When she turned around angrily like 'why havent you taken it yet?!' he was stood there with all of their male friends holding signs saying will you marry me. Was proper nice.

My now husband proposed to me back in 2014 at the top of the Ribbon Tower on the Friday morning.

We waited until a fallow year to get married so we had something to look forward to.

We went with about 30 people but he took me off on my own to ask the question.

It was lovely & when he got on one knee I actually thought he was grabbing a drink after climbing all of those steps.

Everyone was really happy for us and it really was a lovely day.

When we returned to camp I couldn’t wait to tell everyone my news however they were already in on the surprise and gave a massive cheer as we got back and threw an amazing party all day for us.

Really was such an amazing place to celebrate.

image.png.d496eab0b393d70bc67fd089eb7f943d.png

**Funny story earlier that morning on our way to The Park my mum rang me from a strangers phone, spangled and exhausted as she’d been up all night and couldn’t find her tent.

I asked her where she was in order to help her find the tent and she responds between a blue and red tent. We spent a good few hours first trying to find my mum (a few helpful strangers helped her explain her location fully) & then her tent.

I had no idea my husband was about to propose and was taking everything in my stride but he was getting really sweaty and agitated – I thought it was out of genuine concern for my mum having no idea why he’d suggested an early morning visit up the Ribbon Tower, which I was in no way enthusiastic about after helping my mum find her tent all morning.

***I was also terrified of losing the ring so literally covered my finger in plasters for the remainder of the weekend as not to lose it down a long drop.

• Upvote 3

Don't put pressure on yourself to pick a place or time, just go with the flow. You'll know when the time is right.

Having said that I proposed to my wife at Glastonbury on the last night in the John Peel tent after the last band had finished. It was her first Glastonbury and I wanted to wait to see if she liked it, she said she loved it. So I asked her to come back next year as my wife. 

As for a ring, I brought a fork/spoon ring from one of the stalls that was made in the year she was born. I slipped away for half an hour on the Friday and hid it till Sunday. 

Good luck in all your future adventures as mr and mrs, marriage is ace! 

Oh if she didn't like Glastonbury i wasn't going to ask her, she still thinks I'm joking... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Homer said:

I semi-proposed in 2017, when I blurted out to my Kiwi ex that I loved her and we needed to figure out some way of being in the same country.

What I did (take note) was... get pissed and take MDMA with her for three days and then blurt it out in the naughty corner just after the Foo Fighters at the Truth Stage. How I got through to Sat night/Sun morning without saying it on that lot and at Glastonbury I'm not quite sure. We then watched Rat Boy.

We're still married, so feel free to use that template.

I like your style

incredible skills

13 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Always feel that there's unfair pressure on the girl to say yes if you get down on one knee when everyone can see. It's almost forcing her to say yes.

probably red rag to a bull for Mrs Q. More likely to turn around and say "No and I am sleeping with you Dad"

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

if you're both intending to see The Cure, "Lovesong" would surely be it. Ultimate together-for-eternity anthem, but just on the right side of cornball. 

Written by Bobby Smith to his bride-to-be in 1988 I believe, and they're still happily married. Worked for them, might work for you!

It's either that or The Fat White Family.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

Wait till she's in the longdrops and then just reach under the door, ring in hand. She won't be expecting it.

Jesus, I scan-read that at first and initially pictured some sort of shitty Excaliber Lady of the Longdrop dirty hand reaching up out of the bowl.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Can I just check this - Did Foo Fighters play a secret set that I missed?

I did wonder that.

But read it as:

"... in the naughty corner (just after the Foo Fighters) at the Truth Stage..."

Try not to be generic like every other case, oh and don't interrupt other people's festivals just so you can you enjoy your own ie not during a band's set or whatever.  Not everyone is obliged to give a f*** remember that! Good luck with it, and i am sure she will say yes.

1 minute ago, oldmagsy83 said:

Try not to be generic like every other case, oh and don't interrupt other people's festivals just so you can you enjoy your own ie not during a band's set or whatever.  Not everyone is obliged to give a f*** remember that! Good luck with it, and i am sure she will say yes.

"WHAT??!!!! Ohhhhh. Don't be like that! I was gonna propose at Glastonbury, my love, but I didn't want to ruin Idles...so I thought it'd be better if I did it at your sister's wedding reception" ?

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I did wonder that.

But read it as:

"... in the naughty corner (just after the Foo Fighters) at the Truth Stage..."

That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure. A late night set at that stage would be the kind of thing they'd do.

Best bit of advice I can think off, is don’t stress yourself out too much over it.

Everyone’s always trying to do it in a new and exciting way, trying not to be too cliché, but in the end it doesn’t really matter.

Your girlfriend really wont care about how you did it, you’ve just asked her to spend the rest of your life with you – She’ll be delighted no matter how you ask.

As long as you have the means and energy to celebrate at the best party in the world, you honestly could ask her in a long drop and she’d still be over the moon!!