Lack of Heritage Acts

CaledonianGonzo

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Been pondering this. You’ve got yer proper wrinkly 60s heritage acts right, The Stones, the Freddie & The Dreamers roadshow etc. You’ve got yer late 70s punk/post-punk acts, Blondie, the Cure, that shower. But in between that, who is there? I’m struggling to think of acts from, say, (and this is only roughly, don’t get all calendar geek on my arse) 1970-1977, like the big, fuck-off massive acts from those times who are still big/touring. There’s some solo artists, Carole King, James Taylor, but who are your big bands from that era? Slade, Bay City Rollers? Ain’t none of them still around, far as i can see.

Not around anymore or missing members. Jethro Tull are still touring, as are Queen, the Eagles, Clapton sort of, ELO played, Stevie Wonder too, Paul Simon, Barry Gibb, Neil Diamond, Kenny Rogers, Jackson Browne and Dolly too. 

Fleetwood Mac are the only potential headliner I can think of from that time period. Bill Joel/Diana Ross/Elton for the legends. 

11 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Been pondering this. You’ve got yer proper wrinkly 60s heritage acts right, The Stones, the Freddie & The Dreamers roadshow etc. You’ve got yer late 70s punk/post-punk acts, Blondie, the Cure, that shower. But in between that, who is there? I’m struggling to think of acts from, say, (and this is only roughly, don’t get all calendar geek on my arse) 1970-1977, like the big, fuck-off massive acts from those times who are still big/touring. There’s some solo artists, Carole King, James Taylor, but who are your big bands from that era? Slade, Bay City Rollers? Ain’t none of them still around, far as i can see.

One of the biggest bands from 70-77 era still touring would be The Eagles. Appearing around the country in June with a Saturday shaped hole but I suspect that they fit in with the Fleetwood Mac "we'll only do it for the money" category.

11 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Some bands that are still around from that era are Aerosmith, AC/DC, King Crimson, Journey, Van Halen, Foreigner, ELO, Kiss, the Mac etc. Either not really Glasto bands or too expensive i'd imagine. 

20 minutes ago, Mardy said:

index.jpeg

6 hours ago, karaseen said:

I want John Prine please.

I would have some of that - have to say. He is in the UK in September for sure. But he is touring the new album which might not bode so well.......?

6 hours ago, karaseen said:

I want John Prine please.

Would have been fantastic as an Acoustic headliner, but no, lets have Nick Lowe who hasn’t played since, oooh, 2015. The more i look at that Acoustic line-up, the more I think the bookers need sacking, or at the very least, a good kick up the arse. Actually, no, just a sacking. Fuck ‘em

A lot of those 70's into early 80's 'Raawk' bands make their living touring the US amphitheatres from late May into September. Big guitar riff music (you start with Led Zeppelin...) was always much bigger in the US with the big open highways, suburban culture, and the prevalence of rock-album-track radio stations (playing music non-stop, 24 hrs) for the car in every US city throughout the 70's, 80's and into the 90's (where it splintered into the 'alternative' stations vs. 'traditional/legacy/classic rock' stations) and all of those Van Halen, Journey, Cheap Trick, Styx, Heart, L. Sknyrnd, REO Speedwagon, Asia, Loverboy etc... types of acts have traditionally raked it in by having at least one original member in the band and then branding themselves as the same act that used to regularly shift million-plus of units in their prime on the Billboard charts, to the clueless ticket-buying public. Even the metal 80 bands (metal again, far far more commercially successful in US than in UK, with dozens of bands eventually able to tour 15,000 to 20,000 seaters across the country in their prime)  team up together on these 3-act tours to really rake it in, playing mostly 3-month tours of suburban outdoor 10,000 amphitheaters to 40-60 year olds who haven't bought an album since Van Halen's follow-up to OU812 didn't live up to par....

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Should have had: Kacey Musgraves 

Instead: Golden Oldies Tea and Biscuits Hour with a bloke who's best known for not being Mark Knopfler.

Kacey M is a Pyramid act all day long. A Golden Hour, indeed.

17 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

I would have some of that - have to say. He is in the UK in September for sure. But he is touring the new album which might not bode so well.......?

He is touring indeed, and it ain't cheap!! I saw him a couple of years back at the London Palladium front row. He and his band were fantastic!! I was the youngest by 30 years I think!  This new tour is rather expensive, but I will decide closer to the time.  

8 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Would have been fantastic as an Acoustic headliner, but no, lets have Nick Lowe who hasn’t played since, oooh, 2015. The more i look at that Acoustic line-up, the more I think the bookers need sacking, or at the very least, a good kick up the arse. Actually, no, just a sacking. Fuck ‘em

Fully agree.  Are you reading this Emily??  Then again I enjoyed Status Quo there in 2017!

3 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

all of those Van Halen, Journey, Cheap Trick, Styx, Heart, L. Sknyrnd, REO Speedwagon, Asia, Loverboy etc... types of acts have traditionally raked it in by having at least one original member in the band and then branding themselves as the same act that used to regularly shift million-plus of units in their prime on the Billboard charts, to the clueless ticket-buying public. 

Bobby-Blotzer-poster.jpg

?

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think I'm right in saying she actually played the Acoustic a few years back, albeit at a far less attractive stage in her career. Like Lizzo in the Pussy Parlure a few years back 

Yeah, 2014. Got to be honest, not heard of her back then. She seems to have exploded with this last album

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think I'm right in saying she actually played the Acoustic a few years back, albeit at a far less attractive stage in her career. Like Lizzo in the Pussy Parlure a few years back 

And it was wonderful, I remember the program notes likened her to an American Laura Marling.... Wasn’t exactly the feeling I got but she won me over quickly and been a fan ever since. Great to see the success Kacey has had since especially with Golden Hour