Lack of Heritage Acts

CaledonianGonzo

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's not really about my specific taste though - at least not entirely.

And as previously mentioned there are plenty of them touring who haven't been booked.

Bros released their hits before a lot of this year's attendees were born. Doesn't make them elder statesmen with long legacies.

Sure, plenty of acts about but a lot of have played in recent years, and others are charging big money to bolster their retirement funds. 

Bros wouldn’t be my choice either, but doubtless there are those of a certain age who would like to revisit a part of their youth. And that’s the thing with very many heritage acts - they’re about revisiting a part of their audiences’ lives. It’s not just that the bands are disappearing, the audience is too. I do suspect we’ll see more of the older acts in future years, but I also think we’ll see the overall balance shift to bands active 30-40 years ago rather than 50+. (Just writing 50+ brings it home what the problems are here.)

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

He goes by the name 'DJ Yoda' these days.  He's come on a bit since the 80s but the ethos is still there.

Aah, I sort of had it the back of my head that he was someone on the circuit these days but couldn't remember who. Had it narrowed down to himself and Mr. Scruff! 

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

I was in line and to the left of the guy with the green door. As each successive "song in the club style" appeared in the set and it dawned on the chap that he was going to be Green Doorless, his frustration was an object of much mirth.

I bumped into Green Door man later on .... he was still dragging it round with him. I said hello and praised him for his efforts but he trudged on moaning that it took him three days to make it and Shakey didn't play it.

5 minutes ago, Fishman said:

I bumped into Green Door man later on .... he was still dragging it round with him. I said hello and praised him for his efforts but he trudged on moaning that it took him three days to make it and Shakey didn't play it.

Not all heroes wear capes.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, august1 said:

Without reopening the can of worms. Probably links in to Emily's comments about old white bookers booking old white men.

Easier to get a gender balance with more current acts. 

I think that's a fair rationale actually - and to be clear I think the gender split has on the whole vastly improved this year's line up.

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Lynrid skynrid would be great.   Give them 45 minutes and they would have just enough time to play free bird as long as they cut short the guitar solo. 

Lynrid skynrid on the pymild.

As for cutting the Freebird solo short...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, musky said:

Sure, plenty of acts about but a lot of have played in recent years, and others are charging big money to bolster their retirement funds. 

Bros wouldn’t be my choice either, but doubtless there are those of a certain age who would like to revisit a part of their youth. And that’s the thing with very many heritage acts - they’re about revisiting a part of their audiences’ lives. It’s not just that the bands are disappearing, the audience is too. I do suspect we’ll see more of the older acts in future years, but I also think we’ll see the overall balance shift to bands active 30-40 years ago rather than 50+. (Just writing 50+ brings it home what the problems are here.)

I don't know if I agree with the revisiting youth part. I was born in the early 80's but I was proper excited to see the Who, the Rolling Stones and the Zombies. Most of the 90s acts I like I've already seen so wouldn't be that excited about. Did like Skunk Anansie and never saw them so if the festival booked them I'd be there (but doubt they'd be a draw to most people).

Though I did go through a teenage phase of listening to lots of 60s and 70s acts, which would have been when my parents music from when they were teenagers. If today's teenagers are listening to their parents music then I suppose they would like 80s music. Is the Cure actually a booking for the youngsters :o

34 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Lynrid skynrid would be great.   Give them 45 minutes and they would have just enough time to play free bird as long as they cut short the guitar solo. 

Not sure Sweet Home Alabama would go down well after last nights vote.?

A friend plays in the Springfields (which was Dusty Springfields band and includes Mike Hurst who was an original member.  I keep telling him they should try and get a slot on the Acoustic.  Anyone know who does the booking?

2 hours ago, rubick said:

Aah, I sort of had it the back of my head that he was someone on the circuit these days but couldn't remember who. Had it narrowed down to himself and Mr. Scruff! 

Dj yoda isnt jive bunny.

One of the Tidy Boys (Andy Pickles)  & trance DJ Les Hemstock were Jive Bunny.

15 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

They had a tremendous gig at the barrowland in Glasgow only last month. 

Yes, just had a look at the setlist - what an encore: All the way from Memphis, Saturday Kids , All the young Dudes

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This Ole House is more of a banger than Green Door though.

As I recall:

The green door had 'Jay-Z, I don't care about your 99 problems, I just want to know what's behind the green door' painted on it (he'd gone to a fair bit of effort).

When it became apparent at the end that he wasn't going to play it, he got 'Green Doored off' (similar to the Glastonbury Town Band, who once got 'Rolfed off' (not like that) by a huge, impatient Pyramid crowd).

He only played This Ole House and Julie. The rest was from his new album, which was tearing up the Scandinavian charts apparently.

2 minutes ago, tjamest said:

Yes, just had a look at the setlist - what an encore: All the way from Memphis, Saturday Kids , All the young Dudes

A sweaty all standing sell out gig in an iconic venue, and the support act was Alex Harvey’s guitarist Zal Clemenson. Talk about turning back the clock! 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

As I recall:

The green door had 'Jay-Z, I don't care about your 99 problems, I just want to know what's behind the green door' painted on it (he'd gone to a fair bit of effort).

When it became apparent at the end that he wasn't going to play it, he got 'Green Doored off' (similar to the Glastonbury Town Band, who once got 'Rolfed off' (not like that) by a huge, impatient Pyramid crowd).

He only played This Ole House and Julie. The rest was from his new album, which was tearing up the Scandinavian charts apparently.

It was a fire door. Geoff Capes would have been goosed carrying it around Worthy Farm for that shite.

Been pondering this. You’ve got yer proper wrinkly 60s heritage acts right, The Stones, the Freddie & The Dreamers roadshow etc. You’ve got yer late 70s punk/post-punk acts, Blondie, the Cure, that shower. But in between that, who is there? I’m struggling to think of acts from, say, (and this is only roughly, don’t get all calendar geek on my arse) 1970-1977, like the big, fuck-off massive acts from those times who are still big/touring. There’s some solo artists, Carole King, James Taylor, but who are your big bands from that era? Slade, Bay City Rollers? Ain’t none of them still around, far as i can see.