The flavoured Vodka (spirits) thread

GoonerRob

1 minute ago, Barneym said:

Mars bars and vodka works well, I think it was this forum that gave me the idea and I’ve taken it to the last 2. Might try something Different this year but probably need to get a move on

Do the Mars dissolve or does it need to be filtered/strained? 

14 minutes ago, Spiritdesire said:

Thinking of making a salted caramel/worthers/mars bar style vodka this year. I’ve never done it before though. 
Can I just ask anyone who’s done a vodka like that in the past, do you drink it with a mixture and if so what? 

Done the werthers  before, it’s really good. Pour some vodka in a glass to leave space. Crush some werthers and add to the vodka. Shake and add to the top shelf of a dishwasher and put it through a cycle without any tablet. The heat melts the sweets and it all mixes with the vodka, it’s really simple. Works with any boiled sweet. 
We drink the werthers neat but you can mix with lemonade or something if you want. 

9 minutes ago, Skelts said:

Done the werthers  before, it’s really good. Pour some vodka in a glass to leave space. Crush some werthers and add to the vodka. Shake and add to the top shelf of a dishwasher and put it through a cycle without any tablet. The heat melts the sweets and it all mixes with the vodka, it’s really simple. Works with any boiled sweet. 
We drink the werthers neat but you can mix with lemonade or something if you want. 

Thanks Skelts! Unfortunately I don’t have a dishwasher but I’m sure I’ll find another way of doing it. I’m guessing mixing it with coke would make it a bit like Vanilla Coke (remember that!)

4 minutes ago, Spiritdesire said:

Thanks Skelts! Unfortunately I don’t have a dishwasher but I’m sure I’ll find another way of doing it. I’m guessing mixing it with coke would make it a bit like Vanilla Coke (remember that!)

if you do it a good bit in advance and give it a shake every so often it also works .... i seived mine by passing it through a jay cloth and funnel 

58 minutes ago, Skelts said:

47 minutes ago, Spiritdesire said:

42 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

if you do it a good bit in advance and give it a shake every so often it also works .... i seived mine by passing it through a jay cloth and funnel 

I did it a few weeks ago by just putting werthers in the jar, 700 ml of vodka and left it. Shake every 2 hours if possible (website guide said) although i did like 3-5 hours maybe + slept and it was done in about 48 hours. No need for a dishwasher

Edited by gfa

I've got a bourbon pumpkin pie one I made for 2020.  Loads of nutmeg and cinnamon, with the vanilla of the bourbon underpinning it, and the pumpkin adding sweetness.  I am amazed I've managed to leave it alone (mainly).

My son did a vodka harribo cherry with scotch bonnet one the same year.  We took the chillies out after a couple of days and it was bloody hot.  It's aged into something of a monster, with a lovely sweetness, followed by a searing heat...  certainly an interesting one.   Will probably make another one starting next month

Edited by Greenelk

48 minutes ago, gfa said:

I did it a few weeks ago by just putting werthers in the jar, 700 ml of vodka and left it. Shake every 2 hours if possible (website guide said) although i did like 3-5 hours maybe + slept and it was done in about 48 hours. No need for a dishwasher

Oh cool so did you just keep shaking sporadically till they had all dissolved? Sounds easy enough!

thanks for the advice all!

9 minutes ago, Spiritdesire said:

Oh cool so did you just keep shaking sporadically till they had all dissolved? Sounds easy enough!

thanks for the advice all!

yep pretty much! tastes delicious - i got recommended to add some soft toffee in too but didn't see it in time so hopefully you see this 🙂 

I've done quite a few sweets flavoured ones over the years, and said I would not do again, as they can be a bit sickly after the first day.  The werthers was good, but the lemon sherbet and the acid drops were too much after a few sips.

I have a stash of flavoured ciroc vodka - as I find this the best out there, but am tempted to make some concoctions again after reading this thread again.  May try the pineapple tequila.