Proof of age for bars

37 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Going with my son this year, he’ll be 18 on 6th June. I understand you can get a wristband to prove age, rather than constantly carrying/showing your passport... anyone with any knowledge of where to do this, and how it works? Is it done at the entry gate?

thanks

Please don't quote me on this ToS but I think its done at the Lock ups. 

HMV is right, we do wristbands at the lockups. He just needs to show photo ID with proof of age on it (so passport or photocard driving license), and then he can check his ID into the lockups for the rest of the festival. More info in the link. 

http://www.festivallockups.org.uk/index.html

Edited by deepkittycaz
Added lockups website
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

HMV is right, we do wristbands at the lockups. He just needs to show photo ID with proof of age on it (so passport or photocard driving license), and then he can check his ID into the lockups for the rest of the festival. More info in the link. 

The most wonderful thing at Glastonbury are the lockups and the staff who cheerfully run them. Saving people's arses (including the provision of free toilet role ?) since 19XX....

Hey 

On 5/12/2019 at 6:11 PM, deepkittycaz said:

I am working (volunteering) at a bar this year and we have been told if we are not 100% on the person being over 21 we still need to ID, even if they have the wristband - as the wristband could be stolen / the person could have used someone else’s ID to get it. So I wouldn’t advise leaving it in the lock up or he may not be served depending on how young he looks!

Edited by Slash!1990

On 5/12/2019 at 6:11 PM, deepkittycaz said:

Please pass on my thanks to you and your colleagues who do a fantastic job each year.

10 hours ago, Slash!1990 said:

Hey 

I am working (volunteering) at a bar this year and we have been told if we are not 100% on the person being over 21 we still need to ID, even if they have the wristband - as the wristband could be stolen / the person could have used someone else’s ID to get it. So I wouldn’t advise leaving it in the lock up or he may not be served depending on how young he looks!

You are correct as bars in the past may have detected a trend and they may even ' check everyone even if they do have a Challenge 21 Wristband on '

I know its frustrating for Customers but they are not the one ending up having to pay the fine.

I was at Latitude one year and they had a similar scheme which was completely suspended for the whole event due to the fact that two 11 year olds were spotted by me with ' over 21 wristbands ' - note they were not trying to buy alcohol it was the mere fact that they had them on.Sure its a extreme example but it did happen.

Under the Licensing Act of 2003 it makes it very plain its at the ' point of sale ' - its not the person doing the checking when they issue these wristbands that can be fined ' its the person serving the Customer.

so are you with shelter/Avalon ? I know they are well run as all the directors are friends of mine { from when they used to be with the WBC }