Camper east camping question

H.M.V

Hi all

First time in campervan east and we want to have an awning and tent. Now from reading previous threads this doesn't seem to be a problem but thought I'd double check. 

Potentially how many can you have camped with you in your pitch? Thinking one big tent for three people, awning and our 4 berth caravan. Is that going to be a problem? 

TIA 

we always have managed to get our caravan. awning, car and a 4 man tent in our pitch area no problems.  When you get directed to where they want you to park up wind the window down and tell them you have an awning and a tent to go up and they will park the next one a little bit further away from you. 

2 minutes ago, bimblebee said:

we always have managed to get our caravan. awning, car and a 4 man tent in our pitch area no problems.  When you get directed to where they want you to park up wind the window down and tell them you have an awning and a tent to go up and they will park the next one a little bit further away from you. 

Brilliant. That's what I thought but I got sent the terms and conditions and just wanted to confirm in my head I was correct. 

Brilliant thanks for that. Helps put my camping buddies worries at ease. :D 

Are there many waterpoints? Thinking for showers in the morning and the brew before we set off? 5 of us in total. So 2 in the caravan and 3 in the tent. Do you think we can also use a small pop up tent for extra storage or would that be taking the Michael? 

24 minutes ago, H.M.V said:Brilliant thanks for that. Helps put my camping buddies worries at ease. :D 

Are there many waterpoints? Thinking for showers in the morning and the brew before we set off? 5 of us in total. So 2 in the caravan and 3 in the tent. Do you think we can also use a small pop up tent for extra storage or would that be taking the Michael? 

Water points as marked on this map.  So not too many.  The one in E20 can be busy at times at it serves quite a wide area.  So depends on whether you’re in quiet or normal.  If you can, bring a couple of full waterrolls with you.  We find 1 full 40 litre waterroll lasts 2 days with 2 of us showering every morning.  Have to be frugal mind.  So we only have to refill them once whilst there.

Additional small pop up will be fine as long as you’re not blocking your neighbours etc.

6B275D08-4A71-41A1-A242-2640757FA894.png

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

If all 5 of you are showering daily make sure you bring a second battery, my friends brother, wife and niece joined them in 2010. Their battery was flat by Saturday morning. These are a good back up, and use little water too. My poor friends husband spent hours dally emptying both the grey water and loo plus getting more fresh water. The 3 guests did nothing to help so devise a rota that is fair. I think he was relieved when the battery went flat!  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Ltd-4140A0000-PortaShower/dp/B001ULCILM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=hozelock+shower&qid=1557682411&s=gateway&sr=8-1 :)

Edited by StoneCircle

I've found the space varies over time and the field. We've always been packed in (Wednesday afternoon). If you are able to get your tent close to your caravan that will be easier to persuade the steward, I think, and keep space between the next one for fire safety. You'll have enough space for that storage tent but think on security for things in it. I use a brew barrel and a small trolley to fill the motorhome tank, which is easier to transport. The taps are plastic pipes, about 20mm diameter.

For showers, try a navy/sailor shower for water conservation, if your guests don't already know about them. The other thing I take is collapsible stacking boxes so my group can stash things away easily, as normally there's just me and MrsCJ in the van, rather than 6 using the facilities.

We've already agreed that we would take turns to get the water for daily shower and will have two aquarolls on hand rather than one. No go for water = no shower. Doesn't even need that as we've all already agreed to take turns. x

3 hours ago, psychology said:

If you can manage it get water when you come back at night when there is never a queue, a bit challenging after a few drinks but much easier ?

this...

or if like me you cant sleep in the morninga, 06:30 with a hangover works...

I wouldn't bother taking filled aquarolls - huge amount of extra weight on board. Make sure they're easy to get at so filling them can be one of first jobs once you've parked up. We have a portable loo in a small tent next to the caravan, which certainly makes life easier in the morning with 4 of us using the facilities. I definitely recommend the portashower. Not only do you save the battery, you don't have to wait for the van's water heater, just use the kettle, and one fill will just about stretch to 2 showers. 

On 5/12/2019 at 5:19 PM, H.M.V said:

This feels like a terrible admission (especially given what I said about not taking water!)  but we do take around 20 litres of bottled water for drinks in the van. The water from the standpipes in the cv fields is safe to drink but can taste pretty grim, ruining your morning cuppa. We do drink a lot of tea...

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2019 at 3:34 PM, H.M.V said:

Brilliant. That's what I thought but I got sent the terms and conditions and just wanted to confirm in my head I was correct. 

Got me panicking now, when did you receive that? 

Also, a gazebo is ok instead of an awning isn’t it? Doing the tent thing too. 

