Ticket refund

David756

10 minutes ago, AnyGlastoTickets? said:

That makes no sense. So you’d turn someone who’s paid for a ticket, which would in turn keep the festival afloat, but would try to buy one that isn’t you. If someone wants to pay £500-1000 for a ticket that should be there choice and jobsworths like you shouldn’t be able to take the joy away from ‘the best festival in the world’ as someone said earlier

Makes perfect sense to me? People can already pay thousands for a ticket if they want. There's hospitality oprions that offer this. 

The point people are making in this thread is that if it was a free ticket sale tickets would likely be close to 1000 pounds. You can dispute that if you want with ill thought out points like bombfrog but it's basic economics. Emily Eavis confirmed on twitter that over 1,000,000 people were registered for tickets this year and theres only 135,000 on offer thats a bit under a 10:1 ratio in supply and demand. Maybe it wouldn't be 1000 pounds but theyd cost a fortune.

The bottom line is that 99.9per cent of people who apply for tickets are desperate to go to the festival. They get lucky in the sale and get to go to the best festival in the world. If these tickets were sold differently and were allowed to be resold there would be a massive increase in applications mainly from those whose sole interest is to make a profit by reselling. 

I’ve had family and friends drop out last minute in years passed and gave their ticket to other close family or friends who have been desperate to go. I don’t think anyone ever had trouble getting in either.

Personally if I were working on the gate I don’t think I could turn someone away for using someone else’s ticket because I myself love the festival, and understand the lengths people may go to to make sure they’re there come June. 

Being in high spirits arriving to the festival and just wanting to enjoy myself for 5 days I don’t think I would even consider turning someone away the more I think about it. You go to Glastonbury to escape for a few days, and if someone’s made the journey and effort to get themselves down to the festival then by all means make the most of it when you’re there.

• Upvote 3

You'd have to be a cold hearted bastard alright but anyone who buys a ticket like that must know there is a big risk involved and it should't come as much of a surprise if they get turned away. They're chancing their arm and they know it. That'd be my attitude if it were me anyway.

4 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

Personally if I were working on the gate I don’t think I could turn someone away for using someone else’s ticket because I myself love the festival, and understand the lengths people may go to to make sure they’re there come June. 

Being in high spirits arriving to the festival and just wanting to enjoy myself for 5 days I don’t think I would even consider turning someone away the more I think about it. You go to Glastonbury to escape for a few days, and if someone’s made the journey and effort to get themselves down to the festival then by all means make the most of it when you’re there.

Out of upvotes but I couldn't agree with this more.

Whatever you think about reselling tickets and whether or not you'd be brave enough to go with someone elses ticket... It's worth remembering that the people working on the gates have volunteered to do so and have given up their own time to be a part of the festival. I don't think that a steward flagging something up when the photo on the ticket clearly doesn't match the person with the ticket makes them cold hearted or not funny at parties. It makes them someone who has volunteered to work a position and is doing so with accordance of the rules in exchange for entry themselves. Why would they be expected to do anything to jeopardize that. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

I’ve had family and friends drop out last minute in years passed and gave their ticket to other close family or friends who have been desperate to go. I don’t think anyone ever had trouble getting in either.

I have to agree with this. I do appreciate why the rule is in place but in all honesty I think I'd be the same, probably another reason why I couldn't (and shouldn't) do that particular job. I'd suck at it.

I'd hate to be responsible for turning someone away knowing how much it means to them, notwithstanding the fact that it would be a terrible waste of a ticket.

Does anyone know of anyone who's been turned away in the past? Do they confiscate the ticket? I remember seeing a photo of a load of people scammed with fake tickets from a couple years ago but that's a different story.

Put like this... Let someone in on a ticket that blatantly isn't theirs and they turn out to be a mystery shopper... That's the steward potentially losing their own place at the festival, their £250 deposit and not being allowed to volunteer in the future. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Whatever you think about reselling tickets and whether or not you'd be brave enough to go with someone elses ticket... It's worth remembering that the people working on the gates have volunteered to do so and have given up their own time to be a part of the festival. I don't think that a steward flagging something up when the photo on the ticket clearly doesn't match the person with the ticket makes them cold hearted or not funny at parties. It makes them someone who has volunteered to work a position and is doing so with accordance of the rules in exchange for entry themselves. Why would they be expected to do anything to jeopardize that. Just my opinion.

Indeed.  Any individual who chooses to take the risk - fill yer boots.  Anyone who tries to shame the people who work the gates for doing what they've been asked to - get stuffed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I didn't realise that the people working the gates were doing it out of the goodness of their own hearts.

Just now, bombfrog said:

I didn't realise that the people working the gates were doing it out of the goodness of their own hearts.

The point is they are not, they are doing it because they want to be at the best festival in the world as well. If they let people in who do not look like the ticket they jeopardise their own ability to go to the festival as well. I'd argue that putting someone in that position isn't very nice either. The mystery shoppers definitely exist I've spoken to Oxfam volunteers who are scared and worried about it hence why I was made to sweat even when going in with my own ticket. 

23 minutes ago, jyoung said:

people working on the gates have volunteered to do so and have given up their own time to be a part of the festival.

23 minutes ago, jyoung said:

It makes them someone who has volunteered to work a position.

