Ticket refund

David756

Just now, Woffy said:

Someone's going to say "Let the market decide" in a minute. I can fucking feel it.

That was essentially bombfrog's initial argument.  That touts exist because the tickets are too cheap.  The implication being that touts are the invisible hand of market correction.  Then after a while, and the pointing out that the photo ID has got rid of most of the touting, the argument seemed to move more towards it being more moral to sell tickets at a high price to raise money for the charities.

• Like 1

Hi guys, very long time lurker here and finally thought I’d make an account! I know it’s a long shot and might not be allowed on the forum and I apologise if it’s not, but me and 2 others have been unsuccessful for tickets 4 years on the run now and the other 15 people in our group got tickets and we never. If anybody hears of any tickets, preferably 2 boys and 1 girl, it would be amazing and my dream would come true.

Thank you all, enjoy Glastonbury if you’ve got a ticket! 

1 hour ago, incident said:

Yes. If you can't see that as being screwed over, then we're going to fundamentally disagree.

In the process, you're going to price out a lot of others, and massively narrow the demographics attending the festival when if anything it needs widening.

True, for me the main issue would be if the resale of tickets, ie touting, was allowed then there would be a flood of folk buying tickets for the sole purpose of reselling them at an obscene profit. The current system prevents this. The sale day in October would be even more of a lottery than it is now. 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Can you imagine the scramble for tickets in October if people knew they could easily sell them for double what they paid? Be full of people with no intention of going looking to make an easy £250+. The current system is as good as it could be and I for one am thankful for it 

It would be like record store day on steroids!! The worst thing is touts are able to invest in technology to help them as they intend doing it for multiple events or else staff at ticketing companies start reserving things for themselves behind the scenes with the express purpose of touting them. 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

It would be like record store day on steroids!! The worst thing is touts are able to invest in technology to help them as they intend doing it for multiple events or else staff at ticketing companies start reserving things for themselves behind the scenes with the express purpose of touting them. 

True, touts are well organised with technology, contacts in the industry and ticket sellers. It’s all pre sales etc now. Even outside gigs there are touts buying and selling  tickets.  Glasto does it right. 

Out of interest (and please don’t think I want ticket prices to go up or for the current system to change) at what price do people think it would still sell out in the usual time. Personally I think anything below £500 would still easily sell out

I do get the issue with not being able to get a refund after the first weekend of May; seven weeks out from the festival it’s still possible that something could crop up that would prevent you from going, and as someone has said the protection insurance is quite limiting about what they will accept. They should just allow refunds right up until a week before gates open - condition of refund is that you have to post your tickets back by recorded post (so you can’t claim a refund and try and use them) and you lose your delivery/admin fee.

And then on the Sunday before the fest they should have a final resale. IMAGINE the joy of getting tickets right at the last minute...

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Out of interest (and please don’t think I want ticket prices to go up or for the current system to change) at what price do people think it would still sell out in the usual time. Personally I think anything below £500 would still easily sell out

I reckon a grand for two tickets would still sell out. Basically a five day self catering holiday with top music and parties every night. 

But ssssshhhhhh! 

16 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

I do get the issue with not being able to get a refund after the first weekend of May; seven weeks out from the festival it’s still possible that something could crop up that would prevent you from going, and as someone has said the protection insurance is quite limiting about what they will accept. They should just allow refunds right up until a week before gates open - condition of refund is that you have to post your tickets back by recorded post (so you can’t claim a refund and try and use them) and you lose your delivery/admin fee.

And then on the Sunday before the fest they should have a final resale. IMAGINE the joy of getting tickets right at the last minute...

Aye, just imagine something bad happening so you can't go to Glasto plus you lose your ticket money... Gutted!

Allow returns but maybe increase the admin charge i.e. last week lose £50/ticket.

11 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

They should just allow refunds right up until a week before gates open - condition of refund is that you have to post your tickets back by recorded post (so you can’t claim a refund and try and use them) and you lose your delivery/admin fee.

The issue there is that the festival will need far more certainty than a 1 week return window could provide. Imagine a disastrous weather forecast comes around the cancellation deadline - 10,000 people put their tickets back and suddenly the festival is running at a loss.

Six weeks seems like a reasonable compromise to me. It's less likely that short term events can affect the sales, and even if they do get those same 10,000 tickets back and are unable to shift them, most of the build hasn't happened yet so there's still time to make the odd infrastructure change or last minute budget cut to mitigate it to a small degree (close off one of the less popular camping fields for example, so that less infrastructure and staff are needed there).

29 minutes ago, incident said:

The issue there is that the festival will need far more certainty than a 1 week return window could provide. Imagine a disastrous weather forecast comes around the cancellation deadline - 10,000 people put their tickets back and suddenly the festival is running at a loss.

Six weeks seems like a reasonable compromise to me. It's less likely that short term events can affect the sales, and even if they do get those same 10,000 tickets back and are unable to shift them, most of the build hasn't happened yet so there's still time to make the odd infrastructure change or last minute budget cut to mitigate it to a small degree (close off one of the less popular camping fields for example, so that less infrastructure and staff are needed there).

Yes but they could specify that for medical problems, death in the family etc. You can easily provide a list of things that people would be able to get evidence for. Medical certificates, death certificates. Obviously I can't be arsed wouldn't be an acceptable one. 

5 hours ago, bombfrog said:

So, if they charged a bit more then the touts wouldn't be able to make a profit so the convoluted ticket system wouldn't be required and there would be more money to give to the charities, or to make the festival better and help ensure it has a bright future.

Of course, the people on here are never going to say that the ticket price should ever be put up, but I do wish they would admit that it's for purely selfish reasons.

Yes, they should price it high to target the Fyre Festival demographic. 

4 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Can you imagine the scramble for tickets in October if people knew they could easily sell them for double what they paid? Be full of people with no intention of going looking to make an easy £250+. The current system is as good as it could be and I for one am thankful for it 

I've been pretty successful with the current system only missing 2/7 years I've been trying to go.

Saying that I think tickets should be handed out through a knock out tournament of rock paper scissors in December at worthy farm

Someone mentioned burning man... they have a similar system in regards to the original sale (you need to be registered, can only buy a few tickets, etc) but they do have an official resale option. The key to it is this: if you try to resell the ticket for more than face value the ticket is cancelled. I think theres definitely a way glasto could implement that and prevent anyone from touting. 

Although if I were ticketless right now I would be in the process of creating some prosthetics that looked exactly like OP's photo. Cmon ppl get creative. 

25 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I’ve sold named tickets via twickets before and they give the person a letter saying that they have been resold via that website and they got in ok. 

For Glastonbury?