Staying in town beforehand

MetaKate

Was about to start a similar thread!  This time we are going to stay in Glastonbury town arriving on Sunday prior to the festival. Normally we would drive from Scotland straight into the site early wed morning after a 475 mile drive. The return journey also knackering. So this time a few days in town, doing the touristy stuff. Trying not to drink very much but that plan might go tits up. An early drive from town to the festival on wed morning prior to worthy view opening up.

I was going to ask what the town is like pre festival. Been there another times and it’s been lively enough . 

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Was about to start a similar thread!  This time we are going to stay in Glastonbury town arriving on Sunday prior to the festival. Normally we would drive from Scotland straight into the site early wed morning after a 475 mile drive. The return journey also knackering. So this time a few days in town, doing the touristy stuff. Trying not to drink very much but that plan might go tits up. An early drive from town to the festival on wed morning prior to worthy view opening up.

I was going to ask what the town is like pre festival. Been there another times and it’s been lively enough . 

Town is good - lively and plenty of excitement

14 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I've never seen the Tor and all that good stuff, so this year I'm heading down Sunday morning and I'm going to spend a few days before the festival exploring the area, seeing the sites, etc. 

1st my plan is to get a taxi to site on Wednesday morning... I previously took the train and waiting for a shuttle at castle cary has been a bit of a shit show. 

From my understanding it seems like the taxi drops me off at Bath & West showgrounds.. what can I expect? Is it difficult to get there through festival traffic on the Wednesday morning coming from the west of the site? (I know it's on the East side) 

2nd I'm trying to fine tune my plans, so any suggestions or recommendations are welcome!

The Castle Cary shuttle buses run past B&W so both will be affected by the same festival traffic. The queues at CC can be huge though so the B&W bus may be quicker but this would depend on how many people have the same idea as you and how many shuttle buses they are using. There will be be a lot of people who are campervanning at B&W trying to get to the festival on Wednesday morning though, so the wait may be just as bad as at CC. If you can get a taxi or bus direct to the festival site I think this would be the best option.

1 hour ago, Kalopsia said:

If you want some good food for lunch please go to this cafe! It's my personal favourite. Also just outside of town is the Bocabar I'd recommend this also! 

https://rainbowsendcafe.com/

+1 for Rainbows End. Great value veggie and vegan grub, plus AMAZING cakes. Super friendly. Our go-to place in Glastonbury, along with 100 Monkeys.

1 hour ago, phillyfaddle said:

+1 for Rainbows End. Great value veggie and vegan grub, plus AMAZING cakes. Super friendly. Our go-to place in Glastonbury, along with 100 Monkeys.

Rainbows end = cake heaven ?

but don’t plan to move much after having a slice...

their Sunday dinner is also amazing and enormous ? ?

23 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Nah they've a strong constitution up in that part of the world. Loads of weed, bear meat and moose milk cocktails. 

I was walking through glastonbury a few Saturday's ago and at the bottom of the high street there was a "free the herb" type event complete with banners (and a bizarre picture of Maisie Williams) going on and stood right next to them were two jehovah's witnesses in full suits (it was a hot day) with their display stand.

It certainly made me smile. 

26 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I was walking through glastonbury a few Saturday's ago and at the bottom of the high street there was a "free the herb" type event complete with banners (and a bizarre picture of Maisie Williams) going on and stood right next to them were two jehovah's witnesses in full suits (it was a hot day) with their display stand.

It certainly made me smile. 

This is pretty normal for Glastonbury as is the note below ( Credit to Normal for Glastonbury and Mark from Glastonbury music shop for the image)

6B6CE6B8-1B9E-4EAB-A61A-C81D3D88EDCF.thumb.jpeg.6170a7da630a8da11b8bc2310c00d393.jpeg

I've done this last time and it was amazing. I had been to Glastonbury town the year before as well, but a few days after the festival. I would try to do it again if I ever get a ticket/come back. 

Fortunately, both times I went to the Tor we got incredible weather. Could not think of a better place to be during a summer sunset. I'll post some pictures if I can find them.

For getting to the festival, we tried taking the bus from the Abbey but we waited under the sun for more than an hour until we decided to split a cab with a couple of americans. We payed 5 pounds each which I thought was great value. We were at the queue within 20 minutes. 

6 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Rainbows end = cake heaven ?

but don’t plan to move much after having a slice...

their Sunday dinner is also amazing and enormous ? ?

Haha, so true. Yeah, always completely stuffed after their Sunday lunch.....nom nom.