8 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

I wouldn't bother taking filled aquarolls - huge amount of extra weight on board. Make sure they're easy to get at so filling them can be one of first jobs once you've parked up. We have a portable loo in a small tent next to the caravan, which certainly makes life easier in the morning with 4 of us using the facilities. I definitely recommend the portashower. Not only do you save the battery, you don't have to wait for the van's water heater, just use the kettle, and one fill will just about stretch to 2 showers. 

8 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

This feels like a terrible admission (especially given what I said about not taking water!)  but we do take around 20 litres of bottled water for drinks in the van. The water from the standpipes in the cv fields is safe to drink but can taste pretty grim, ruining your morning cuppa. We do drink a lot of tea...

Agreed with both of these...

children (albeit not young) are dispatched to get water immediately we land...(both aquarolls!)

bottled water for the cuppa is a must 

we use the caravan shower (you need to run around to get wet mind) and so water and gas (for heating) and battery (for pump) are utilised.

we take 2 gas cylinders and extra batteries, plus a solar charger.!! I got caught one year... but, I hasten to add we are big consumers (6 of us - at least 3 wanting a daily shower). One of the leisure batteries is used for charging up phones using the set up in attached photo

we are a bit OTT but 6 adults in the group (2 in the caravan, 2 in the awning bedroom attachment, 2 in a tent...

42DF57B6-B78D-4530-AB1D-8EF121B43FD1.jpeg

All advise duly noted. I know how different water can taste in different parts of the country. We can be a bit spoiled in Cumbria so will take some decent water for me morning cuppa. Sets you up for the day.

Thought it might be easier at night to fill. Just depends on state when we get back to camp. Have said everyone needs to take turns getting water so will have two aquarolls for camp. Just to make sure. We already have a platinum battery and the original as a spare. Will have two gas as well and will put any that weighs a lot in the back of the Kuga. 

Can't decide what to take for breakfast? Not a big fry up person and more a coffee and a fag in the morning type. (quit smoking but you get the jist) What's a good camp breakfast? 

21 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

All advise duly noted. I know how different water can taste in different parts of the country. We can be a bit spoiled in Cumbria so will take some decent water for me morning cuppa. Sets you up for the day.

Thought it might be easier at night to fill. Just depends on state when we get back to camp. Have said everyone needs to take turns getting water so will have two aquarolls for camp. Just to make sure. We already have a platinum battery and the original as a spare. Will have two gas as well and will put any that weighs a lot in the back of the Kuga. 

Can't decide what to take for breakfast? Not a big fry up person and more a coffee and a fag in the morning type. (quit smoking but you get the jist) What's a good camp breakfast? 

Probably depends on the night before, but assuming you have a fridge and a hob/grill in the van, you have loads of options. We like cereal so our caravan fridge is crammed with filtered milk (lasts better than standard pasteurised). And it's nice to have a ham and cheese toastie that doesn't cost a stupid amount of money. We've had pancakes too. The mixture lasts several days in the fridge so you can make it beforehand. Don't store it in a milk container though, however conspicuously labelled. Someone is guaranteed to put it in their coffee.

Flapjacks or pancakes make a nice change from bacon, sausage & eggs or cereal for breakfast. 

I'll probably start the day with an omelette with peppers/onions/mushrooms in. The advantage is none of those ingredients need refrigerating for the duration of the festival, leaving more space in the fridge for beer.

I take a large 5L bottle of water from the supermarket for tea/coffee etc and use the standpipe water for washing etc.

Being there for the week we do like a bacon sarnie... cereal and fruit also get taken.

again, if you are an early morning person a wander down the hill to the bakers opposite Kids Field for pastries, fresh rolls & bread...

we take a couple of big cold boxes for beer and shift to the fridge as you use up food. Milk, bacon, sausage can all be frozen.

6 hours ago, Penrhos said:

Flapjacks or pancakes make a nice change from bacon, sausage & eggs or cereal for breakfast. 

I'll probably start the day with an omelette with peppers/onions/mushrooms in. The advantage is none of those ingredients need refrigerating for the duration of the festival, leaving more space in the fridge for beer.

I take a large 5L bottle of water from the supermarket for tea/coffee etc and use the standpipe water for washing etc.

Oh omelette, the perfect solution. It's the one thing i can eat in the morning and can be filled. Genius. 

16 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Oh omelette, the perfect solution. It's the one thing i can eat in the morning and can be filled. Genius. 

And zero points on Weight Watchers......Leaving 26 for beer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Penrhos said:

And zero points on Weight Watchers......Leaving 26 for beer.

Don't forget, you can claim future points, ie eat tomorrow's allowance today. Which is then negated by the scientific fact that eating whilst away from home carries no points. Result!

And the amount of walking you do gains points too - I did 75 Miles in four days in 2017....

I will be hitting Gandhi's Flip-Flop for a nice veggie curry, finding the Jamaican pastie stand and avoiding burgers, pizza and the worst of the junk food as well as there is plenty of decent food to be had (I did the same in 2017 and actually lost weight over the festival period).