Lack of Heritage Acts

CaledonianGonzo

55 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just checked Avalon again.

I guess Steeleye Span count.

I have to say I saw them 2 years ago, the set was mainly newer material with around 3 songs from their heyday, I’d only consider seeing them again if I know it’s mainly the old stuff (Parcel of Rogues, Now We Are Six, Below The Salt albums eg).

The thing about heritage acts is that they are great as long as they play heritage songs, their bangers. Nothing worse than hearing those words ‘ the rest of our set is from our new album, our first for twenty years’!  Saw a heavy rock band called Uriah heep a few years ago. Used to love them. Everything was going great until they announced they would play the whole of their new album. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not that close to my birthday and not an *especially* an arbitrary date either.  There's a fair difference when you picture 70s music and 80s music, no? And a fair difference between, say, the heritage rock acts of the late 60s / early 70s and the hair-spray and John Peel sessions post-punkers that followed. 

Although age obviously does play into it.

Choosing 1980 is just another arbitrary date really. Pick any dates ten years apart and you’ll find musical differences, but plenty of continuity as well. The heritage rock acts of the early seventies were not so massively different to the NWOBHM acts of the early eighties. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The thing about heritage acts is that they are great as long as they play heritage songs, their bangers. Nothing worse than hearing those words ‘ the rest of our set is from our new album, our first for twenty years’!  Saw a heavy rock band called Uriah heep a few years ago. Used to love them. Everything was going great until they announced they would play the whole of their new album. 

Shakin Stevens did that years ago. Some poor bastard had made a life size green door and carried it down the front and he didn’t even play the song.

I can’t recall why I was there to witness it but never mind. Missed an open goal that day the Welsh Alvin Stardust. Very poor show.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

Shakin Stevens did that years ago. Some poor bastard had made a life size green door and carried it down the front and he didn’t even play the song.

I can’t recall why I was there to witness it but never mind. Missed an open goal that day the Welsh Alvin Stardust. Very poor show.

That set has went down in Glastonbury folklore  

8 hours ago, musky said:

Choosing 1980 is just another arbitrary date really. Pick any dates ten years apart and you’ll find musical differences, but plenty of continuity as well. The heritage rock acts of the early seventies were not so massively different to the NWOBHM acts of the early eighties. 

Marti Pellow fan, eh?

8 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That set has went down in Glastonbury folklore  

The worst thing ive ever seen. Eventually someone will win an Oscar for a movie performance of it like the Queen bio. Vic Reeves or summat.

Heritage acts, a real gamble to go see, can ruin your appreciation of them, or reaffirm your devotion. Biggest Glastonbury disappointment for me was Paul Simon ( he was unwell, I know).

lesser of a gamble, I hope to see Bananarama - if you can call them heritage - and as I never really liked them I’m not going to be devastated if they’re awful.

8 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The worst thing ive ever seen. Eventually someone will win an Oscar for a movie performance of it like the Queen bio. Vic Reeves or summat.

There's still something in me that gets slightly irate over that utter debacle.

WTF was he thinking?

Full lineup may have some further heritage acts to bump the criteria up a bit. A few bookings like Lynyrd Skynyrd or the like would help. We aren't likely to get any like Plant this year it seems.

Sad times when Snow Patrol and Keane are classed as older acts. Even Kylie's pop career was bigger at the turn of the century than before it and she's classed as the legend. Don't get me wrong though i'll be there with bells on to see Kylie, I just think it's the sign of change. Next year we may see one of the ultimate heritage acts with Elton though, couple that with Macca.....

Edited by Doug85

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

There's still something in me that gets slightly irate over that utter debacle.

WTF was he thinking?

I could barely hear Shakey slur through the set over my brother in law laughing himself inside out at how appalling the whole mess was.

Just now, Wooderson said:

I could barely hear Shakey slur through the set over my brother in law laughing himself inside out at how appalling the whole mess was.

For some reason I'd dragged the kids to that too. They were utterly nonplussed, but found it hilarious when the piss taking from the crowd began.

I seem to recall us being really near the guy with the green door; and him looking fuckin' proper cheesed off. Imagine going to the effort of making then lugging that all the way to G.

The fact that door looked a bit flaccid after he waved it about for a bit seemed a good metaphor for the entire abomination. 

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

In centuries to come druids will gather at Stonehenge for the summer solstice and speak in hushed tones of the strange man from the land of the dragon who spoke nothing of the green portal. 

• Upvote 2

I'm a bit late to this moaning party, but I agree, there does seem to be a lack of heritage acts. I was looking forward to the country heritage act: where is my Willie Nelson or Kris Kristofferson or Kenny Rogers??  Could it be that there are still more BIG acts to be announced since the initial poster did not have as many acts listed as previous years?

With each poster reveal it seems less and less likely.

I want John Prine please.

14 minutes ago, Woffy said:

For some reason I'd dragged the kids to that too. They were utterly nonplussed, but found it hilarious when the piss taking from the crowd began.

I seem to recall us being really near the guy with the green door; and him looking fuckin' proper cheesed off. Imagine going to the effort of making then lugging that all the way to G.

The fact that door looked a bit flaccid after he waved it about for a bit seemed a good metaphor for the entire abomination. 

I was in line and to the left of the guy with the green door. As each successive "song in the club style" appeared in the set and it dawned on the chap that he was going to be Green Doorless, his frustration was an object of much mirth.

Edited by Wooderson

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

He didn't play the Christmas song either did he?

No. It was the worst gig ever and had he finished with that, even when all hope of the green door had faded, all would have been forgiven.

Speaking of past heritage acts was I the only one that went to Blondie with no idea Debbie Harrie couldn't sing and found it actually painful to listen to she was so off key?

Re. this year I've just discovered Shagrat, mainly because the stupid name piqued my curiosity. They are a 70s rock band, formed by Steve Peregrine Took (who was also in Tyrannosaurus Rex) & the guitarist was also in an early incarnation of Motorhead. They are playing Croissant Neuf. No idea what the current lineup is though, Took passed away in 1980 so definitely wont be original front man.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Marti Pellow fan, eh?

?

Pretty far from it actually. :)

What I was really trying to point out was the phrase ‘heritage act’ covers a vast array of genres, most of which probably won’t be to your taste. The trick is to find more current acts that hit the spot, mainly because they aren’t making anymore 70s heritage acts.