Camper east camping question

H.M.V

Hi !

First time taking a motorhome to Glasto (...or indeed anywhere as we've hired our first) so was wondering if anyone has any tips on the essentials - filling with water and emptying things.

Complete rookie questions:

So this thread has taught me about aquarolls and fetching water to fill the tank. We have a huge water holder to carry about 25 litres at a time, but I was wondering whether there is somewhere to fill the tan a few miles outside Glasto that anyone uses before arriving? 

As for emptying the toilet cartridge and grey water from the shower - is there a disposal tank you tip it all into?

Personally I fill my onboard tank at home before departure, and take a full aquaroll.

There are water points around the camper fields but generally pretty busy and around 20-30 minute wait at peak times. Early morning / late night refilling advised !

There are also some  waste tanks in the fields for disposing of the days deposits, pretty grim by Sunday, but serves a purpose.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CeriG said:

We won’t be arriving to campervan east until lunch time on the Thursday. Can anyone estimate how far away gate C we will likely be? 30 minute walk?

Unless conditions are horrible I'd say you're unlikely to be more than 15 min walk from gate C. On the way back from gate C to your van will be a wee bit longer as you have to climb the hill of death...

12 hours ago, CeriG said:

We won’t be arriving to campervan east until lunch time on the Thursday. Can anyone estimate how far away gate C we will likely be? 30 minute walk?

I don't think I've been more than 20 minutes away, except maybe last time when it was about 25 or 30. However, we arrive on Wednesday, and the field allocation has been varied. You aren't guaranteed a far off pitch because you arrive on Thursday, I think.

Thursday lunch, if filled the same order as 2011-2015 (Didn't get on site in 2016/2017):-

East Quiet - probably back of E19 or E24 (E24 best option as can cut along hedge into E23, E20 and down the hill to Ped-C).

East - E16 or E15 (wood side of E16 best as can skirt wood and cross into E19, E20 and down to Ped-C).

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2019 at 5:18 PM, Gilb said:

Hi !

First time taking a motorhome to Glasto (...or indeed anywhere as we've hired our first) so was wondering if anyone has any tips on the essentials - filling with water and emptying things.

So this thread has taught me about aquarolls and fetching water to fill the tank. We have a huge water holder to carry about 25 litres at a time, but I was wondering whether there is somewhere to fill the tan a few miles outside Glasto that anyone uses before arriving? 

As for emptying the toilet cartridge and grey water from the shower - is there a disposal tank you tip it all into?

Yep, massive metal sewage tank that you pour your toilet cassette etc into. Situated near the toilets.

Your main water tank can be refilled by aquaroll etc. and will provide shower and taps with water.  Your toilet flush in the van will almost certainly be a separate tank in the van.  So recommend take a watering can, or old 4 pint milk plastic bottles, to use to top up the toilet flush water.

My top tip is to bring a cleaning cloth, washing up liquid and dust pan and brush for a brief clean on Saturday morning. 20 mins resetting the van, cleaning it inside, toppping up water, emptying toilet etc. makes the end of the festival so much better.  It’s like starting all over.  I do this most years, but in 2016 it made a huge difference after all the mud, and Sunday was brilliant.

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2019 at 5:18 PM, Gilb said:

Hi !

Check with the hire company what you get with the van... Do you get an Aquaroll (40 litre), toilet chemicals, grey water wastemaster (shower/sink waste), anything to protect the floor in case of bad weather (wont happen!)...

First year i went in 2007 we hired a camper and bought a cheap gazebo to use in front of the door so that we could get boots and coats etc off and not drag through the van. We also took an old dust sheet for the interior.. (2007 was horrendous mind)

How many of you are in the van.?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, NancyBoyPossum said:

Yep, massive metal sewage tank that you pour your toilet cassette etc into. Situated near the toilets.

Your main water tank can be refilled by aquaroll etc. and will provide shower and taps with water.  Your toilet flush in the van will almost certainly be a separate tank in the van.  So recommend take a watering can, or old 4 pint milk plastic bottles, to use to top up the toilet flush water.

My top tip is to bring a cleaning cloth, washing up liquid and dust pan and brush for a brief clean on Saturday morning. 20 mins resetting the van, cleaning it inside, topping up water, emptying toilet etc. makes the end of the festival so much better.  It’s like starting all over.  I do this most years, but in 2016 it made a huge difference after all the mud, and Sunday was brilliant.

Awesome info for a newbie like me! Exactly what I needed to know. Many thanks!!