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I literally didn't even come close to saying that, brainiac.

You certainly seem to be implying it. Brainiac.

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

You certainly seem to be implying it. Brainiac.

Are you okay?

I said "It makes them someone who has volunteered to work a position and is doing so with accordance of the rules in exchange for entry themselves. Why would they be expected to do anything to jeopardize that."

If you only quote the first half of my sentence and choose to ignore the red part you are clearly trying to change the narrative of what I am pointing out to suit your own weird agenda against something I clearly was not suggesting.

Very strange.

Edited by jyoung
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Are you okay?

I said "It makes them someone who has volunteered to work a position and is doing so with accordance of the rules in exchange for entry themselves. Why would they be expected to do anything to jeopardize that."

If you only quote the first half of my sentence and choose to ignore the red part you are clearly trying to change the narrative of what I am pointing out...

Your use of the word volunteer was the bit that I was quoting for emphasis. Correct me if I'm wrong but when you say....

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Whatever you think about reselling tickets and whether or not you'd be brave enough to go with someone elses ticket... It's worth remembering that the people working on the gates have volunteered to do so and have given up their own time to be a part of the festival.

... it certainly sounds to me like you're suggesting that we should cut them some slack becuase they are somehow doing something altruistic, which is not the case. They're doing it for a free ticket.

A seperate issue is whether people working the gate should send somebody away who has spent a lot of money on their ticket, kit, travel etc. presumably because they have taken the ticket from somebody who couldn't go for some reason and would otherwise have lost a lot of money due to GFLs no-refund/no-transfer policy which I still think is absolutely disgusting, despite the fact that many on here seem to think that those people are fine collateral damage in the fight against the touts.

I feel we would disagree on the second point, but don't assume I'm somehow trying to "change the narrative" of what you were saying. I'm pretty sure I understood exactly the point you were trying to make.

Edited by bombfrog

35 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Exactly.

35 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Exactly.

Don’t really want to get involved in an online spat here, but @jyoung was pretty clear with what he said, that they were not doing it out of charity, however it is quite a bit of time, and all he Gate staff I have met have been terrific. They kindly asked for proof of age for my daughter first time, as she was only 12 therefore free, and told her she was going to have the time of her life once they had viewed it. They’re doing a job, and anything that makes the lines run smoother is my aim. Therefore I don’t think it’s fair trying to get in on someone else’s ticket. Despite seemingly innocuous, you put Gate staff in an awkward position, and you hold up the queues for everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hurdy said:

Put like this... Let someone in on a ticket that blatantly isn't theirs and they turn out to be a mystery shopper... That's the steward potentially losing their own place at the festival, their £250 deposit and not being allowed to volunteer in the future. 

This would be my reasoning too,  all gate  volunteers run this risk of being mystery shopped, why should they make such a calculated risk for a stranger?  

As I said before, the people who are trying to get in are not the touts, they're people who love the festival and have paid a lot of money for ticket, travel, kit etc. They're just like you and me (except they weren't lucky like we were to get a ticket on T-day).

So, turn those people away or risk losing your own ticket by letting them in? What a horrible situation to be in. A situation caused by GFL's no refund/no transfer policy.

Of course, yo umight argue that the person should have just not bought the ticket and should wait until next year. Fine, so we're back to somebody losing £250 and a space at the festival which could be taken by one of the desperate people on the reseale thread.

How some of you are defending this policy is absolutely beyond me.

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

As I said before, the people who are trying to get in are not the touts, they're people who love the festival and have paid a lot of money for ticket, travel, kit etc. They're just like you and me (except they weren't lucky like we were to get a ticket on T-day).

So, turn those people away or risk losing your own ticket by letting them in? What a horrible situation to be in. A situation caused by GFL's no refund/no transfer policy.

Of course, yo umight argue that the person should have just not bought the ticket and should wait until next year. Fine, so we're back to somebody losing £250 and a space at the festival which could be taken by one of the desperate people on the reseale thread.

of course we're defending it. A small number of people being turned away (when they knew the risks) vs a huge number of us being ripped off for an extra what £500, £1000, or simply being priced out completely?

Most people have said they would prefer a third way, with some kind of ticket exchange in place, but you seem to be in a minority of 1 in saying that touts should be given a free reign.

Edited by uscore
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Like talking to a brick wall hahahahah! I'm done :D

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, uscore said:

of course we're defending it. A small number of people being turned away (when they knew the risks) vs a huge number of us being ripped off for an extra what £500, £1000, or simply being priced out completely?

Most people have said they would prefer a third way, with some kind of ticket exchange in place, but you seem to be in a minority of 1 in saying that touts should be given a free reign.

Our survey says.....

bygraves_duhduhh.jpg

Try reading my comments again.

I'd much prefer a third way, but I did say at one point that the touts didn't particularly bother me, and have repeated that I don't think prices would be anywhere near what people fear if the current system didn't exist. Quoting figures you've pulled out of your arse like £500 or £1000 is infantile. I'd be interested to hear how much theaverage person paid for their tickets when touts operated before the system was put in place. I don't remember me or any of my big group of friends ever paying over the odds and I doubt the touts actually got that many tickets or managed to sell them for anywhere near the markup people think they would. You'll see a few trying to shift them for silly money but that only works for a few rich idiots.