The flavoured Vodka (spirits) thread

GoonerRob

On 5/16/2019 at 3:52 PM, Greenelk said:

let me know how it turns out

Dude! You legend. Thanks so much for the recipe. Just finished the infusion. It’s pretty damn good. So easy to do too. Muslin cloth worked a treat.. Taking it to Bearded Theory tomorrow. I’m so pleased with it. Just wondering do you add a mixer to it, or do it as shots? The latter is winning at the moment

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Perks said:

Dude! You legend. Thanks so much for the recipe. Just finished the infusion. It’s pretty damn good. So easy to do too. Muslin cloth worked a treat.. Taking it to Bearded Theory tomorrow. I’m so pleased with it. Just wondering do you add a mixer to it, or do it as shots? The latter is winning at the moment

Oh ace! I’ve bought all the ingredients to do this at the weekend! Have you tasted yours? Did you filter out all the pineapple? I’ve bought metal shot glasses for Glasto!! 

1 hour ago, Perks said:

glad it's good.  We did it as shots, but a small amount of mixer is also pretty amazing (and slightly less lethal).

47 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Oh ace! I’ve bought all the ingredients to do this at the weekend! Have you tasted yours? Did you filter out all the pineapple? I’ve bought metal shot glasses for Glasto!! 

Yeah filtered out the pineapple using a muslin cloth, got it from the market. Worked a treat. Was really easy. It’s a great infusion, I only infused for a week and it’s great. Yeah shots I think it’s gotta be

15 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

glad it's good.  We did it as shots, but a small amount of mixer is also pretty amazing (and slightly less lethal).

Cheers, will defo be doing it again. Shots it is. Why not. Looks like tomorrow is going to be a very messy Thursday ?

On 5/14/2019 at 2:48 PM, JoBalls said:

I’ve got kiwi, raspberry, mango and orange on the go this year... not tried kiwi or mango before so hoping they turn out alright!!

4C48B301-3A43-43DF-8680-BB881D62D580.jpeg

An update on the mango one - the fruit started going brown so I had to replace it with some fresh mango. It doesn’t seem to be infusing that well either, it smells good but still tastes like plain vodka. 

Think I’m going to give it a week and then make an executive decision about whether to introduce some additional fruit to add to the flavour. Maybe a passion fruit...

8 hours ago, JoBalls said:

An update on the mango one - the fruit started going brown so I had to replace it with some fresh mango. It doesn’t seem to be infusing that well either, it smells good but still tastes like plain vodka. 

Think I’m going to give it a week and then make an executive decision about whether to introduce some additional fruit to add to the flavour. Maybe a passion fruit...

If it still doesn’t pick up any flavour you can cheat and use a few drops of mango essence, it’s more of an artificial taste though. 

12 hours ago, JoBalls said:

Ah I was just about to do a Mango one... from the flavours you have which is best? (I already have strawberry)

10 hours ago, GoonerRob said:

Ah I was just about to do a Mango one... from the flavours you have which is best? (I already have strawberry)

At the moment the raspberry and the orange are both incredible, but I don’t want to overlook the kiwi - it seems to be taking on the flavour and colour much more slowly than the others but it smells absolutely incredible. 

The mango has also done a complete turnaround since I replaced the fruit - it’s gone a gorgeous colour and tasting much more mangoey. 

On 5/23/2019 at 11:14 PM, JoBalls said:

At the moment the raspberry and the orange are both incredible, but I don’t want to overlook the kiwi - it seems to be taking on the flavour and colour much more slowly than the others but it smells absolutely incredible. 

The mango has also done a complete turnaround since I replaced the fruit - it’s gone a gorgeous colour and tasting much more mangoey. 

I've gone with mango and an orange and peach... will see what happens! Thanks

On 5/22/2019 at 11:24 PM, Greenelk said:

Just started mine off too, sounds like it’s going in my hip flask! Quick question, what do you do with the pineapple after, is it edible (and full of tequila) or just minging and fit for the bin?

How do I go about doing this?
- buy water bottles, empty said water bottles
- buy a few litres vodka
- buy some fruit or sweets
- pour vodka & ingredients in bottle
- leave a couple days
- jobs a good un?

Do you filter the stuff out or keep it in and if so how do you filter it?
How long do you leave fermenting for?

Thanks

On 5/25/2019 at 12:31 PM, Skelts said:

Just started mine off too, sounds like it’s going in my hip flask! Quick question, what do you do with the pineapple after, is it edible (and full of tequila) or just minging and fit for the bin?

I don't know this from experience, but someone else said about blueberries "do not be tempted to eat them - they're gross". Not sure if pineapple will be the same...you could give it a lick first and see?

Tbh, my blueberries looked pretty gross after they'd been in vodka for a couple of weeks

13 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

How do I go about doing this?
- buy water bottles, empty said water bottles
- buy a few litres vodka
- buy some fruit or sweets
- pour vodka & ingredients in bottle
- leave a couple days
- jobs a good un?

Do you filter the stuff out or keep it in and if so how do you filter it?
How long do you leave fermenting for?

Thanks

If you're going for sweets, yep, that's pretty much it.  If you need to speed it up, you can put in a glass bottle, and put it in the dishwasher, which will help dissolve the sweets quicker.

Depending on the type of sweet, you may not need to filter, but it certainly doesn't do any harm, and some people find any residue nasty.

If you've got the ingredients, you can make them anytime between now and the festival. With fruits, herbs and spices, it really depends on what you're doing.  There are loads of good websites with recipes and techniques for those sort of infusions.  My mind has gone blank though, so just google "infused alcohol recipes" for a start

EDIT - Just remembered a good one - Boozed & Infused

Edited by Greenelk
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

My Pineapple Vanilla Tequila has been infusing for 3 days @Greenelk! Can’t wait to try it, will report back next week. 

I’m just waiting for my delivery of metal shot glasses too ??.

Did ours on the weekend too. Next debate will be neat or mixed. Neat might be dangerous! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Did ours on the weekend too. Next debate will be neat or mixed. Neat might be dangerous! 

It will be dangerous! However, that’s what it’s for - for those times (possibly a bit later on in the day/night/dawn) when danger is exactly what you’re after.

If I want a nice long refreshing drink during the daytime I’ll just make myself a vodka tonic ?.

• Upvote 1

Can confirm that strawberry, raspberry and mint is delicious.... Mango seems to work well with super ripe mangos (soft to squeeze) and the orange and peach also worked really well. 

Seem the rule with fruit is it needs to be really ripe to get the best flavour. Will try and upload a picture in a bit. The colours are awesome.