13 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Check with the hire company what you get with the van... Do you get an Aquaroll (40 litre), toilet chemicals, grey water wastemaster (shower/sink waste), anything to protect the floor in case of bad weather (wont happen!)...

First year i went in 2007 we hired a camper and bought a cheap gazebo to use in front of the door so that we could get boots and coats etc off and not drag through the van. We also took an old dust sheet for the interior.. (2007 was horrendous mind)

How many of you are in the van.?

We don't have an Aquaroll but I think the chemicals are all in the MH. It's a private hire so I'll check with the owner.

The MH has a big awning and air-tent attached so that gives us some dry room to change boots and clean mud if it's necessary.

There's only 2 of us. 

This is our MH :)

BE4B322C-7A6D-4726-975B-C2629FF61117.jpe

11 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Awesome info for a newbie like me! Exactly what I needed to know. Many thanks!!

We don't have an Aquaroll but I think the chemicals are all in the MH. It's a private hire so I'll check with the owner.

The MH has a big awning and air-tent attached so that gives us some dry room to change boots and clean mud if it's necessary.

There's only 2 of us. 

This is our MH :)

BE4B322C-7A6D-4726-975B-C2629FF61117.jpe

looks a beauty...

the awning will be great outdoor space which is really useful from Tues-Thurs and for mornings.. (it wont be muddy so wont be used for that...)

the reason i asked how many of you was to see how much resource (water,battery,gas) you may use... It shouldnt be much with just 2 of you. There are 6 of us in a caravan and 2 tents so we take double everything...

The great thing with these vehicles is that you can carry loads of stuff...  Take some camping chairs and a table for morning brew and brekkie.. we load a couple of cold boxes with beer and ice blocks and take a portable bbq for tuesday eve (steaks, red wine, cheese and port...)

It is a really friendy bunch in the CV fields anything you get stuck with (technical on the van or otherwise) just ask about. People will help.

I note your profile has you in Peterborough.. I am only 10 miles away, it is quite a trek.

Enjoy.!

12 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

looks a beauty...

the awning will be great outdoor space which is really useful from Tues-Thurs and for mornings.. (it wont be muddy so wont be used for that...)

the reason i asked how many of you was to see how much resource (water,battery,gas) you may use... It shouldnt be much with just 2 of you. There are 6 of us in a caravan and 2 tents so we take double everything...

The great thing with these vehicles is that you can carry loads of stuff...  Take some camping chairs and a table for morning brew and brekkie.. we load a couple of cold boxes with beer and ice blocks and take a portable bbq for tuesday eve (steaks, red wine, cheese and port...)

It is a really friendy bunch in the CV fields anything you get stuck with (technical on the van or otherwise) just ask about. People will help.

I note your profile has you in Peterborough.. I am only 10 miles away, it is quite a trek.

Enjoy.!

Our campervan is exactly 8metres long (the length of the standard pitch). We will be putting the awning up too..... will there also be room for a small 3 man tent? Or is that pushing it?

4 minutes ago, CeriG said:

Our campervan is exactly 8metres long (the length of the standard pitch). We will be putting the awning up too..... will there also be room for a small 3 man tent? Or is that pushing it?

per the earlier responses in this thread... It should be fine.

Our group of 6 has 2 in the caravan, 2 in the awning annexe and 2 in a tent. Our friends travel with us and have a CV and 2 small tents. We have done this for some years without problem but that doesnt mean that it will continue like that..

I am off to Bearded Theory tomorrow and they have suggested that they have marked out individual 7.5m x 7.5m pitches.

46 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

looks a beauty...

Enjoy.!

This is my 7th Glasto and I fancied a change from the tent and gambling with the weather (obviously it's going to be amazing like 2017 but just on the off-chance it does a 2016...) plus not having to queue for hours and then find a good pitch dragging a tent/bag/booze combination behind me is a major bonus!

Yes I'm in Pboro, picking the MH up from Huntingdon on Tuesday.
Glasto is never too far away and the journey down is just going to build the excitement!

1 hour ago, ICGenie said:

Cheers for this @H.M.V ?

Can someone remind me what the ticket / wristband situation will be for me arriving by coach?

You get your wristband coming off the coach at gate A. Then wander over to gate C (?) and get a pass out to meet at the van. You're arriving late so we'll probably meet on site and walk back together. Everything will he set up. Watch the fireworks. Can leave your bag in the lock ups in T&C. ?

