The flavoured Vodka (spirits) thread

GoonerRob

Morning all! 

Just put my first bottle of flavoured vodka on to steep for a few weeks, I've gone with fresh strawberries, raspberries and fresh mint leaves. 

Only been mixing one day and the strawberries have already lost their colour and the vodka is bright red, can't wait to try it. 

Going to do 2-3 bottles for the weekend - anyone recommend any other recipes?

8 minutes ago, AbeFroman said:

Do you normally just drink this stuff straight or mix it? And what bottle are you using, are we allowed to take glass into the festival?

I made lemon sherbet and pear drop vodka last time and just drunk it straight, did get a bit sickly after a while as it was so sweet, no glass allowed, just take it in plastic bottles.   

Charm x

39 minutes ago, AbeFroman said:

Do you normally just drink this stuff straight or mix it? And what bottle are you using, are we allowed to take glass into the festival?

Plastic bottles and i'll probably drink with lemonade so i don't get completely smashed.

I've done Blueberry, beetroot and ginger this year.  Only left the beetroot in for a very short while, and have replaced the blueberries once, so it's a strong fruit taste with a hint of beetroot and ginger.

Plum vodka has been a winner in the past

Apple Pie bourbon is also good (decent apples, cinnamon and cloves)

4 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

I've done Blueberry, beetroot and ginger this year.  Only left the beetroot in for a very short while, and have replaced the blueberries once, so it's a strong fruit taste with a hint of beetroot and ginger.

Plum vodka has been a winner in the past

Apple Pie bourbon is also good (decent apples, cinnamon and cloves)

Beetroot and ginger sounds interesting. Have you tried it yet?

Has anyone ever made coffee liqueur? I’m mildly allergic to caffeine so was debating making a decaf one for White Russians (buying the milk there of course) recipe I found is basically cold brew, sugar and rum but any tips would be great.  Also if I make this now will it keep or am I better doing it nearer the time so the coffee is fresher?

thanks

59 minutes ago, CeriG said:

I've done gin with raspberries and blueberries. First time of trying so will let you know if it works okay ?

Are you going to put them in the same drink? I was thinking either or, but then thought maybe the combo would be nice!

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Are you going to put them in the same drink? I was thinking either or, but then thought maybe the combo would be nice!

Yeah have put them in the same drink. Not sure if I need to squish them a bit more?

berries.jpg

42 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

Sloe gin made with sloes picked on Worthy Farm last October. Can confirm: DELISH!!!!

I also made Worthy Farm sloe & blackberry gin, but am afraid that was even DELISHER, so has already been drunk. I have no willpower ?

I've got sloe gin on the go made with Worthy Farm sloes!! I'll decant some for this year :) 

Also in the past I've made pineapple gin, that takes about 3 months to steep though. Strawberry or raspberry gin is nice, and is ready in a few days. I usually drink it neat but it is nice with lemonade too. 

Love a bit of flavoured gin, I'm going to get some on the go at the weekend! 

34 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Got some toffee vodka on the go, once the sweets are all desolved I water it down by half, so one litre of voddy makes 2 litres of toffee vodka. Saves you getting too plastered too quickly and takes the cheap vodka edge off. 

I never thought to water it down!

1 hour ago, tarw said:

Beetroot and ginger sounds interesting. Have you tried it yet?

Those are combined with the blueberries.  Yes, tried it yesterday (it's been infusing for a couple of months now), and it's tasting pretty good!

38 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Sherbet lemon vodka was the nicest I’ve made, so will probably do that again.

anyone ever flavoured any tequila?

My friend makes an incredible pineapple and vanilla tequila, smooth and deadly!  Can get the details from him if you're interested?

1 hour ago, Greenelk said:

Those are combined with the blueberries.  Yes, tried it yesterday (it's been infusing for a couple of months now), and it's tasting pretty good!

My friend makes an incredible pineapple and vanilla tequila, smooth and deadly!  Can get the details from him if you're interested?

Very interested, thanks!

2 hours ago, TKOCF said:

Had Werther’s Original infused Vodka at Reading last year: tasted lovely but everyone around me kept calling me an old man. I’m 20. 

I've also done the Werther's one, added 50g of dark chocolate too. Was great a drinkable straight but maybe book the dentists for when you get back from the festival...