• Upvote 1

I took a motorhome with an awning and a small tent in 2016. Everyone was towed in that year so there wasn't a lot of choice (we had to go right next to the entrance) still only 15m walk. The ground was totally churned up by the tractors. Water-rollers looked to be a nightmare - everyone resorting to carrying them instead of rolling them. So having an alternative is a good idea unless you are super strong. Also a massive ground sheet to put between your tent and awning or just pitch the tent under the awning if it's bad. Also make sure you know where your tow hook is and whether it's attached front or back. Of course it's going to be scorchio so this advice is totally unnecessary. 

23 hours ago, CeriG said:

The CV pitches in CV East & West are 8M * 7M anything longer then 8M is Bath & West so I'd double check the measurements in case the stewards think its bigger....

We've had no issues with tents, gazebos etc provided we stick within the allocated area and don't obstruct the fire-lanes.

in 2015 we had 3 CV's so got them positioned and as soon as our row was full shuffled them around so we had a large space between two CV's and two squashed into one pitch - we had three tents and a gazebo up and had no complaints at all.

2016 we were sent to B&W as the VW T2 didn't have a tow hook mounting point....

Edited by Penrhos

26 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

The CV pitches in CV East & West are 8M * 7M anything longer then 8M is Bath & West so I'd double check the measurements in case the stewards think its bigger....

We've had no issues with tents, gazebos etc provided we stick within the allocated area and don't obstruct the fire-lanes.

in 2015 we had 3 CV's so got them positioned and as soon as our row was full shuffled them around so we had a large space between two CV's and two squashed into one pitch - we had three tents and a gazebo up and had no complaints at all.

2016 we were sent to B&W as the VW T2 didn't have a tow hook mounting point....

The camper is bang on 8 metres long so we only got a standard pitch. I'm guessing with the awning coming out too there wont be room for a 3 man tent also.

3 hours ago, CeriG said:

The camper is bang on 8 metres long so we only got a standard pitch. I'm guessing with the awning coming out too there wont be room for a 3 man tent also.

I may be wrong but I don't see how they can enforce standard pitch size as most car-caravan combos exceed 8m in length and they're in the same fields alongside campervans.  It may be practical to mark  out pitches at smaller festivals but I don't see it happening at Glasto.  As long as you don't encroach into the fire lanes I think you should be ok with the tent. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

HI all, really useful info for a first timer! Question to add - how can one of our group meet us in the East campervan field on the Tuesday if she arrives by train?? Can she get a taxi from Castle Cary to the entrance of campervan field and walk in? Or would she have to wait til 9pm when car park opens? Or are both a no-go? Trying to avoid bringing another car....

3 hours ago, hlb513 said:

HI all, really useful info for a first timer! Question to add - how can one of our group meet us in the East campervan field on the Tuesday if she arrives by train?? Can she get a taxi from Castle Cary to the entrance of campervan field and walk in? Or would she have to wait til 9pm when car park opens? Or are both a no-go? Trying to avoid bringing another car....

I think both are a no go without a car. Getting a taxi into the CV fields is not possible without a CV pass,  all taxis have to drop off at the rank situated near gate A. It's a long walk from there on the road to gate C. I would recommend starting a new thread on this in case someone has an answer. :)

10 hours ago, hlb513 said:

Cars turn off into parking about a mile before the vans on East, and then there's another (half) mile maybe along a smaller road (one way) onto the fields, so the taxi can't get that way.

Also, you can't access the cv fields from gate A, as the site won't open till Wednesday morning, and therefore you can't cross the site to come out of gate C.

If your friend can get to East car parking, she may be able to walk in there, and then walk along to get to the outside of gate C to then walk up and meet you in the fields. It's a long walk. We're using What3Words to pinpoint where we are on site.

However, I've no idea if that is allowed, as the only time I've known of someone walking into parking was that time of real mud and we were diverted after queuing to the Bath showground. I was giving a lift to someone, and they got out of the van to walk in. The state of emergency may have allowed rules to be flexible.

Edited by carlosj

21 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

I think both are a no go without a car. Getting a taxi into the CV fields is not possible without a CV pass,  all taxis have to drop off at the rank situated near gate A. It's a long walk from there on the road to gate C. I would recommend starting a new thread on this in case someone has an answer. :)

I agree on the new thread idea.  This is an interesting question!  Campervan entry is via Pylle Lane, off the A37. In theory, the taxi could follow the blue route (campers) to drop this person off.  But, where does it go after drop off? I could see it being stopped before it turned off the A37. 

That leaves the car park fields.  It's been many years now since I went in the car, and I went down Pylle Lane but was split off earlier.  I've seen on more recent maps though, different entries off the A37 before Pylle Lane for parking. I suspect the taxi won't know where to go.

Would be interesting to know what the answer is!